FAQ
It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:55 pm

marnixR
Post  Post subject: moving walkways  |  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:21 pm

one topic that appears to have fascinated early science fiction writers is that of moving walkways, as stories by HG Wells, Robert Heinlein and Isaac Asimov testify

true that these days we do have some sort of moving walkways to alleviate the effect of long walking distances in airports, or in underground corridors for tube stations, but as far as i'm aware none of them have adjacent strips of different speeds - the reason for this probably being that it might be a major source of accidents and injuries

so is it likely that moving walkways, either of the SF or of the current variety, become a major feature of our megacities ? for the time being i don't see any sign of such a development, so my idea is that apart from a few restricted applications, moving walkways will remain fiction - not because it can't be done, but because it's either impractical or because most people either like to walk as a leisure activity, or prefer other means of transport as being more suitable in a city environment

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: moving walkways  |  Posted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:12 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Well, if were talking about Sci-Fi transport, I want a genetically engineered giant riding python. Something like a Titanoboa. A robotic version would be acceptable as well.

While there is no great challenge to walking along a level surface, hence moving sidewalks will probably never become a widely used regular feature, a currently common use for inclined transport is the escalator.

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: moving walkways  |  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:04 am

Too impractical. City design is too dynamic, in that leave a city for a decade and return and it will almost certainly have been given a face lift, some buildings uprooted, others planted, road directioms changed. The static nature of moving walkways would be unable to keep pace, I think. Altjougj I do appreciate those at my local train station and they always remind me of the termination of transcription.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: moving walkways  |  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:53 am

tridimity wrote:
... and they always remind me of the termination of transcription.

sorry, you lost me here :?:

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: moving walkways  |  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:16 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
tridimity wrote:
... and they always remind me of the termination of transcription.

sorry, you lost me here :?:

Don't feel too bad marnix, took me a moment as well.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: moving walkways  |  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:19 pm

oh, i see - so how's that look like a moving walkway ?
to me it looks a faulty zip

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: moving walkways  |  Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:18 pm

I once had a lecturer, Dr. David Boam, probably the best lecturer I ever had, who likened the way in which Rho factor appears to futilely 'chase' RNA polymerase during prokaryotic transcriptional termination - to walking in the opposite direction to the movement of an escalator. He joked that one day he would find a bunch of us students walking up a downward-moving escalator and that our alibi would be that we were 'performing a scientific experiment'.

Quote:
Rho binds to RNA and then uses its ATPase activity to provide the energy to translocate along the RNA until it reaches the RNA-DNA helical region, where it unwinds the hybrid duplex structure. RNA polymerase pauses at the termination sequence, which is because there is a specific site around 100nt away from the Rho binding site called the Rho-sensitive pause site. So, even though the RNA polymerase is about 40nt per second faster than Rho, it does not pose a problem for the Rho termination mechanism as the RNA polymerase allows Rho factor to catch up.
- Wikipedia

I still plan on doing it one day, just then I can tell people, 'Dr. Boam told me to do it.' ;)

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: moving walkways  |  Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:55 am

tridimity wrote:
He joked that one day he would find a bunch of us students walking up a downward-moving escalator and that our alibi would be that we were 'performing a scientific experiment'.

i can see an april fool experiment coming up ! :mrgreen:

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: moving walkways  |  Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:13 am

We should all meet up one day, specificalky for this purpose. What do you say Marnix to dressing up as RNA Pol? I'll be coming as Rho 8-)

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: moving walkways  |  Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:30 pm

hmmm - those costumes may be hard to buy off the shelf ...

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: moving walkways  |  Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:14 pm

And would need many subunits, could be tricky...