FAQ
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:44 am

amyxl
Post  Post subject: Base SI units  |  Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:29 pm

I am asked in a question to use the equation to determin the base SI units of 2 unknown letters.

I understand partly but my confusion is how do i break down w m^-2? I guess this is not base SI units and it is dervived?

Paper Wings
Post  Post subject: Re: Base SI units  |  Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:02 am

Watt (w) can be expressed in terms of simpler SI units.

x(x-y)
Post  Post subject: Re: Base SI units  |  Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:07 am
Original Member
Original Member

$ \displaystyle W = J\:s^{-1}$

$ \displaystyle J = kg\hspace{1mm}m^2 s^{-2}$

Edited to comply with guidelines for Homework help.

DrRocket
Post  Post subject: Re: Base SI units  |  Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:10 am
Original Member
Original Member

x(x-y) wrote:
$ \displaystyle W = J\:s^{-1}$

$ \displaystyle J = kg\hspace{1mm}m^2 s^{-2}$

Please read the guidelines for the homework help section. Provide hints and leading questions, but not complete solutions.

Response edited to comply.

DrRocket
Post  Post subject: Re: Base SI units  |  Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:13 am
Original Member
Original Member

The small period above is what DrRocket left us.

He made some comments that were considered rude and unnecessary to a valuable and contributing member, we made attempts to discuss it reasonably in the staff subforum, and I asked that he consider his actions. My hope was that he would at least recognize the necessity for being
civil and reasoned -a human condition for which rude, condescending, and selfish motivations are less important than being considerate, kind, and forgiving.

I genuinely regretted the ultimate decision to relieve him of moderator duties, made him aware of the decision personally, and apologized to him for the turn events had taken. I implored DrRocket to remain on with TSF as the respected authority in math and physics that he truly is. I even left him with the TSF Original tag that he earned.

My respect and kindness was returned with the period, the small dot of contempt and ugliness that represents his apparent tolerance for those who don't agree with him. I started out in this process with genuine regret and and a reluctance to let a member of our TSF family down, wondering if relieving him of moderator status was truly the right decision. I end it pissed off, disappointed, and assured that it was, indeed, the correct measure.

And I leave this, DrRocket's last post here on TSF, with my own commentary in the absence of his own, which he cowardly deleted across the forum, rather than stand by his own words. I leave this as a testament to his ugly contempt for those whom he clearly never respected enough to ever admit he was anything other than self-righteously more erudite.

And I leave it as a warning to any who might think to give DrRocket an opportunity to moderate.

-SkinWalker

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: Base SI units  |  Posted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:58 pm
Original Member
Original Member

It sounds as if you made the right difficult decision and Dr. Rocket has made his. So be it. Let's move on; and thank you SkinWalker for this forum.