FAQ
It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 3:41 pm

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: New Developments at TSF  |  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:13 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Edit (8/18/11): renamed the announcement to centralize new developments instead of having multiple, space-wasting announcements.

LaTex is now available, thanks to our generous host at ProPhpBB.com.

To insert a LaTex equation, simply bracket your equation with the BBCode as with below:
Code:
[latex]e=mc^2[/latex]

Your result should be the graphical equivalent of the equation!

We'll get a FAQ or How To put together in the next day or so. But, in the mean time, here are some examples that I've borrowed from Dr. Rocket, along with the corresponding BBCode + the equation to get you started:

Code:
[latex]\frac{d}{dx} (2x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}} = (2x-1)^{\frac {-1}{2}}[/latex]
[latex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2} (2x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}} = -(2x-1)^{\frac {-3}{2}}[/latex]
[latex]\frac{d^3}{dx^3} (2x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}} = 3(2x-1)^{\frac {-5}{2}}[/latex]
[latex]\frac{d^n}{dx^n} (2x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}} = ( (-1)^{n}\displaystyle\prod_{k=0}^{n-1} (2k-1) )(2x-1)^{\frac {-2n+1}{2}}[/latex]

Produces:
$ \displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} (2x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}} = (2x-1)^{\frac {-1}{2}}$

$ \displaystyle \frac{d^2}{dx^2} (2x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}} = -(2x-1)^{\frac {-3}{2}}$

$ \displaystyle \frac{d^3}{dx^3} (2x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}} = 3(2x-1)^{\frac {-5}{2}}$

$ \displaystyle \frac{d^n}{dx^n} (2x-1)^{\frac{1}{2}} = ( (-1)^{n}\displaystyle\prod_{k=0}^{n-1} (2k-1) )(2x-1)^{\frac {-2n+1}{2}}$

Code:
[latex]\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^N x^n = 1 +  x \displaystyle \sum_{n=o}^N x^n - x^{N+1}[/latex]

[latex](1-x)\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^N x^n = 1-x^{N+1}[/latex]

[latex]\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^N x^n = \dfrac {1-x^{N+1}}{1-x}[/latex]

Produces:
$ \displaystyle \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^N x^n = 1 + x \displaystyle \sum_{n=o}^N x^n - x^{N+1}$

$ \displaystyle (1-x)\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^N x^n = 1-x^{N+1}$

$ \displaystyle \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^N x^n = \dfrac {1-x^{N+1}}{1-x}$

Code:
[latex]\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^N x^n = \dfrac {1-x^{N+1}}{1-x} -1[/latex] [latex]= \dfrac {x-x^{N+1}}{1-x}[/latex]

So, if [latex]|x|<1[/latex]

[latex]\displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n[/latex]  [latex]=\displaystyle \lim_{N \to \infty} \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^N x^n  = \displaystyle \lim_{N \to \infty}  \dfrac {1-x^{N+1}}{1-x}[/latex] [latex]=  \dfrac {1}{1-x}[/latex]

And

[latex]\displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty x^n[/latex] [latex]= \displaystyle \lim_{N \to \infty} \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^N x^n  = \displaystyle \lim_{N \to \infty}  \dfrac {x-x^{N+1}}{1-x}[/latex] [latex]=  \dfrac {x}{1-x}[/latex]

[latex]0.99999........ = \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty 9 (\dfrac{1}{10})^n[/latex] [latex]= 9 \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty  (\dfrac{1}{10})^n[/latex] [latex]= 9 \dfrac {\frac {1}{10}}{1- \frac{1}{10}}[/latex] [latex]= 9 \dfrac {1}{9} =1[/latex]

Produces:
$ \displaystyle \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^N x^n = \dfrac {1-x^{N+1}}{1-x} -1$ $ \displaystyle = \dfrac {x-x^{N+1}}{1-x}$

So, if $ \displaystyle |x|<1$

$ \displaystyle \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n$ $ \displaystyle =\displaystyle \lim_{N \to \infty} \displaystyle \sum_{n=0}^N x^n = \displaystyle \lim_{N \to \infty} \dfrac {1-x^{N+1}}{1-x}$ $ \displaystyle = \dfrac {1}{1-x}$

And

$ \displaystyle \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty x^n$ $ \displaystyle = \displaystyle \lim_{N \to \infty} \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^N x^n = \displaystyle \lim_{N \to \infty} \dfrac {x-x^{N+1}}{1-x}$ $ \displaystyle = \dfrac {x}{1-x}$

$ \displaystyle 0.99999........ = \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty 9 (\dfrac{1}{10})^n$ $ \displaystyle = 9 \displaystyle \sum_{n=1}^\infty (\dfrac{1}{10})^n$ $ \displaystyle = 9 \dfrac {\frac {1}{10}}{1- \frac{1}{10}}$ $ \displaystyle = 9 \dfrac {1}{9} =1$

x(x-y)
Post  Post subject: Re: LaTex is Now Available!  |  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:22 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Yay! This is an excellent, and vital, addition to the science forum- mathematics and physics are pretty lame without it. Thank you for implementing this feature.

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: LaTex is Now Available!  |  Posted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:56 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'm glad to do it, but the thanks goes to the folks that host our software. They're were pretty good about getting this done. I probably could have had it installed sooner, but I've been on vacation for the last week or so. For that I apologize.

Next project is the logo!

mississippichem
Post  Post subject: Re: LaTex is Now Available!  |  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:17 pm

Yay! Everyone celebrate by posting some partials!

$ \displaystyle \frac{\partial ^{2} k}{\partial T \partial G^{\ddagger}}$

(In)Sanity
Post  Post subject: Re: LaTex is Now Available!  |  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:38 pm
TSF Original
TSF Original

It's like Deja Vu :)

Nice work.

(In)Sanity
Post  Post subject: Re: LaTex is Now Available!  |  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:40 pm
TSF Original
TSF Original

Next get Mod Rewrite working, your search engine ranking will remain really low until you do. I used proprietary code on the old site, but mod rewrite should be able to do a fair enough job.

IS

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: LaTex is Now Available!  |  Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:28 pm
Original Member
Original Member

If you think that's deja vu, check back in the next day or two and see the new style ;-)

The host has agreed to include DAJ Glass, which I'll change to the default style. There will still be 3 other styles available in the User Control Panel under "Board Preferences" and eventually 5 total to choose from.

The mod-rewrite is one of the things I've been wondering about too, but I don't want to press the host too hard at once. They've been extremely gracious in getting us LaTex and the DAJ Glass theme. I've a feeling we may need to switch to a premium plan for this, which would also remove the adverts within posts for un-registered guests and allow us to run our own adsense or amazon ads to support the hosting/domain name costs. I'm going to hold off on this commitment for now.

DrRocket
Post  Post subject: Re: LaTex is Now Available!  |  Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:47 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Here is a useful link to some common LaTex codes http://refcards.com/docs/silvermanj/tex ... letter.pdf

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: New Developments at TSF  |  Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:26 pm
Original Member
Original Member

In addition to LaTex mentioned above, we've added two new enhancements!

The most noticeable will probably be the logo at the top, courtesy of Nikelodeon. Thank you for generously putting your time and effort into this! There are two versions, one light and one dark. If you didn't know, you can go to the User Control Panel and click on Board Preferences and then choose from several styles. There are currently three and I'll be adding two more. This should help those on different platforms find a style that best suits their needs.

Thanks again to Nikelodeon for a wonderful set of logos for TSF!

The second thing added today was the ability to embed YouTube videos. Hopefully this won't become a YouTube fan site, but it's handy to have a few clickable links to videos at times without having to leave the site. You need only put the URL for the YouTube video between a special BBCode as with below:
Code:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf4IlHaPRUg&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Just sandwich the full URL for the video between the tags. Which gives you this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf4IlHaPRUg&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

(In)Sanity
Post  Post subject: Re: New Developments at TSF  |  Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:59 am
TSF Original
TSF Original

SW, Might I suggest if you have not already done so to reword the sub forum descriptions. You don't want to be a clone of the original site right down to the wording. Just a suggestion.

IS

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: New Developments at TSF  |  Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:28 am
Original Member
Original Member

We did. That was the first thing.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: New Developments at TSF  |  Posted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:57 am
Original Member
Original Member

Hello Everyone - Here is another new site development to share with the community.

As some of you may have noticed, there are times when posting images within the IMG tags that they do not fit properly within the posting window upon being rendered. Many images were being cut off on the right side since they were too large.

Thanks to Skinwalker, there is now an option to load images to posts as thumbnails, thus allowing them to fit cleanly within the post window. This means there are two options available for posting images. One is to use the IMG tags and post the full image (but it may get truncated if too large), and the second is to use the THUMB tag to post that image as a clickable thumbnail instead.

To clarify, let me provide an example.

With IMG tags, it might look like this:

But with THUMB tags, it would look like this (and you can click it to enlarge):

So, if you post an image which doesn't fit properly, just try putting the same image location URL within [thumb] tags instead of [img] tags.

Now, am I the only one who is not surprised to find potato on the border of xray and gamma radiation? :geek:

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

csiguy55
Post  Post subject: Re: New Developments at TSF  |  Posted: Wed May 16, 2012 4:07 pm

I think that this is very interesting and thanks for the update!