FAQ
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:15 pm

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Ethical Science - Think Again!  |  Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:33 pm

I came across this article from 2003 by accident. However, it caused me a considerable amount of discomfort and I felt that I had to share it. I would call it an investigation into unethical behaviour and it presents findings that scientists and rational thinkers should be concerned about.

Quote:
Hundreds of articles in medical journals claiming to be written by academics or doctors have been penned by ghostwriters in the pay of drug companies, an Observer inquiry reveals.

The journals, bibles of the profession, have huge influence on which drugs doctors prescribe and the treatment hospitals provide. But The Observer has uncovered evidence that many articles written by so-called independent academics may have been penned by writers working for agencies which receive huge sums from drug companies to plug their products.

Estimates suggest that almost half of all articles published in journals are by ghostwriters. While doctors who have put their names to the papers can be paid handsomely for 'lending' their reputations, the ghostwriters remain hidden. They, and the involvement of the pharmaceutical firms, are rarely revealed.

These papers endorsing certain drugs are paraded in front of GPs as independent research to persuade them to prescribe the drugs.

In February the New England Journal of Medicine was forced to retract an article published last year by doctors from Imperial College in London and the National Heart Institute on treating a type of heart problem. It emerged that several of the listed authors had little or nothing to do with the research. The deception was revealed only when German cardiologist Dr Hubert Seggewiss, one of the eight listed authors, called the editor of the journal to say he had never seen any version of the paper.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2003/dec/07/health.businessofresearch

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Ethical Science - Think Again!  |  Posted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:22 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Sad. It reminds me of how here in the US a fairly sizable portion of all legislation that gets written is written directly by lobbyists.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Ethical Science - Think Again!  |  Posted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:33 pm

which is why Ben Goldacre's Bad Pharma is such a must-read

the ghost-writing part is only one of many abominations

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Re: Ethical Science - Think Again!  |  Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:35 pm

marnixR wrote:
which is why Ben Goldacre's Bad Pharma is such a must-read

I have just read the Wiki article and I am horrified. Why are researchers and the rational thinking people of this Forum not protesting the 'old boy' networks and shady practices that appear to dominate the Pharma world?

Maybe I am naive, but I thought clinical trials represented the best efforts of scientists to finally manufacture a product which could, ultimately, extend life, restore health and therefore mitigate the suffering of those people that we love and who happen to fall ill. How bloody wrong could I have been?!

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: Ethical Science - Think Again!  |  Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:12 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Indeed horribly despicable.

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: Ethical Science - Think Again!  |  Posted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:25 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Quote:

Testing of drugs restricted or banned by the FDA on populations in developing countries, where the FDA has no jurisdiction is another. The book and film The Constant Gardener supposedly is about Pfizer’s trial of Trovan on African children, although the author, John le Carre claims any similarity is coincidental.