FAQ
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:52 pm

iNow
Post  Post subject: My First Sci-Fi Book Was...  |  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:53 pm
Original Member
Original Member

In this thread, let's share with the membership what was the first science fiction novel you read, what you remember about it, and if you've read it again since that first time.

I'll start...

My first sci-fi book (that I can remember... and TBH, I really don't remember, so I'll say it) was Carl Sagan's Contact. I think I'd read other sci-fi books earlier in life, but this is the first one I really remember that struck me and stayed with me and altered the way I think. I remember finding it so accessible and the story so interesting, and loved that I was learning new things without being beaten over the head with the data and facts. It was also the first time I'd encountered the concept of wormholes (interesting, since Carl and Kip Thorne came up with the idea specifically for this novel). I then picked up 2001, 2010, and also read 3001 by Aurthur C. Clarke because of all of the great things I'd heard about them. I still have a lot of reading I want to do, I just don't often have time to sit and dive into a book for a few hours like I used to.

What about you? What was your first sci-fi book?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: My First Sci-Fi Book Was...  |  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:57 pm

Asimov's "The Currents of Space"

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: My First Sci-Fi Book Was...  |  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:04 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Mine was probably a Tom Swift, Jr. tale. I used to pick up used books from the thrift store as a kid of about 7 or 8 and I remember one Tom Swift novel where Swift was on the Moon, which turned out to have an abundant resource of edible material that was spongy and protein rich (cheese-like you might even say). Swift had to get back to earth using his space-suit and a jet pack, which he guided to the jet stream to help slow his decent.

But I may possibly have read some Jules Verne novels around that time as well. Difficult to pin down which was first.

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: My First Sci-Fi Book Was...  |  Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:39 am
Original Member
Original Member

A stack of Dr Who books.

During this I started reading Asimov and went all over from there.

DrRocket
Post  Post subject: Re: My First Sci-Fi Book Was...  |  Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:14 am
Original Member
Original Member

iNow wrote:

What about you? What was your first sci-fi book?

I can't attest that it was the very first, but certainly one of the first and the first memorable book, was Asimov's Foundation Trilogy. It remains my favorite.

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: My First Sci-Fi Book Was...  |  Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:41 am
Original Member
Original Member

Quote:
It remains my favorite.
Agreed!

Ophiolite
Post  Post subject: Re: My First Sci-Fi Book Was...  |  Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:06 pm
Original Member
Original Member

DrRocket wrote:
I can't attest that it was the very first, but certainly one of the first and the first memorable book, was Asimov's Foundation Trilogy. It remains my favorite.

What was your view of the sequels and prequels, including those written by the three B's?

I think my first SF book was Twenth Thousand Leagues Under the Sea.

At around the same time I read a series by a Scottish writer and journalist Angus Macvicar, based on a children's radio series: The Lost Planet. On one occassion when I went to purchase the latest in the series none was available, so with pocket money burning a hole in my pocket I bought Mission to Mars by Patrick Moore instead. That led to me buying some of Moore's popular astronomy books, which led to an interest in astronomy. Since I was crap at maths I decided that after the universe the next biggest thing was the Earth, so I majored in geology at university, not astronomy. Which led to me being who and where and what I am today.

SpeedFreek
Post  Post subject: Re: My First Sci-Fi Book Was...  |  Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:35 pm

I suppose we all have to start somewhere - my introduction to Sci-Fi was through...

Alan Dean Foster

Icerigger, Flinx of the Commonwealth and a particularly bad sequel to Star Wars, anyone?

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: My First Sci-Fi Book Was...  |  Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:46 pm
Original Member
Original Member

When I was very young, an uncle had given me C. S. Lewis's Space Trilogy.
Sometime in elementary school I was introduced to Madeleine L'Engle. I don't recall if I made it to A Swiftly Tilting Planet, or not.
My first significant Sci-Fi experience would have to be Frank Herbert's Dune in Jr. High.
Of course I know all about John Carter of Mars.
Read lot's of Silverberg.
Damn, I think I just gave myself a massive fiction jones.
I'll have to stop and look at some books on my way to work.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: My First Sci-Fi Book Was...  |  Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:41 am
Original Member
Original Member

I can't remember my first book's title but it was a collection of short stories. As a kid, one caught my attention, written by Charles Tanner in the early '30's. The story was titled Tumithak of the Corridors. Forced to live a subterranean existence by Earth conquering aliens who dwell on the surface, one man rises above the others to slay the evil Shelks. I prefer short Sci-Fi stories far more than a novel probably because this one impressed me so much.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

agarwaen
Post  Post subject: Re: My First Sci-Fi Book Was...  |  Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:18 pm

My Very First Sci-Fi Book Was....

Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End.

I was probably a little young for it as I was in the 3rd Grade (my reading teacher questioned the authenticity of a book report I'd done on it) and had some trouble with some of the ideas if I remember correctly but I do remember thoroughly enjoying it. It was the first time I ever actually considered that we aren't alone in the Universe and that everything about life may not be all fuzzy bunnies and pretty flowers. This book led me to the 2001, 2010, 2061 and 3001 "series" which I read at various times in my life. Arthur C. Clarke was an amazing man.

Oddly, I have never gone back and read it again as I am wont to do with the books I enjoy.

On a sidenote; This first book and author gave me insights and kernels of thought but nothing else changed me and my Universe like Carl Sagan did. I miss him.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: My First Sci-Fi Book Was...  |  Posted: Sat May 05, 2012 6:19 am

imo the only really good book Clarke has written
the rest are ok, but i never got into some of his other stories like you could with Asimov, Heinlein, Van Vogt, Aldiss, Harrison etc.etc.

Paper Wings
Post  Post subject: Re: My First Sci-Fi Book Was...  |  Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:44 am

If you like Clarke then you should read, The City and the Stars, The Light of Other Days and any one of the short story collections. My Sci-Fi debut was made with 'Foundation' by Asimov, which of course led to reading the rest of the series.

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: My First Sci-Fi Book Was...  |  Posted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:34 pm
Original Member
Original Member

While I can't be certain it was the very first sc-fi book I read, the Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham must have been one of the very first, followed by the Chrysalids by the same author. Then in high school Eng. Lit. we read a book of short stories that included E.M.Forster's "The Machine Stops", a future-dystopian story about dependence on technology - written in 1909. Humans sit in their rooms looking at screens and listening to monitors, communicating electronically and rarely seeing other people in the flesh; but they have thousands of "friends": ring any bells? Meanwhile, to avoid insanity they seek "ideas". The most memorable line, I think, was when one of the protagonists actually leaves her room to travel (by airship). She looks out the window as they fly over Greece and says "No ideas there."

Here's a 1966 TV adaptation.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 3855159236

(They left out the line about Greece!)

Moontanman
Post  Post subject: Re: My First Sci-Fi Book Was...  |  Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:50 am

I think the first science fiction novel I ever read was "When Worlds Collide" and "After Worlds Collide"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/When_Worlds_Collide

I don't remember much about the details but it set me off on an exploration of science fiction.

"Glory Road" is one of the first I remember vividly, very naughty for a teen age boy back then, Heinlein was a dirty old man and who could forget "Stranger in a Strange Land" "Red Planet" or "Star Beast" "I will fear no Evil" was a thriller for me...

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: My First Sci-Fi Book Was...  |  Posted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:38 am

Douglas Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Well, if you're going to start somewhere, may as well start with the best 8-)

'The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perceptions tend to be.' Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt: Hitchhiking the Galaxy One Last Time

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: My First Sci-Fi Book Was...  |  Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:28 pm

I know this is an old thread. Hope it is OK to post here . . .

I really don't remember the first SF book I read but it may have been "The Sioux Spaceman", 1960, by Andre Norton. I read a half-dozen of her works back then before I go onto Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Azimov, Ray Bradbury, Heinlein, and other old timers.