FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:50 pm

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:20 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I suppose this would be the place for this, although it could go in the coffee shop as well. Anyways, In the last six months I've became a big fan of Doctor Who and was just wondering if anyone else here was a fan and their thoughts on the show. We can also lump Torchwood in here since it is a spin off of DW.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:23 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I, too, am a Whovian. My wife and I love the show. We picked it up late, but have been hooked ever since.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:52 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I have only ever watched one old Dr Who movie, but never seen an episode. NOT a fan of David Tennant, but Billy Piper, sure.

I read a crap load of Dr Who books while growing up though. Does it live up to the books? My favourite Doctor was always the older ones.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:57 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Inow - have you watched the Classic Doctor Who or are just the stuff since 2005? I've only watched the seasons since 2005. Haven't got to see this new season yet though, I don't have BBC America. :(

Kalster - I've never read any of the books. Not a fan of Tennant huh? lol Well everyone has their favorite Doctor. I like Christopher Eccleston, David Tennant and Matt Smith; I think Eccleston is my favorite, although Matt Smith has actually shaped up to be pretty good.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:06 pm

KALSTER wrote:
NOT a fan of David Tennant, but Billy Piper, sure.

funny that - that was the period that i used to watch
hooked off afterwards

never watched the old 60s stuff + never felt any need to fill the gap

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:40 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Just one thing: are the Daleks any less retarded now?

I have to say, the books are a large part of my childhood. They were the first books I really read. I used to play a 90 minute tape I had recorded from the radio over and over again while reading and whenever I hear one of the songs on it now, I am instantly transported back to that feeling of wonder and excitement. I did all of my English book reports on Dr Who books until the seventh grade. :)

That is why I am a bit hesitant to watch some of the new stuff, as it almost certainly will not live up to the ideal I have in my mind.

Something similar happened when I heard they would make an iRobot movie. Having grown up with the iRobot book in our household and having read as many of Asimov's SciFi as I could find, I was hoping for something grand, but was instead presented with a fairly good SciFi movie, but a terribly mangled rendition of Asimov's universe.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:13 pm
Original Member
Original Member

KALSTER wrote:
Just one thing: are the Daleks any less retarded now?

Not sure how they were in the past, but they are not that prevalent as in the new series, anyways, they aren't like just an enemy that the Doctor kicks around easily anymore.
POSSIBLE SPOILER BELOW!!!
When the new series started Eccleston was the freshly regenerated ninth Doctor, and just out of the time war. Apparently before the series started the Time Lords went to all out war with the Daleks and other species and the whole war ended up getting time-locked outside the time stream, trapping all the Daleks and all of the Time Lords in the time-lock. This effectively makes the Doctor the last Time Lord. Dealing with the Doctor being the last of his species is a large part of the new series.

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:18 pm
Original Member
Original Member

No Master then?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:52 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Falconer360 wrote:
Inow - have you watched the Classic Doctor Who or are just the stuff since 2005?

Just the new stuff. We also quite like Warehouse 13 and enjoyed Eureka until the series finale.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:21 pm
Original Member
Original Member

KALSTER wrote:
No Master then?

Oh he makes an appearance or two. lol John Simms plays the Master, and I at least thought he was great.

iNow wrote:
Just the new stuff. We also quite like Warehouse 13 and enjoyed Eureka until the series finale.

I extremely enjoy Warehouse 13 and was a big fan of Eureka. So who's your favorite Doctor?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:26 pm

i suppose it's a lot easier now to make special effects and CGI without costing the earth and without looking cheap, which is (at least so i'm told) the old series did for lack of money

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:07 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'm a huge Dr. Who fan.

I started watching during the writers' strike here in the U.S. a few years back (2006?) and I've been hooked ever since. The first episode I watched was with Eccleston and Billie Piper when she saved her dad's life and messed up the timeline. I didn't realize it was a Doctor Who episode probably until the end. After that, I was a regular.

My favorite doctor is Tennet, without a doubt, but Matt Smith has grown on me. I don't think I'll ever be able to decide on a favorite companion. Piper is cool as shit (and a nice ass). Freema Agyeman is drop-dead gorgeous. And Karen Gillan is hot, but every once in a while she gives a look that just says "don't fuck with me" that I find even hotter. Catherine Tate is hilarious and definitely held her own. And if I swung that way, John Barrowman.... well....

Did anyone see the most recent episode? Gotta love Weeping Angels. I'm tempted to say more, but it would be a big-time spoiler. It was a don't-miss episode.

By the way, if you ever want to turn someone on to Doctor Who, "Blink" is the episode to have them watch. That's the one where the Weeping Angels are introduced during the 10th Doctor's reign.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:08 am
Original Member
Original Member

SkinWalker wrote:
Did anyone see the most recent episode? Gotta love Weeping Angels. I'm tempted to say more, but it would be a big-time spoiler. It was a don't-miss episode.

I did, and I wanted to comment, too. :)

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:08 am

Never seen it, think it's about time I take a look!

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:29 am

i saw Matt Smith do the first stint of the day in Cardiff Bay when the olympic torch was going around the UK
remind me to dig up the youtube video i made of it

Ophiolite
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:24 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Age alert.

I recall watching the very first episode of Doctor Who, broadcast on 23rd November 1963. I believe it went out at 5:15 pm, but after almost fifty years I may be out by ten minutes. Some of you will note that this is one day after the assassination of JFK. Curiously the BBC rebroadcast the first episode the following week immediately ahead of the second episode. I always thought that was ironic for a series about time travel.

I loved it simply because there was so little SF on TV at that time. The budget was low, however, and that showed. The new series, out of BBC Cardiff, are vastly superior in production values and some of the individual stories are outstanding: The Girl in the Fireplace and The Weeping Angels, as examples.

Tennent and William Hartnell would be my preferred doctors, but Matt Smith is certainly fun. Long may it continue - though how many times can you prevent the complete destruction of the universe?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:27 pm

marnixR wrote:
i saw Matt Smith do the first stint of the day in Cardiff Bay when the olympic torch was going around the UK
remind me to dig up the youtube video i made of it

here it is :

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:29 pm

Ophiolite wrote:
... though how many times can you prevent the complete destruction of the universe?

has anyone ever made a count how many times each of the doctors have been saving the universe ?

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:32 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'm so happy to see so many Whovians on here. :D My girlfriend is the one that converted me into one.

SkinWalker wrote:
I don't think I'll ever be able to decide on a favorite companion. Piper is cool as shit (and a nice ass). Freema Agyeman is drop-dead gorgeous. And Karen Gillan is hot, but every once in a while she gives a look that just says "don't fuck with me" that I find even hotter. Catherine Tate is hilarious and definitely held her own. And if I swung that way, John Barrowman.... well....

The companions are all great. I love them all. I do wish John Barrowman had done more on Doctor Who, I find his Character Captain Jack Harkness to be hilarious. Due to that I've watched all of the episodes of Torchwood. And I missed the newest episode, but I do know what happens because I like to spoil things for myself lol .

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:24 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I see a lot of people like David Tennent. He was crap in Harry Potter, but wasn't bad as Peter Vincent in the new Fright Night. Don't know, he just overacts a bit to me and I don't like the thing he does with his eyes. He might just be the right kind of quirky to be Dr Who though. We'll see.

I think I might order myself a sonic screwdriver over Ebay or something. :)

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:36 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Heh... I got my 10th Doctor sonic screwdriver from ThinkGeek. :)

It even has a UV light and a pen with ink that you can only see under it. Of course, it makes the noise...

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:54 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Am I the only one, ahem, mature enough to have seen the original series with William Hartnell when first broadcast on the beeb?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:30 am
Original Member
Original Member

bunbury wrote:
Am I the only one, ahem, mature enough to have seen the original series with William Hartnell when first broadcast on the beeb?

No, it looks like Ophiolite has taken a similar number of trips around the sun as you have. 8-)

Ophiolite wrote:
Age alert.

I recall watching the very first episode of Doctor Who, broadcast on 23rd November 1963. I believe it went out at 5:15 pm, but after almost fifty years I may be out by ten minutes. Some of you will note that this is one day after the assassination of JFK. Curiously the BBC rebroadcast the first episode the following week immediately ahead of the second episode. I always thought that was ironic for a series about time travel.

I loved it simply because there was so little SF on TV at that time. The budget was low, however, and that showed. The new series, out of BBC Cardiff, are vastly superior in production values and some of the individual stories are outstanding: The Girl in the Fireplace and The Weeping Angels, as examples.

Tennent and William Hartnell would be my preferred doctors, but Matt Smith is certainly fun. Long may it continue - though how many times can you prevent the complete destruction of the universe?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:22 am
Original Member
Original Member

Looks like Tom Baker will be coming back next year to celebrate the shows 50th year.

http://entertainment.stv.tv/showbiz/308 ... octor-who/
Quote:
Former Time Lord Tom Baker will return to 'Doctor Who' to mark the show's 50th anniversary.

The 78-year-old actor, who played The Doctor from 1974 to 1981 on BBC One's iconic sci-fi drama, is being lined up to reprise his role in 2013.

A 'Doctor Who' insider told The Daily Express: ''It will be fitting to have Tom back to mark the 50 years. He was a big part of the show's success and is much-loved by the fans.''

Possible storylines are being kept under wraps, but he is likely to join forces with current Time Lord, Matt Smith.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:21 am

i wonder how they'll play that one - time lords aren't supposed to age are they ? they just sort of regenerate

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:50 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Budgets must have been small back in the day. There was one episode many years ago in which the backdrop incorporated some futuristic-looking shiny corrugated plates on the wall behind the actors. At the time I was working with heat exchangers and it amused me that they were plates from a plate and frame heat exchanger used as set decoration. Like these:

Ascended
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:01 am

marnixR wrote:
i wonder how they'll play that one - time lords aren't supposed to age are they ? they just sort of regenerate

Well he hasn't got that much regeneration left in him, another 2 actors and then he's supposedly had his 12 regenerations.

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:15 am
Original Member
Original Member

This is The Doctor we're talking about. He'll pull a time-trick out of a hat and start the 12 regeneration cycle all over again :)

Also, he has a daughter out there in the universe who has regenerative properties ... I keep waiting for her to pop back in.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:41 am
Original Member
Original Member

SkinWalker wrote:
This is The Doctor we're talking about. He'll pull a time-trick out of a hat and start the 12 regeneration cycle all over again :)

Also, he has a daughter out there in the universe who has regenerative properties ... I keep waiting for her to pop back in.

There is a lot of speculation online about how many regenerations he has left. Some say there will be at least two more, others believe he only has one left because of that partial one he experienced as the tenth Doctor. Then there is the theory that he has many more because of what happened with River Song. I think they will continue to find ways to keep the show going as long as people are still watching and enjoying it. And I too keep waiting for his daughter Jenny to make an appearance. :)

Also Skinwalker, it is awesome that you have a sonic screwdriver!

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:23 pm
Original Member
Original Member

So I finally watched Series 7 part one. WARNING POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD: I think Stephen Moffat did a good job handling the end of the Ponds. I was still quite sad to see Amy and Rory go. I really liked them as companions. I found the episode prior to The Angels Take Manhattan to be very entertaining and very insightful into the life of a companion.

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:44 am
Original Member
Original Member

And now the new story line with the new future companion looks like it is going to be very interesting indeed. Plus, she must be the hottest one yet!

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:59 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Yeah, I quite liked her when she was a Dalek. Not bad in the snowmen episode this christmas, either.

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:30 pm
Original Member
Original Member

For me there is only Leela...

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Doctor Who  |  Posted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:43 pm
Original Member
Original Member

KALSTER wrote:
And now the new story line with the new future companion looks like it is going to be very interesting indeed. Plus, she must be the hottest one yet!

She was very interesting in Asylum of the Daleks, I'm wondering how they will bring her into the role of companion. I agree she is definitely really hot, although I did find Amy quite attractive.