Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:58 pm

Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos).

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:17 pm

That is an embarrassing name(nomenclature?) for a wee avian :oops:

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:47 am

iNow wrote:
Thought of you when I saw this article today, Marnix.

Some amazing and beautiful shots.

Hard to pick a favorite, but think I'm partial to #14, myself >> https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/bigpic ... story.html

Fantastic (#15 for architectural beauty and#30 for comic effect)

But every photo an exploit :D

geordief
Post  Post subject: Strange beast in the water tank.  |  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:02 pm

Sadly no photo. My water tank (about1 metre by 2 metres by 70cm deep) is about 5 or 6 metres up on the roof of the house.

Yesterday I noticed a strange lad swimming in the water and fished it out with a rectangular butter/marg tub with the idea of getting a photo in the morning and posting it here.

To describe it ,it was about half the length of my index finger and resembled a shrimp(an articulated body) with 2 semi-circular "water wings" either side of the torso ,perhaps towards the head (they might have been towards the tail =I can't remember)

My plan to photograph this lad came unstuck when I went to have a look the next day.

Nothing to be seen. It must have somehow crawled out of the small (uncovered ) container.

I have had a look in the water tank to see if there are any others swimming around but can't see any.

Is this some kind of an amphibious creature? It didn't look one bit capable of flight so it must surely have been washed in with the water supply.

Some kind of shrimp?

I will keep looking and post any photo I am able to..... :)

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:40 pm
Original Member
Original Member

More likely a water mangos or similar predatory water insect from the description you give

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:34 pm

paleoichneum wrote:
More likely a water mangos or similar predatory water insect from the description you give

Can't see anything on this page of image returns based on your idea and terms that comes close. (is the water mango one of those?)

It was a long fella (5 or 6 times longer than it was wide and slightly translucent)

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:37 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Did it look a little like this?

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:53 pm

paleoichneum wrote:

A little.Do you know what I mean about the two pairs of semicircular "water wings" (kind of fleshy) sticking out of its thorax ,I think

Like stabilizers in the water,I guess.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:20 pm
Original Member
Original Member

geordief wrote:
paleoichneum wrote:

A little.Do you know what I mean about the two pairs of semicircular "water wings" (kind of fleshy) sticking out of its thorax ,I think

Like stabilizers in the water,I guess.

More then likely gills and not water stabilizers

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:22 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Hows this looking?

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:33 pm

paleoichneum wrote:

Hows this looking?

It is a bit more shrimplike (which is what I thought it resembled ,without the spiky "beard" they have.

Are those gills at the back ?(they look a bit like 6 or 8 pairs of oars in your photo)

My man had just 2 pairs but I suppose the rest of him might have looked like that (a bit yellowish where I could see through the dirt he was coated in from the rusty side of the water tank I presume)

I think he had those feelers

Would this chap have clambered his way up out of the vertical side of the plastic tub (about 8 inches square and 4/5 inches deep ,half filled with water ) that I was holding him in ?

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:32 pm
Original Member
Original Member

geordief wrote:
paleoichneum wrote:
Hows this looking?

It is a bit more shrimplike (which is what I thought it resembled ,without the spiky "beard" they have.

Are those gills at the back ?(they look a bit like 6 or 8 pairs of oars in your photo)

My man had just 2 pairs but I suppose the rest of him might have looked like that (a bit yellowish where I could see through the dirt he was coated in from the rusty side of the water tank I presume)

Would this chap have clambered his way up out of the vertical side of the plastic tub (about 8 inches square and 4/5 inches deep ,half filled with water ) that I was holding him in ?

most likely the gills, the overall morphology will be similar between all Ephemeroptera species, but there will be a lot of individual variations on the general build.

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Daily species  |  Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:24 am

paleoichneum wrote:
geordief wrote:
paleoichneum wrote:
Hows this looking?

most likely the gills, the overall morphology will be similar between all Ephemeroptera species, but there will be a lot of individual variations on the general build.

I had no luck researching "water mangoes" but Ephemeroptera brings up lots of information.

I will be pleased if it was a dragon fly nymph (or similar) since we have loads of them in the garden and I like them a lot.

Edit: no I don't see the two pairs of semi circular "flaps" in this video. But it was a large specimen ,whatever it was.