FAQ
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:41 am

marnixR
Post  Post subject: disney star wars  |  Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:40 pm

i would have thought that by now died-in-the-wool star wars fans like SkinWalker would have been up in arms against what they must see as the betrayal of the century

Disney buys Star Wars maker Lucasfilm from George Lucas
How fat cats killed off Mickey Mouse

what to think of it ? the main strength of the star wars was its fanbase which only came second to star trek when it comes to their devotion to the cause

surely even billions of dollars can't buy you a fanbase - in fact i doubt whether any further sequels will match the success of the first 2 trilogies
then again, few star wars sequels are likely to be as abysmal a failure as Mars needs moms or John Carter + for the time being the merchandise is not to be sniffed at

so all we have to do now is wait for the next instalment of star wars : "Star Wars - The Franchise"

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: disney star wars  |  Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:52 pm
Original Member
Original Member

They are already planning episodes 7,8, and 9... So we will see how it goes. On another note, it sounds like Lucas is going to donate all of the money toward education, which in my mind is a fairly significant win.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: disney star wars  |  Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:45 pm

oh, i don't have a bone to pick with him - after all he probably thought now was the best time to retire and find a home for his brain child
whether the star war fans will take such a charitable view is a totally different matter

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: disney star wars  |  Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:57 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Most of my friends have resoundingly bashed the transaction, and I've seen similar stuff online. However, the best way to silence criticisms is to make the first released movie epic. We'll see, indeed.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: disney star wars  |  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:30 pm
Original Member
Original Member

This goes right in hand with the concepts of "art" and "commons". As a social phenomena bordering on religion, should we as a society even allow Star Wars to be the copyright of a single organization? Perhaps there should be a statute of limitations on franchise?

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: disney star wars  |  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:38 pm

Luckily, the emotional devotion of the fanbase cannot be bought or sold or destroyed - it will always connect and hold together that particular group of people, all sharing the same piece of human experience.

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: disney star wars  |  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:21 pm
Original Member
Original Member

heh.. Star Wars fans are a fickle lot. They're rarely satisfied and the one thing they all seem to truly agree on is that Han shot first, in spite of what Lucas say's :)

After the last three episodes, my thinking is that Disney can't do any worse unless they make it all about Ewoks and Gungins (Jar Jar Binks).

I've been saying for over a decade that they should do a television series with much smaller scale focus (like centered around a cantina, where different sorts pass through: jedi, sith, storm troopers, rebels, etc....). I can't imagine why no one ever did it. With a budget like that of Deep Space Nine, Stargate SG1, or Farscape, they could have got some good effects and a great story with a ready-made fanbase. Even the grumpy fans would watch it, even if they claimed not to like it...

I'm hopeful that the Disney acquisition will be a good thing.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: disney star wars  |  Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:27 pm

i was told that there's loads of star wars books that haven't made it into film yet, so could be mined for future episodes ?

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: disney star wars  |  Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:02 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I have been teasing my SW friends with the thought of a cameo in episode 7, just picture it: Jar Jar played by Goofy.

Oh and some of my SW friends are asking when the Disney princes Leia slave costume lunch boxes will be made...

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: disney star wars  |  Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:25 pm

what ? a bit like these mash-ups ?

The Very Best of the Disney/Star Wars Mash-Up Art

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: disney star wars  |  Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:38 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Nice!

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: disney star wars  |  Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:50 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
what ? a bit like these mash-ups ?

The Very Best of the Disney/Star Wars Mash-Up Art

Ditto what paleoichneum said. :)

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: disney star wars  |  Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:38 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I wonder what the implications of the sale are for the new comedic series Star Wars detours that was supposed to air in 2013. Here's a clip:
http://www.starwars.com/watch/detours_clip_1.html

Will it go on? or will it be blocked by family friendly Disney?

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: disney star wars  |  Posted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:37 am

I like the one by Seniorgoldenspork best :lol:

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: disney star wars  |  Posted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:01 pm

and the story continues : star wars 7 becomes toy story 4 ?

It’s official: Toy Story 3 writer will pen Star Wars: Episode VII!