FAQ
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 8:40 am

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Unmanned Aerial Vehicles  |  Posted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:13 pm

From what I can glean, UAV's, or drones, may be used in the future to spy on US citizens and this is causing a bit of a stir on your side of the pond.

Quote:
LOS ANGELES (KNX 1070 NEWSRADIO) — As the Federal Aviation Administration helps usher in an age of drones for U.S. law enforcement agencies, the use of unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV’s) domestically by the U.S. military — and the sharing of collected data with police agencies — is raising its own concerns about possible violations of privacy and Constitutional law, according to drone critics.

A non-classified U.S. Air Force intelligence report obtained by KNX 1070 NEWSRADIO dated April 23, 2012, is helping fuel concern that video and other data inadvertently captured by Air Force drones already flying through some U.S. airspace, might end up in the hands of federal or local law enforcement, doing an end-run around normal procedures requiring police to obtain court issued warrants.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/06/04/the-age-of-drones-military-may-be-using-drones-in-us-to-help-police/

However, the sheer adaptability of use of a UAV gives them quite a fearsome defensive, or attack capability in a military campaign.

Quote:
UAV no longer only perform intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) missions, although this still remains their predominant type. Their roles have expanded to areas including electronic attack (EA), strike missions, suppression and/or destruction of enemy air defense (SEAD/DEAD), network node or communications relay, combat search and rescue (CSAR), and derivations of these themes.

http://www.theuav.com/

And yet they look so cute...

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Unmanned Aerial Vehicles  |  Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:45 am
Original Member
Original Member

Some of the fears are justified, while others are just more crazy talk from people looking for any government conspiracy they can get their hands on. The drones are super adaptable and versatile, though. In fact, they were using them to monitor farm land and cattle just recently (which generated a lot of the aforementioned stir).

They're a handy tool. Of course people will find new uses for them. Good tools get used once people realize how helpful they can be. We as a people just have to balance that usage with a focus on our freedoms and privacy.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: Unmanned Aerial Vehicles  |  Posted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:54 pm
Original Member
Original Member

And there are currently dozens of such devices available now.

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Re: Unmanned Aerial Vehicles  |  Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:01 pm

GE, is that your video? If it is, then nicely done. My main point was to mention that drones have the potential to be used as surveillance or military attack weapons very successfully, and have a further capability of being almost undetectable and target specific. The word to use is 'frightening.'

Quote:
..Drone attacks kill 16 in Pakistan: officials
Reuters – Fri, Aug 24, 2012....
Missile-firing U.S. drone aircraft killed at least 16 people on Friday in an attack in northwest Pakistan, two Pakistani intelligence officials.

The attacks targeted three walled compounds in the Shawal Valley, which is in the South Waziristan region on the border with Afghanistan, the officials said. The area has long been known as a sanctuary for militants.

The drone attacks are highly controversial in Pakistan, where there is anger over civilian casualties and what is perceived as a violation of Pakistani sovereignty.

But U.S. officials say that Pakistan does not control the militant-held territory where the drones strike. The United States considers drones a key weapon in the war against al Qaida and Taliban insurgents.

http://news.yahoo.com/drone-attacks-kill-10-pakistan-officials-081018051.html

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: Unmanned Aerial Vehicles  |  Posted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:06 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Nope, not mine. I understand the frightening implications of drone use by military organizations. The implications of drone use by civilians is potentially just as frightening. Think of one of those "toys" equipped with an envenomed dart.