FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:49 pm

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: The Ultimate Crowd Control System?  |  Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:39 pm

This type of non-lethal technology has immense capabilities. For example a screeching moise can be made that could incapacitate any person who gets in the way of the broad beam. However, this noise uses microwave audial hearing which means that the brain recreates sound from the effects of microwaves thermally expanding the inner ear. Furthermore, warnings can be given to individuals unheard by others in the vicinity using microwaves.

Quote:
A US company claims it is ready to build a microwave ray gun able to beam sounds directly into people's heads.

The device - dubbed MEDUSA (Mob Excess Deterrent Using Silent Audio) - exploits the microwave audio effect, in which short microwave pulses rapidly heat tissue, causing a shockwave inside the skull that can be detected by the ears. A series of pulses can be transmitted to produce recognisable sounds.

The device is aimed for military or crowd-control applications, but may have other uses.

Lev Sadovnik of the Sierra Nevada Corporation in the US is working on the system, having started work on a US navy research contract. The navy's report states that the effect was shown to be effective.

Scarecrow beam?

MEDUSA involves a microwave auditory effect "loud" enough to cause discomfort or even incapacitation. Sadovnik says that normal audio safety limits do not apply since the sound does not enter through the eardrums.

"The repel effect is a combination of loudness and the irritation factor," he says. "You can't block it out."

Sadovnik says the device will work thanks to a new reconfigurable antenna developed by colleague Vladimir Manasson. It steers the beam electronically, making it possible to flip from a broad to a narrow beam, or aim at multiple targets simultaneously.

Sadovnik says the technology could have non-military applications. Birds seem to be highly sensitive to microwave audio, he says, so it might be used to scare away unwanted flocks.

Sadovnik has also experimented with transmitting microwave audio to people with outer ear problems that impair their normal hearing.

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14250-microwave-ray-gun-controls-crowds-with-noise.html

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Crowd Control System?  |  Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:22 pm
Original Member
Original Member

So, is this basically like an audio taser? Instead of delivering incapacitating pain through electric shock it's delivering incapacitating pain through focused sound?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Crowd Control System?  |  Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:28 pm

iNow wrote:
So, is this basically like an audio taser? Instead of delivering incapacitating pain through electric shock it's delivering incapacitating pain through focused sound?

Precisely. I would hate to 'hear' the incapacitating screech. However, it also has the facility of projecting speech into a head without anyone else hearing, or to a crowd of people in the broad beam. However, if the power is misused, it has the possibility of being frightening misuse of technology. On the plus side, imagine a hostage situation where communications can be established with the victims without the bad guys hearing it...

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Crowd Control System?  |  Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:36 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Quote:
in which short microwave pulses rapidly heat tissue, causing a shockwave inside the skull

Hmm... Sounds scary! I don't like it.
As I understand microwaves they can be shielded against by almost any thin metal. The metal can even be screen or have holes in it, as long as no hole is bigger than about a mm in diameter. Think hoody with metal mosquito screen.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Crowd Control System?  |  Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:51 pm
Original Member
Original Member

jimmydasaint wrote:
it also has the facility of projecting speech into a head without anyone else hearing

Maybe ole' Lawrence wasn't crazy when he said he was hearing voices. :mrgreen:

jimmydasaint wrote:
On the plus side, imagine a hostage situation where communications can be established with the victims without the bad guys hearing it...

Holy monkey butt, that would be awesome!

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Crowd Control System?  |  Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:38 am
Original Member
Original Member

iNow wrote:
jimmydasaint wrote:
it also has the facility of projecting speech into a head without anyone else hearing

Maybe ole' Lawrence wasn't crazy when he said he was hearing voices. :mrgreen:

jimmydasaint wrote:
On the plus side, imagine a hostage situation where communications can be established with the victims without the bad guys hearing it...

Holy monkey butt, that would be awesome!

How would anyone know which hostage to beam voices into their head? Because you don't want the one that's gonna start flipping out about "the voice of god" or what have you, in their head.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Crowd Control System?  |  Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:57 pm
Original Member
Original Member

GiantEvil wrote:
How would anyone know which hostage to beam voices into their head? Because you don't want the one that's gonna start flipping out about "the voice of god" or what have you, in their head.

Well, maybe having some wingnut start to throw a hissy fit would be the exact distraction you want so SWAT could come it quickly.

Either way, if I were writing these protocols, I'd say they should always just go with the one that looks the most like Chuck Norris.

kojax
Post  Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Crowd Control System?  |  Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:10 pm
Original Member
Original Member

GiantEvil wrote:
Quote:
in which short microwave pulses rapidly heat tissue, causing a shockwave inside the skull

Hmm... Sounds scary! I don't like it.
As I understand microwaves they can be shielded against by almost any thin metal. The metal can even be screen or have holes in it, as long as no hole is bigger than about a mm in diameter. Think hoody with metal mosquito screen.

Lol. So people might actually protect themselves by wearing tin foil hats?!?

Hmmm... maybe this technology has been around for a while and only the nutters knew about it...

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Crowd Control System?  |  Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:27 am
Original Member
Original Member

@iNow. Sorry, I don't trust Chuck. I hear he votes Republican.
https://www.google.com/search?sugexp=chrome,mod=12&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=chuck+norris+votes+republican

When I first heard about "Voice to Skull", or sometimes called "V2K", I was sure it had to be woo.
But now?...
https://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sugexp=chrome,mod=12&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=voice+to+skull

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Crowd Control System?  |  Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:01 pm

Scary stuff indeed!However, if I read it correctly, in a hostage situation, the voices can be projected to a number of individuals simltaneously. I suppose the message you send is crucial. For example: "This is SWAT commander Lance Steele, do not panic, we are monitoring the situation and giving you information..."

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Crowd Control System?  |  Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:16 pm
Original Member
Original Member

So, if this was doable in 1974, then what is different about the recent tech?

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Crowd Control System?  |  Posted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:16 pm
Original Member
Original Member

There's a lot of woo that is going to surround this subject. Here's some wiki on microwave audio effect.
Apparently it's been known about since before the 60's.

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Re: The Ultimate Crowd Control System?  |  Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:42 am

iNow wrote:
So, if this was doable in 1974, then what is different about the recent tech?

The MEDUSA system is more current because it can broadcast to single or multiple targets. The microwave audial hearing effect was knon shortly after the Second Waorld War when radar operators claimed that they could hear pilots communicating with each other in the air although the radar operators were on the ground.

Some of the possibilities have been mentioned already:

a) he deaf could hear again;
b) silent communication is possible with hostages in a criminal scene;

and, more maliciously-

c) your enemies can be destroyed if they hear 'voices in their head'. A prolonged period of this could mimic paranoid schizophrenia and so you can have your enemies safely ensconced in the local nut house.

Quote:
Putin targets foes with 'zombie' gun which attack victims' central nervous system
Could be used against Russia's enemies and perhaps its own dissidents

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1y91FKSId
Mind-bending ‘psychotronic’ guns that can effectively turn people into zombies have been given the go-ahead by Russian president Vladimir Putin.
The futuristic weapons – which will attack the central nervous system of their victims – are being developed by the country’s scientists.
They could be used against Russia’s enemies and, perhaps, its own dissidents by the end of the decade.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1y91JC77V

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2123415/Putin-targets-foes-zombie-gun-attack-victims-central-nervous-system.html