FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:15 pm

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Why are British Bees Dying?  |  Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:27 pm

The British bee population is decreasing. Of course, there are the usual biological factors to consider - lack of food, space, competition or the appearance of new predators, or a combination of the above.

Bee experts have also speculated at the decline in bee numbers:

Quote:
1.Disease from mite and virus infections. The varroa mite reached the UK in 1992 and now infests 95% of hives. Untreated bee colonies die in 3 to 4 years and even low populations of mites affects the bees' health. Other notifiable diseases include American Foul Brood and European Foul Brood have all been found in some areas of the UK .

2.Changing weather patterns. Recent wet and cold summers have prevented bees from foraging for food and have affected the time of year that forage plants appear.

3.Loss of Habitat. Flower-rich grasslands in England have declined by 97% over 60 years, with similar losses elsewhere. This has hit the UK 's bumblebees particularly hard. A range of options are available to farmers to create useful habitat but if we can all work together to create a flower-rich countryside, this would help our UK honey bees, bumblebees and other pollinating insects survive.

4.Insecticides. Insecticides used to kill agricultural pests may harm bees if these are applied incorrectly or without care.

We all need to do our part to help save our bees, whether that's by planting bee friendly plants or by supporting the work of the scientists, UK beekeepers and organisations such as the Bumblebee Conservation Trust, who are working hard to try and help the UK's dying bees

http://www.danthegardener.co.uk/why-are-bees-dying.htm

Although Dan the Gardener is not giving references to peer reviewed journals, he is giving his experienced opinion on possible causes for the decline of numbers of bees.

I am speculating that there is another cause that has not been considered - microwaves from our communications matrix called TETRA.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUc2DG9Cl64&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

IMHO, there is sufficient evidence from Dr Trower and other researchers to suggest that humans are affected by the communication networks which propagate microwave radiation. I am speculating that it is possible that bee reproduction or physiological functions are affected by microwaves and predict that numbers of bees will decline as our communication networks expand and mast numbers increase.

http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/scalar_tech/esp_scalartech22.htm

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: Why are British Bees Dying?  |  Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:30 pm
Original Member
Original Member

It's not just the UK. Honey bee populations have been declining in the US for some time, and now apparently it's a global phenomena. Over here it was sometimes called Hive Collapse Syndrome.
http://e360.yale.edu/digest/decline_of_honeybee_populations_now_a_global_phenomenon_report_says/2843/

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Why are British Bees Dying?  |  Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:46 am

mind you it's not such honey bees : bumble bees, who are if anything even more important for pollination in the UK, are also showing a substantial decline

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Re: Why are British Bees Dying?  |  Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:51 pm

GiantEvil wrote:
It's not just the UK. Honey bee populations have been declining in the US for some time, and now apparently it's a global phenomena. Over here it was sometimes called Hive Collapse Syndrome.
http://e360.yale.edu/digest/decline_of_honeybee_populations_now_a_global_phenomenon_report_says/2843/

Again, no-one is certain of the cause, so I still consider that use of microwaves for cell phones is still a probability

marnixR wrote:
mind you it's not such honey bees : bumble bees, who are if anything even more important for pollination in the UK, are also showing a substantial decline

This is quite worrying. However, I do recall listening to Lovelock (of the Gaia hypothesis) who stated that the Earth's ecosystems will eventualy recover but after a swing towards directional selection depending on the species still around. In the sake of accuracy, I have to mention that he was talking about global warming and mentioned that the Earth would eventually reach equilibrium, even if it took 6 million years... :!:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Why are British Bees Dying?  |  Posted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:02 pm
Original Member
Original Member

We've been talking about colony collapse disorder for several years now, yet we still are unsure what may be driving the effect. It's disheartening and worrisome.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: Why are British Bees Dying?  |  Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:08 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Whilst researching just what it was I was putting on my cat for flea control, I learned of a substance that might be implicated in Colony Collapse; Fipronil. It specifically targets a neural receptor found only in a small range of species outside of insects, but is deadly to most insects.

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Re: Why are British Bees Dying?  |  Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:17 pm

GiantEvil wrote:
Whilst researching just what it was I was putting on my cat for flea control, I learned of a substance that might be implicated in Colony Collapse; Fipronil. It specifically targets a neural receptor found only in a small range of species outside of insects, but is deadly to most insects.

Nice find GE. All we now have to do is to associate the use of this broader than broad spectrum insecticide and relate it to losses of bees on a graph to show correlation, if not causation.