FAQ
It is currently Sun May 28, 2017 4:34 pm

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Daily species  |  Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:03 am
Original Member
Original Member

I have been thinking for a while that it might be interesting to start this.

The general idea is for someone every 24 hours to add a post to the thread consisting of a short description of a (preferably) genus or species they think is interesting, along with maybe an image and/or a link to more information.

It will be a great way to expand my at least knowledge of the worlds life.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:12 am
Original Member
Original Member

I will start off the thread with this one:

Pimoa cthulhu

A species of spider found only in the Mendacino woodlands area of California. The species is most often found associated with Redwood groves and was described in part from a specimen that had built his web in a hollow redwood trunk! It was not described until 1994, and as you may have guessed the species epithet is an homage to H. P. Lovecrafts deity Cthulhu. :D

More information can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pimoa_cthulhu
And a larger image of the female above can be found here: http://araneoidea.lifedesks.org/image/view/1/_original

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:33 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Perhaps we can turn this into a weekly or monthly species thread? ;)

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:40 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I was thinking I would be carrying it for a while, bu I got busy with prep for the Shakespeare production this weekend and so havent had time to post again.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:00 pm

how's this then :

i saw it in a cave in Cuba near Vinales - to me it looks a bit like a centipede, but i'm not too sure

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:22 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Looks to be a house/cave centipede possibly Sphendononema guildingii or a similar species, these centipedes are normally cave dwellers but also inhabit cellars and similar areas.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:40 pm

found this (reasonably large) spider at the south coast of Faial (Azores)

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:03 am
Original Member
Original Member

Shes an Argiope species orb web spider. Nice!

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:38 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Is that first spider related to the black widow spiders? They kind of have a similar shape.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:48 pm
Original Member
Original Member

It seems to be two views of the same female. She is actually in the same family as the smaller orbweb spiders. Black widows are cobweb spiders in the family Theridiidae while the orbweb spiders are family Araneidae

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:53 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Sorry, I meant the one in the OP.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:02 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Ahhh, sorry. She is from a related family the Pimoidae and does construct similar webs

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:14 pm
Original Member
Original Member

paleoichneum wrote:
Ahhh, sorry. She is from a related family the Pimoidae and does construct similar webs
Oh cool, I thought so. :)

The centipede; does it have the long legs in order to traverse rougher terrain, to act as feelers or both?
Does spiders' genetic relation tie up with the kinds of webs they spin or roam, or do related spiders sometimes employ different web design or roam?

Also, my obligatory specimen, the order Solifugae:

I hate these things! Known as Red Romans down here. Despite urban myths, they do not produce silk or venom and are not insects or spiders, but they might steel your hair while you are sleeping!

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:57 pm

Ha ha, I have a mental image of a person waking up bald next to a Red Roman with its mouth stuffed full of hair.

Today's species: Goblin shark.

'The goblin shark is a deep-sea shark and the sole living species in its family. The most distinctive characteristic of the goblin shark is the unorthodox shape of its head. Up to 25% of the goblin shark’s body weight can be its liver. It is currently not understood why the shark has such a large liver. Very little is known about the species’ life history and reproductive habits, as encounters with them have been relatively rare.'

Last edited by marnixR on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Fixed Image URL

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:39 pm

ehm ... am i the only who can't see tridimity's picture ?

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:06 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Sadly it looks like her pic didn't actually post right, so all that is there is the "image"tag

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:41 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
ehm ... am i the only who can't see tridimity's picture ?

paleoichneum wrote:
Sadly it looks like her pic didn't actually post right, so all that is there is the "image"tag

Fixed.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:17 pm
Original Member
Original Member

are you sure? I still only have the "image" tag showing.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:00 am
Original Member
Original Member

paleoichneum wrote:
are you sure? I still only have the "image" tag showing.

Try clearing cache and refreshing the page.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:02 am

i think i fixed it now

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:35 pm

not one of my better pictures, i should really have taken a picture from the side rather than from above
it seems to have the shape of a hawkmoth caterpillar, and i saw it on Terceira on the Azores

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:08 am
Original Member
Original Member

Agreed, its a hornworm of some type, but Im not familiar with the species there. Nice find!

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:31 pm

you'll get fed up with me one of these days - another spider, this time from near Misahualli, in the Amazon basin of Ecuador

makes me realise my previous camera was far superior in image quality than my current one - until i dropped it, that is

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:18 am
Original Member
Original Member

A gorgeous Nephilia species golden silk orb-weaver spider, family Nephilidae. You can see the slight yellow ting in the web that gives the genus their common name. You can also see the brush like gaiters on the forelegs. check out the related species http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nephila_jurassica one of the largest spiders in the fossil record, and oldest member of the Nephila genus.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:46 pm

believe it or not, the picture below is that of a caterpillar (found in more or less the same general area as the spider)

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:03 pm
Original Member
Original Member

From what I am seeing, looks like it is actually a beetle in the Coccinellidae family somewhere, and it seems to be in the process of molting. You can see the suture near the base of the tail section and the brighter, lighter tone to the emerging ?nymph/adult?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:02 am

you make me doubt myself now, but my recollection is that, whatever it may look like from the top, from the side it clearly was a caterpillar - hence the structure near the head could be some form of mimicry ?

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:24 am
Original Member
Original Member

Did it have a general morphology that looked like this from the side?

I'm positive it's moulting, the lighter coloration of the central area, along with the visible suture at the base of the tail is very distinct.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:46 pm

you could be right, the back end looks a bit like your picture (although the forked tail doesn't appear to be there) - i wish i had paid more attention, because by now some of the details have left my brain

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:20 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I know the feeling! I usually try to take at least one picture with my finger next to an insect for scale, otherwise they always seem to end up bigger then what they were in reality. Im not sure what yours is doing with such elongated/enlarged cerci but it sounds like this is probably a lady beetle larva. The "tail section is so thin looking because the emerging nymph has already pulled out of that section of the old skin and its shrunk as a result.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:41 pm

do i have it right that this is a grasshopper leaf bug ? does that mean it's bug, not a grasshopper ?
(same general area in the Amazon basin of Ecuador as the previous 2)

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:55 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Im not sure I have ever heard them called that, lol. This is a great example of how vernacular names can be confusing. As the first part of the common name suggests its a member of the Orthoptera family Tettigoniidae, are more commonly called katydids here. Bug is a term many people tack onto names and use for anything that has more then four legs, lol, but which is used in entomology only for members of the order Hemiptera.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:53 pm

see how long i can keep this up - the following is (i think) a painted locust, and it comes from the island of Santiago in the Galapagos

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:58 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Looks like you got that one right on, the small diversity for the islands does help with that lol

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:59 am

i'll have to try and find that picture where a lava lizard snatched up the very same locust for breakfast

15uliane
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:06 am
Original Member
Original Member

Lesbian Lizards- the whole species is female, technically called Desert Grassland Whiptail Lizards. They lay unfertilized eggs that do turn into lizards.

Unfortunately I can't get the picture to show up, but I'll try again later.

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:31 pm
Original Member
Original Member

There you go.

As far as I know, Komodo Dragons are also capable of parthenogenesis under certain circumstances.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:40 pm

does that make them lesbian though ?

anyhow, here's the moment the painted locust came to a sticky end

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:01 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Would that have breakfast, lunch or both?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:13 pm

ok, so it was mid morning, so let's call it brunch

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:41 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Darn big brunch if you ask me lol

Here is one of the largest Katydids from my area Anabrus longipes. Their color is variable and not tied to gender btw.

Image female
Image male

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:53 pm

what does the species longipes refer to ? surely all of them have the same long jumping leg ?

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:14 pm
Original Member
Original Member

it is refering to the long tibias of the species, which are in general longer then other species in the western US

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:49 am
Original Member
Original Member

Are they flightless?

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:54 am
Original Member
Original Member

They are flightless. you can see the edge of one of the wings peeking out from under the pronutum (the large plate right behind the head) on the male

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:13 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Is that by virtue of a level of neoteny, or have the wings merely atrophied due to redundancy, similarly to some cave-dwelling animals losing their sight? They seem similar in build to the nymph stage to me, which is why I'm asking.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I think most likely due to lack of need. They prefer open fields with gooseberry and other shrubs, along with native tussock grasses where they can quickly shimmy into the middles and escape predators.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:20 pm

ok, move away from insects and spiders - here's Sally Lightfoot crab from South Plaza in the Galapagos
i like this picture especially for the attitude displayed - "don't go messing with ME, buddy !"

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:31 pm
Original Member
Original Member

two different species or male/female?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:40 pm

as far as i'm aware this sort of crab starts off being black as a juvenile, and then becomes more colourful as they become older
using that colour scheme as a guide, i'd say the one on the right is a younger specimen being cowed by an older one