FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:55 pm

iNow
Post  Post subject: Trash: Repository for Deleted Posts w/Futilitist  |  Posted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:57 pm
Original Member
Original Member

This thread will serve as a repository for posts that are submitted by Futilitist that ignore the repeated warnings that have been given, or which are otherwise deemed to be better located here than elsewhere in the forum.

Decisions are made at the discretion of the staff of this site who have full authority to act as they see fit. A reminder may be useful that this is in full accordance with the user agreement to which every member agreed when creating their account here.

From the User Agreement:
Quote:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “The Science Forum” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “The Science Forum” has the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: Trash: Repository for Deleted Posts w/Futilitist  |  Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:14 pm

I just got here and I haven't done anything wrong yet. I don't plan to do anything that violates the rules of this site. Why on Earth would you set this up?

---Futilitist :ugeek:

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: a question  |  Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:08 pm

Just a quick question. iNow, why did you set up a repository for my comments in the trash can? I certainly haven't done anything to warrant that since I've been back. I really do want some serious feedback on my theory and I would like to think of thescienceforum.net as a safe place to discuss science. What gives?

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: It's good to be back  |  Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:57 pm

Hello everyone,

I have just returned from a brief sabbatical and I have started a new topic in the Scientific Study of Religion section. Here is a link to that thread:

topic934.html

Also, here is a link to my newly created repository in the trash can:

topic950.html

I look forward to some fun and interesting science discussions on this site. Thank you.

---Futililitst :ugeek:

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: What is the purpose of this forum?  |  Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:11 pm

Ophiolite wrote:
I hope that answers your question.

Clearly it doesn't.

There are other science forums out there. They have similar sorts of mastheads that make similar claims. But it is questionable whether they live up to them. Please take a look at the short discussion below. Is this a science discussion? Is science education being promoted?

From sciforums.com:
Ophiolite wrote:
You mean because he (Futilitist) is a frigging arrogant, deluded, snide, despicable, manipulative asshole? Yes, I can see that as a possibility. Shit, did I say that out loud? Sorry.

Futilitist wrote:
I'll bet you are not a different Ophiolite than the one I already know. Am I right?

I think you are a frigging arrogant, deluded, snide, despicable, manipulative asshole, too.

We are off to a pretty good start, huh?

I want to talk to you about bunbury's ad hominem.

Ophiolite wrote:
1st Corinthians Chapter 9 Verse 22

Futilitist wrote:
What the hell is your problem? Stop throwing bible quotes at me.

Here is one for you:

Matthew 5:22

BTW, did you like my bible quote?

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: GROUP THINK IN INTERNET FORUMS an EXPERIMENT  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:39 am

Is this thread still open?

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: groupthink and internet forums  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:56 am

[quote="iNow"][color=#0000FF]Mod Note: It was in error that futilitist was allowed to return from his ban. The situation has now been rectified.[/color][/quote]

And now the situation has been unrectified once again. I'm getting dizzy.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: GROUP THINK IN INTERNET FORUMS an EXPERIMENT  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:57 am

I guess so.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: groupthink and internet forums  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:06 am

Futilitist wrote:
iNow wrote:
Mod Note: It was in error that futilitist was allowed to return from his ban. The situation has now been rectified.

And now the situation has been unrectified once again. I'm getting dizzy.

Sorry, my preferences suddenly went crazy.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: GROUP THINK IN INTERNET FORUMS an EXPERIMENT  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:07 am

Futilitist wrote:
I guess so.

Sorry, for some strange reason my preferences went all funny. I fixed them.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Why did iNow change my Control Panel Preferences?  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:25 am

Last edited by Futilitist on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: Why did iNow change my Control Panel Preferences?  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:28 am

iNow,

Why did you change all of my preferences in my control panel? You even wrote "funny" stuff in my profile for others to see. That does not seem like a very mature thing to do. Also, I can no longer send PM's. Why are you doing this to me?

---Futilitst

Last edited by Futilitist on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: Why did iNow change my Control Panel Preferences?  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:32 am

I don't want to play games with you. I am going to bed. Do whatever you want.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: Why did iNow change my Control Panel Preferences?  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:44 am

Are you reading my PM's?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Why did iNow change my Control Panel Preferences?  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:45 am

i leave it up to iNow to reply as to why he restricted your access to PMs, but i can have a good guess as to why : i received one last night, which i've read but haven't replied to yet
however, receiving a PM questioning the actions of another moderator is just the type of thing i don't want to see + i'm sure iNow tried to stop the trickle of PMs before it turned into a glut

so my advice is : concentrate on the ideas you want to discuss and don't get distracted into accusations about mod actions or perceived slights from other members
you'll be surprised how soon the latter fall away as soon as you concentrate on ideas in your posts rather than moan about people

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: Why did iNow change my Control Panel Preferences?  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:39 am

marnixR wrote:
i leave it up to iNow to reply as to why he restricted your access to PMs, but i can have a good guess as to why : i received one last night, which i've read but haven't replied to yet
however, receiving a PM questioning the actions of another moderator is just the type of thing i don't want to see + i'm sure iNow tried to stop the trickle of PMs before it turned into a glut

so my advice is : concentrate on the ideas you want to discuss and don't get distracted into accusations about mod actions or perceived slights from other members
you'll be surprised how soon the latter fall away as soon as you concentrate on ideas in your posts rather than moan about people

Everything on my system was suddenly upside down! None of the buttons worked. That makes it a little hard to concentrate on my ideas. Can you understand that? I sent you a message about a legitimate issue, but you don't care. Great.

You are OK with a mod changing my profile behind my back so that it says insulting things about me for other members to read? That doesn't seem like an abuse of his position to you? Is that funny to you, too? Wow. That is probably why your site is so popular.

marnixR's post on Groupthink wrote:
What is groupthink ?

and especially the following 8 characteristics :

1. Illusion of invulnerability –Creates excessive optimism that encourages taking extreme risks.
2. Collective rationalization – Members discount warnings and do not reconsider their assumptions.
3. Belief in inherent morality – Members believe in the rightness of their cause and therefore ignore the ethical or moral consequences of their decisions.
4. Stereotyped views of out-groups – Negative views of “enemy” make effective responses to conflict seem unnecessary.
5. Direct pressure on dissenters – Members are under pressure not to express arguments against any of the group’s views.
6. Self-censorship – Doubts and deviations from the perceived group consensus are not expressed.
7. Illusion of unanimity – The majority view and judgments are assumed to be unanimous.
8. Self-appointed ‘mindguards’ – Members protect the group and the leader from information that is problematic or contradictory to the group’s cohesiveness, view, and/or decisions.

You guys were confused about #2. Let me clear it up for you. I am warning you that iNow is a danger to your site because of his sadistic and abusive tactics. But you refuse to listen and instead just encourage him to shit on me more. Thanks a lot.

Forget it. I don't want to post on your site. iNow is your problem, not mine. I don't care anymore.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: Why did iNow change my Control Panel Preferences?  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:23 am

Guess what,

Now I can't even make a post in my theory on the evolution of religion thread. If I try to post, it just disappears. It does not go to the trash. How would you suggest I concentrate on my ideas when I can't even post them. Answer that one marnixR. This is total bullshit!! Either iNow is lying to you, or you are afraid of him. Either way, you are screwed. Good luck.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: A NEW THEORY ON THE EVOLUTION OF RELIGION  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:59 am

MarnixR,

I just figured out where my posts were going. I post them at the end of the thread and they end up here at the beginning. How is that possible? Also, I have never seen your post above before. This is totally confusing. iNow is ruining the continuity of this thread. Please note the dates on the posts. This is impossible. He is using his mod powers to fuck with me constantly. Please explain how I should just concentrate on the ideas.

I think you mentioned Gould. I don't think he was right about this one, and that is not just my humble opinion. That is the best answer I can give under the circumstances until I can post more freely. Please note that I am trying my best.

I think you let me back in to let iNow torture me again. Prove me wrong.

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: A NEW THEORY ON THE EVOLUTION OF RELIGION  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:31 am
Original Member
Original Member

You are nearly always on top because you post so incessantly. Drop the conspiracy theories. It is only you who are seeing them everywhere. You are seriously unravelling my friend.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: A NEW THEORY ON THE EVOLUTION OF RELIGION  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:32 am

marnixR,

Here is the order of the post time stamps that I see on my system right now (prior to making this post).

Page 1
Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:58 am
Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:31 pm
Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:04 am
Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:16 am
Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:17 am
Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:59 am

Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:28 am
Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:34 am
Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:38 pm
Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:49 pm

Page 2
Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:52 pm
Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:07 pm
Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:05 pm
Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:23 pm
Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:48 pm
Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:03 am
Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:04 am
Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:34 am
Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:46 am
Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:17 am

Page 3
Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:25 am

The ones in purple should be at the end, not the beginning. Please explain how this is happening. Thanks.

EDIT---note---KALSTER just posted before me.

Last edited by Futilitist on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: A NEW THEORY ON THE EVOLUTION OF RELIGION  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:33 am

KALSTER wrote:
You are nearly always on top because you post so incessantly. Drop the conspiracy theories. It is only you who are seeing them everywhere. You are seriously unravelling my friend.

Go to hell!

Futilitist :ugeek:

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: A NEW THEORY ON THE EVOLUTION OF RELIGION  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:34 am

Good night.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: A NEW THEORY ON THE EVOLUTION OF RELIGION  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:08 pm

Here is a screen capture of what I see on my computer:

Please note the date of this post. Sunday, Dec. 9. It is the first post on page one, yet the thread actually began on Saturday, Dec. 8.

Please note this is page one of the thread. The mod note purple text says that:
Quote:
...the posts from that other thread have been merged here and can be seen above.
What, above page one? That is simply not possible. Is this the way page one looks to everyone, or just me?

This next one is from page two:

Monday Dec. 10 somehow comes before Saturday Dec. 8! How is that possible? Saturday, Dec. 8 was the first post and Monday, Dec. 10 is the last!

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: A NEW THEORY ON THE EVOLUTION OF RELIGION  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:17 pm

Futilitist wrote:
MarnixR,

I just figured out where my posts were going. I post them at the end of the thread and they end up here at the beginning. How is that possible? Also, I have never seen your post above before. This is totally confusing. iNow is ruining the continuity of this thread. Please note the dates on the posts. This is impossible. He is using his mod powers to fuck with me constantly. Please explain how I should just concentrate on the ideas.

see ? that's what's wrong with you

something happens that you don't understand, and instead of flagging this up and waiting for a reply, you pepper the whole forum with a stream of thought flood of posts
straight way you jump to the conclusion that someone has meddled with the settings in your profile (as far as i'm aware iNow has only restricted your ability to send PMs - and i can see why, otherwise our inbox would be packed full with repetitions of the same complaints, just because we were not on-line to respond straight away - not done anything else to your settings)

so please please please calm down and let's investigate this properly : what is the exact nature of the problem, when did it start + possibly a screenshot of what it looks like ? then SkinWalker, iNow and myself can try and figure out what's going on, and see what we can do about it

also, this conclusion jumping must stop - there's no indication that iNow is behind the problems you appear to have with your profile settings, and no-one likes to be accused on such flimsy evidence

in summary, none of us (apart from you, it would appear) are on this forum 24/7, and you really must give us time to respond before you decide to fire off another volley of repeat posts - otherwise we don't know where to post our replies since you fill the whole forum with the same accusations all over the place

i will try and return tonight but in the meantime, can you investigate on your end whether any of your settings (like for instance the sort order for posts in a thread) has changed and see if you can revert them to what they're supposed to be ?
also, may i ask you to think whether you've been in your profile recently and have adjusted something that could accidentally have changed something else without you realising it ?
these are the sort of things i want put to bed first before we jump to the conclusion that iNow is out to get you - he may not have been in favour of your return, but i doubt very much whether he would behave in such an unprofessional fashion as you imply he has

P.S. there definitely is a setting which allows you to sort the way you see your posts, either from old to new or from new to old - does that solve your problem ?

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: A NEW THEORY ON THE EVOLUTION OF RELIGION  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:19 pm

KALSTER wrote:
Futilitist wrote:
KALSTER wrote:

Go to hell!

Futilitist :ugeek:
On my system they are all perfectly according to time and date. Perhaps a timezone glitch or something? That is what normal people would imagine is going on, but you jump immediately to conspiracy theories.

Calm down and think rationally. You appear frantic, seriously.

It is not the end of the world if a bunch of people on a science forum not primarily for science professionals disagrees with your "theory". If you believe your "theory" is valid, then it should be able to withstand the normal peer review system. Have you tried that? Spoken to any science professionals in the appropriate field?

This all began right after iNow changed my preferences. How do I know he did that? Well, I can't say it was him for sure, but someone also changed my profile at the same time to include things that I did not write. That is how I know this is not just an innocent computer glitch. Say whatever you want.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: A NEW THEORY ON THE EVOLUTION OF RELIGION  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:21 pm

marnixR wrote:
Futilitist wrote:
MarnixR,

see ? that's what's wrong with you

something happens that you don't understand, and instead of flagging this up and waiting for a reply, you pepper the whole forum with a stream of thought flood of posts
straight way you jump to the conclusion that someone has meddled with the settings in your profile (as far as i'm aware iNow has only restricted your ability to send PMs - and i can see why, otherwise our inbox would be packed full with repetitions of the same complaints, just because we were not on-line to respond straight away - not done anything else to your settings)

so please please please calm down and let's investigate this properly : what is the exact nature of the problem, when did it start + possibly a screenshot of what it looks like ? then SkinWalker, iNow and myself can try and figure out what's going on, and see what we can do about it

also, this conclusion jumping must stop - there's no indication that iNow is behind the problems you appear to have with your profile settings, and no-one likes to be accused on such flimsy evidence

in summary, none of us (apart from you, it would appear) are on this forum 24/7, and you really must give us time to respond before you decide to fire off another volley of repeat posts - otherwise we don't know where to post our replies since you fill the whole forum with the same accusations all over the place

i will try and return tonight but in the meantime, can you investigate on your end whether any of your settings (like for instance the sort order for posts in a thread) has changed and see if you can revert them to what they're supposed to be ?
also, may i ask you to think whether you've been in your profile recently and have adjusted something that could accidentally have changed something else without you realising it ?
these are the sort of things i want put to bed first before we jump to the conclusion that iNow is out to get you - he may not have been in favour of your return, but i doubt very much whether he would behave in such an unprofessional fashion as you imply he has

P.S. there definitely is a setting which allows you to sort the way you see your posts, either from old to new or from new to old - does that solve your problem ?

Look at the screen captures.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: A NEW THEORY ON THE EVOLUTION OF RELIGION  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:24 pm

I'm done. I'll check back later to see what other shit you guys are pulling. Jerks.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: A NEW THEORY ON THE EVOLUTION OF RELIGION  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:38 pm

Futilitist wrote:
Look at the screen captures.

which were posted while i was replying to your earlier posts - i'm still none the wiser as to why it happens, but either it's the result of merging 2 threads, or the way your profile sorts posts in a thread, or something combining the two

i would like to hear from someone who understands the forum software better than i do to see how it could have happened
but if i were you i'd go and check my profile settings + make sure that there is nothing there that contributes to your problems

P.S. posted by Futilitist while i was replying

Futilitist wrote:
I'm done. I'll check back later to see what other shit you guys are pulling. Jerks.

see ? you're doing it again - you reply before i even had the chance to reply myself
how on earth do you expect to hold a decent conversation if you're not willing to wait for my reply ?

and i've already told you before (so you either haven't read my post, or you're dead set on disregarding my advice) stop making accusations before you're sure of your facts
you may be sure that people are out to get you, but that doesn't make it so - until we get to the bottom of what's happening it's way too early to level accusations against anyone

so give it a rest, and give us all the time required to see what's going on
otherwise you're making yourself upset for no reason whatsoever : obviously no-one will reply if there's no-one on-line to reply, or if you can't even give anyone a decent amount of time to build up a reasoned reply

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: A NEW THEORY ON THE EVOLUTION OF RELIGION  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:02 pm

OK, i went into your profile preferences and saw that your posts were set to be sorted by subject rather than post time
don't know how it happened, but surely that would have been an easy one for you to put right without making a fuss, and surely without accusing anyone of subterfuge ?

can you confirm that the thread displays properly now ?

and if so, can we move on ?

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: A NEW THEORY ON THE EVOLUTION OF RELIGION  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:15 pm

Not true. I fixed that problem and then this problem began. I rechecked the settings and they were the way I had just fixed them. I know how that part works.

There is no way to set the display preferences to produce what I documented in my screen shots. I know that you know that, too. I will not engage with you further on this. You are a fucking liar! Ban me.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: A NEW THEORY ON THE EVOLUTION OF RELIGION  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:26 pm

Futilitist wrote:
There is no way to set the display preferences to produce what I documented in my screen shots. I know that you know that, too. I will not engage with you further on this. You are a fucking liar! Ban me.

presumption stacked upon presumption
i don't know that "There is no way to set the display preferences to produce what I documented in my screen shots", so how can you claim knowledge of what i'm supposed to know

all i know is that when i went into your preferences i saw that the option "sort by subject" was selected, which i changed to "sort by post time" which should have solved the problem - so has it ? you didn't answer the question

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: A NEW THEORY ON THE EVOLUTION OF RELIGION  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:26 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Gone off the deep end he has. Completely batty. :?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Mod Note: Response to Futilitist's questions  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:31 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Futilitist wrote:
I can no longer send PM's. Why are you doing this to me?

A PM that you sent to another member was forwarded to the staff. Since you were abusing the PM function, I have disabled your ability to use it.

Futilitist wrote:
Are you reading my PM's?

No, only when they are forwarded to us by the recipient. Unless a member chooses to share the message with others, private messages are just that... private.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Why I don't trust marnixR  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:10 pm

Just poking around your high quality science forum when I found this conversation from Wednesday, Dec. 5th:

marnixR wrote:
there's a whole queue of people waiting to be banned
likewise, loads of people who appear to report other members simply for disagreeing with their pov

so much so that Futilitist has trouble standing out amongst the crowd

iNow wrote:
Hence my lack of participation there...

SkinWalker wrote:
marnixR wrote:
so much so that Futilitist has trouble standing out amongst the crowd

Ha!

Group think gone wild!

marnixR wrote:
maybe we should accuse Futilitist of groupthink because he's at one with the other nutters ?

Who would trust someone who talked about them like this behind their back!?

I was "welcomed" back here on Dec. 6th, the very next day! I wonder why I didn't feel so "welcome".

BTW, this last experiment has been the best of all. Thank you, everyone.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Why I don't trust marnixR  |  Posted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:12 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Uhuh. One more for the Trash.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: asperger's  |  Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:01 am

Why are you removing my posts?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: asperger's  |  Posted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:37 am

Futilitist wrote:
Why are you removing my posts?

for the same reason that you have been warned on other forums : don't bring your vendettas from other sites to this forum
so please play nice (i know you can if you want to) rather than moan about other people's behaviour

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: How do we know how accurate a "historical" record is?  |  Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:05 pm

History is a consensus view of events in the past. It starts out as a consensus of current events. All consensus views are a product of Groupthink (the very broad definition that I am so fond of).

Even science is a product of group thinking, although it is more accurate than history because of the scientific method.

All human thought is, at some level, a product of Groupthink. It is the way we are wired. There is no escaping it.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: How do we know how accurate a "historical" record is?  |  Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:32 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Futilitist wrote:
All consensus views are a product of Groupthink (the very broad definition that I am so fond of).

Even science is a product of group thinking, although it is more accurate than history because of the scientific method.

All human thought is, at some level, a product of Groupthink. It is the way we are wired. There is no escaping it.

Your post has been moved to the trash. Please avoid inserting your wrong-headed views about groupthink into nearly every single post you make on every single topic. Your commetns about groupthink do not even come close to addressing the question that was asked about accuracy of the historical record.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: How do we know how accurate a "historical" record is?  |  Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:51 pm

iNow,

I have an opinion on this topic that is as valid as any other opinions that I have seen on this site. Why did you throw my last comment in the trash?

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: A NEW THEORY ON THE EVOLUTION OF RELIGION  |  Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:23 pm

Um...OK, iNow.

I will refrain from making any comment on your last post.

IMHO, my hypothesis has merit. I would ask the readers to make up their own minds by reviewing this thread from the beginning, since my hands are tied at this point.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: A NEW THEORY ON THE EVOLUTION OF RELIGION  |  Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:29 pm

Um...

My last post went into the trash.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: Apocalypse Soon?  |  Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:40 pm

iNow wrote:
<snipped by moderator due to fair use guidelines. no need to copy the page here in its entirety. readers can click the link if they wish to read more>

I did not copy the page in it's entirety. I only copied a short section that amounts to less than 1/3 of the over-all article. I did that to illustrate an important point that is a valid part of this discussion. If I had known that you were going to snip it arbitrarily, I would have chosen a different section to highlight.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:58 am

marnixR wrote:
i suppose the problem is not enough posters and all bases covered when it come to all the hard science forums
i'm ok with biology and geology up to a point, but when it comes to chemistry, physics and mathematics i'm pedestrian at best

not sure what to do about it - plod along until we go extinct or until we get a lucky break ?
if anyone has any clever ideas, please feel free to let me know

I have a clever idea. Replace iNow as a moderator. He is driving away posters with his heavy handed and abusive tactics.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Why did you lock the "Apocalypse Soon?" thread?  |  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:29 pm

iNow,

Why did you lock the "Apocalypse Soon?" thread again? You are making it impossible to discuss anything. I guess that is the only way you can win.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: Why did you lock the "Apocalypse Soon?" thread?  |  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:39 pm

My basic hypothesis is that fear of discussing the taboo subject of apocalypse causes people to turn away from an important reality that needs to be addressed. You have thoroughly demonstrated that I am correct. Thank you for confirming my hypothesis.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Why did you lock the "Apocalypse Soon?" thread?  |  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:27 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Futilitist wrote:
My basic hypothesis is that fear of discussing the taboo subject of apocalypse causes people to turn away from an important reality that needs to be addressed. You have thoroughly demonstrated that I am correct. Thank you for confirming my hypothesis.

In your thread, after more than 20 pages of discussion (which seems to imply censorship or fear of discussion was not at all an issue here, btw), you were introducing a completely new topic. I recommended in a post that this might be an interesting topic to pursue, but that you should start a new thread to discuss it.

iNow wrote:
I saw that story when it aired last weekend, and have also read numerous articles on the same subject. Perhaps you'd be so kind as to start a new thread for this discussion since it's not directly tied to your thesis regarding how oil price volatility will lead to our ultimate demise?

In response, you essentially said no. Since you disregarded my gentle request, I made myself more clear by making the decision for you. The thread is now locked, and it has zero to do with discussion of apocalypse and whether or not it is taboo or inspiring of fear. Further comments on this action will be moved to the trash and ignored.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: Apocalypse Soon, part II  |  Posted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:10 pm

iNow wrote:
One thread is quite enough. They've now all been merged into one. Do not open another. This will be your only warning.

I thought one thread was quite enough, too. But then you closed the Apocalypse Soon thread for no real reason. Having all this stuff in one thread makes more sense to me as well. Thanks.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: The Psychology of Apocalypse  |  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:10 pm

iNow wrote:
Futilitist wrote:
I think you are one of those global warming guys that doesn't "get" peak oil. Unfortunately, you are wrong <snip> Psychologically speaking, you have a lot invested in maintaining your world view. I believe you are suffering from denial.

Comments about the motivations of other posters will not be tolerated. Please focus on the content of peoples words and posts instead of your assumptions about why they've typed them.

I was thinking that this thread, being about the psychology of apocalypse and all, would have a bit of latitude concerning speculation about the internal motivations of posters. Just out of curiosity, why do you think it shouldn't?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The Psychology of Apocalypse  |  Posted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:13 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Futilitist wrote:
I was thinking that this thread, being about the psychology of apocalypse and all, would have a bit of latitude concerning speculation about the internal motivations of posters.

You thought wrong.