FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:23 am

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Bay of Pigs  |  Posted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:43 am

i've never understood this one, and maybe it highlights my ignorance of the geopolitics in the early 1960s : why, if the US had a base in Guantanamo Bay did they have to assemble a rag tag army to dissimulate involvement ?

or would a push out of Guantanamo Bay have triggered a direct confrontation with the Soviet Union, whereas making it appear as if it was dissidents who made the invasion would not ?

DrRocket
Post  Post subject: Re: Bay of Pigs  |  Posted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:44 am
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
i've never understood this one, and maybe it highlights my ignorance of the geopolitics in the early 1960s : why, if the US had a base in Guantanamo Bay did they have to assemble a rag tag army to dissimulate involvement ?

or would a push out of Guantanamo Bay have triggered a direct confrontation with the Soviet Union, whereas making it appear as if it was dissidents who made the invasion would not ?

As best I understand it the intent was to overthrow the Castro government but be able to claim that the counter-revolution was an undertaking by only Cubam ex-patriots.

Why any idiot would believe that is beyond me, and it is quite clear that Soviet intelligence was quite aware of what was really going on. I suspect that no confrontation ensued because the operation was screwed up beyond all recognition and the KGB was laughing too hard to breath properly.

iceaura
Post  Post subject: Re: Bay of Pigs  |  Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:36 am
Original Member
Original Member

The intent need not have been to deceive Soviet intelligence, but provide deniability and political fodder for domestic consumption.

Dozens of operations were carried out in this fashion, in the Caribbean and southern Americas. The Soviets were under no illusions about what the US was up to in Honduras, Peru, Chile, Argentina, Panama, Haiti, etc etc etc. Or then Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Philippines, Egypt, Turkey, Germany E&W, etc etc etc.

The only odd thing is that the US managers seemed to genuinely believe the oppressed and miserable Cubans would revolt against the evil Castro at the earliest opportunity. They built that into their battle plans.