FAQ
It is currently Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:50 am

marnixR
Post  Post subject: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:19 am

i've noticed that the activity on this forum is starting to become restricted to a small number of contributors
obviously not a good position for any forum to be, since in the end the life blood gradually starts seeping away as even the lurkers move one for lack of new content

for those who still care to have this forum around + thriving, please make an effort to create some new topics
i don't want to be the admin for 2 defunct forums

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:02 pm

I second this. Getting tired of seeing my own avatar, not because i am posting more than i wish to post, but because the posts are not intermingled with those of others.

Time to promote the site to friends, i think...

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:09 am
Original Member
Original Member

Would it be over-kill to reach out to dormant members with a PM asking, "Where've ya been? We haven't seen you around lately and miss you."

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:57 am

i suppose it can't hurt - are you doing the honours or shall i ?

x(x-y)
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:58 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I've noticed a severe reduction in activity here over the past few weeks- "regular" members are now not regular any more and there is hardly any activity in the hard sciences section. I'll try to post more often, maybe I'll do some more "topic help" threads like I did in the mathematics section.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:59 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:

Either or both is fine by me. I wanted to get some feedback before actually doing it.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

jlhredshift
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:42 pm

As you wish!

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:32 am
Original Member
Original Member

It seems that very few people have a desire to be active and help with the founding of sites like this. My guess is that most members would prefer instead to participate at an already established site that has already achieved high volume and lots of traffic.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:57 am

i'm afraid you're right :cry:

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:47 am
Original Member
Original Member

I just bought a guitar last week, I was hoping I could just bust some Satriani on it right away. I guess I'm going to need more practice though, go figure. Anyhow, I think it's cozy around here.

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:18 am

iNow wrote:
It seems that very few people have a desire to be active and help with the founding of sites like this. My guess is that most members would prefer instead to participate at an already established site that has already achieved high volume and lots of traffic.

I am happy to help, just not sure how best to increase participation

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:51 pm

tridimity wrote:
I am happy to help, just not sure how best to increase participation

if i knew for sure what the best line of action was i'd let you know, but i'm unsure myself, having in vain battled a similar situation at Philosophorum - activity there went up and down but in general in a downward direction, but now, after 5½ years it looks like the end of the road

the first essential thing is post count and new threads for discussion, and then it's hoping that lurkers are sufficiently interested to start posting - the latter, unfortunately, is only a hoped for result + no certainty

in the end, most people are contributing members of a forum in part for the sense of community, and you don't get that feel if there's not many active members

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:53 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:

All of my posting these next few days will be from my smartphone, which makes sending PMs a bit of a pain in the ass. Feel free to move forward with this on your own. I just recommend keeping it very short and sweet. Where have you been... Hope to see you back.

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:36 pm
Original Member
Original Member

So, I just had this crazy idea. And if it offends anyone, I completely understand. But just in case anyone feel's crazy enough to try crazy, here it is. What if a crosslink deal were made with another Science site? We got a button to theirs, and they got a button to us. Maybe allow for a quick member signup by importing data from the other site, if a person is already a member of one they can instantly become a member of the other. There should of course be an absolute firewall between individual site policy. Well, that's my crazy idea.

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:19 pm

GiantEvil wrote:
So, I just had this crazy idea. And if it offends anyone, I completely understand. But just in case anyone feel's crazy enough to try crazy, here it is. What if a crosslink deal were made with another Science site? We got a button to theirs, and they got a button to us. Maybe allow for a quick member signup by importing data from the other site, if a person is already a member of one they can instantly become a member of the other. There should of course be an absolute firewall between individual site policy. Well, that's my crazy idea.

Quick, somebody send for the pitchforks! :D Just kidding. Seems like a good idea to me, so long as it is absolutely explicit for members that in signing up to one forum they are not obliged to sign up to the other (i.e. that members can exercise their will rather than dual sign-ups being compulsory). Also, so long as there is absolute transparency re. the different sites' policies on user data security etc.

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:32 pm

It is also worth asking, how did we each as individuals stumble across the original Science forum in the first place?

Personally, i Googled 'Science forum' way back in 2008 and it threw out the .com site as a top hit.. we could therefore do with increasing our searc engine hit rating. The chances are, once people have found this place and signed up, they will want to stick around.. it's just a matter of directing traffic here.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:47 pm

i seem to remember this was brought up quite early on - not too sure SkinWalker was all that keen
+ also remember that we're probably still seen as the renegade forum, and whilst the new admin is nowhere near as heavy-handed as the previous owners, the ban on the name thescienceforum.org still stands and is automatically converted to thescienceforum.com

SkinWalker what do you say ? if anyone's going to approach the other site it should be you as the owner of this site

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:57 am
Original Member
Original Member

Unfortunately my internet access is more restricted than usual and will stay that way for now.

Quote:
Personally, i Googled 'Science forum'
Also how I found it at the end of 2007. It was the general atmosphere though, contributed to in no small part by people like marnixR and Ophiolite, that has kept me loyal to it. This site already has an impressive roster of high quality posters, so I am sure that with the right exposure it could grow appreciably. Has anyone considered things like Google adwords or adsense?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:03 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Skinwalker did that early on, and it definitely brought traffic. The real challenge is that costs money and much more money to sustain, but it definitely worked for a while.

Ophiolite
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:17 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Here is the problem as I see it:

If you look at active sites much of the activity is involved in deflating creationists and debunking nutters. It is entertaining and often educational (for the debunker and deflator - rarely for the debunked).

However, this forum was set up with the admirable aim to have solid scientific discussion. That precludes a lot of the amusing stuff that gets volume up. Catch 22.

I thrive on explaining things to people who don't know: all the member here know as much or more than I do.

I thrive on attacking nutters and creationists: there aren't any here.

So, I come onto the site twice or more a day sometimes and try to find something to say and there just isn't anything.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:47 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Ophiolite wrote:
Here is the problem as I see it:

If you look at active sites much of the activity is involved in deflating creationists and debunking nutters. It is entertaining and often educational (for the debunker and deflator - rarely for the debunked).

However, this forum was set up with the admirable aim to have solid scientific discussion. That precludes a lot of the amusing stuff that gets volume up. Catch 22.

I thrive on explaining things to people who don't know: all the member here know as much or more than I do.

I thrive on attacking nutters and creationists: there aren't any here.

I have said almost exactly that before myself, and tend to agree with Ophiolite. Many of us are at our best when we are tearing to shreds the ridiculous nonsense of others or teaching the genuinely ignorant. To drive traffic here we need more nutters and younger curious minds, but not so many that this place becomes an asylum for crackpots.

jlhredshift
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:32 am

The other thing is that there are one each of us. This is not surprising, Dr. Rocket's knowledge and interests, if plotted on a Venn diagram with mine, would have only a tiny area of intersection. Others would have more or less. What gets me the most excited is a discussion, not surprisingly, involving the Pleistocene, others would yawn. But, I came across this site by accident and I will continue to lurk because one never knows when a tidbit may present itself or someone of equal interests arrives.

By the way, does anyone have a copy of ""Archaeological investigations of site 44SX202" McAvoy; 1997, I didn't think so. :shock:

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:16 am

jlhredshift wrote:
By the way, does anyone have a copy of ""Archaeological investigations of site 44SX202" McAvoy; 1997, I didn't think so. :shock:

i'd say that MUST be one for SkinWalker - he's as close to a professional archeologist you'll find here

x(x-y)
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:41 pm
Original Member
Original Member

So, essentially, we need some batshit crazy nutters here to debunk!

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:14 pm
Original Member
Original Member

jlhredshift wrote:

Don't have it, but I could probably get a copy long enough to make a copy of some of the pages and convert to PDF. It's frequently cited by early-Clovis and pre-Clovis authors in the U.S., so it's quite well-known.

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:14 pm
Original Member
Original Member

x(x-y) wrote:
So, essentially, we need some batshit crazy nutters here to debunk!

Where's "archaeologist" when we need him? :-)

jlhredshift
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:13 am

SkinWalker wrote:
jlhredshift wrote:

Don't have it, but I could probably get a copy long enough to make a copy of some of the pages and convert to PDF. It's frequently cited by early-Clovis and pre-Clovis authors in the U.S., so it's quite well-known.

Indeed it is. Thanks but I would like to acquire the actual source material in its 196 page entirety. Stanford and Bradley have issued a book on their theory and as the dates keep moving back it may make sense to look at the possibility of a Solutrean-Clovis connection. I find it intriguing and have been pursuing study of all possible routes including this one. Thanks again.

[Eyed needles in an early enough context have been found, but I have not seen "no steenkeen' boats.]

Hermit
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:07 am
Original Member
Original Member

I enjoy the discussions I am involved in on this forum. One of the reasons I enjoy it is that there are relatively few screaming fits (can you scream in text?), tantrums, ad homs, insults, swearing and so on. A nice friendly discussion between people who are knowledgeable and usually patient is my preference.

I have just recently quit a discussion on another forum over guns in the USA. (My view is that too many guns, especially hand guns, are a curse). I enjoyed it for a while, but it did not take long to turn nasty, with people throwing insults at anyone who disagreed with them.

The other thing I hate is when participants cannot be bothered reading posts properly, and end up with straw man arguments.

Give me a nice civilised discussion any day, which appears to be the norm here.

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:16 am
Original Member
Original Member

@ jlhredshift

I just ordered that via Inter Library Loan... now I'm curious :-)

Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll send it to me in PDF format... every once in a while I get things that way.

jlhredshift
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:26 pm

SkinWalker wrote:
@ jlhredshift

Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll send it to me in PDF format... every once in a while I get things that way.

wow

8-)

jlhredshift
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:30 am

Hello, is anybody home?

Hello........

Hermit
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:01 am
Original Member
Original Member

Yeah

I am here.

You know, one of the reasons why there are not a lot of controversies on this forum is that we have people who know what they are talking about. I have been impressed with jlh's knowledge of recent paleontology. Marnix, and skinwalker are obviously well versed in their topics of discussion.

If we had more idiots, we would have more cause for argument. But who needs it?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:16 am
Original Member
Original Member

Well, that's a good question. The most interesting discussion threads are the ones with the drama and controversy. People come to watch the spectacle, not generally to sit in a quiet topic with nobody around.

Years ago, you and I would spar about climate change on one of the other sites and I learned a ton. I think you did, too. You got under my skin because you asked such challenging questions, but I'm better for the exchange and am thankful for it. The thread was a hot topic, though, because it was controversial and a little "warm" ... not heated, but warm... so people who had an opinion tended to share it. Those threads would rack up posts and were fun to return to... I would get home from work and that would be one of the first things I'd check... "Is there a new post?"

It's possible to do that without the drama, sure. We just have to find interesting topics. I think we've had a small handful of those here already, and we'll likely have more. I suspect, though, that if we have drama we need a much larger member base to keep the waters calm. Discussions like that tend to result in sour grapes and harsh feelings and strained relationships. We're a pretty tight group the currently active membership here, and strained relationships would be bad... At least with more members, you can work past it with the volume of posts and any bad blood dissipates more quickly.

Anyway, you buy tickets for theater and opera and sporting events for the drama. It's a natural tendency to find much of that entertaining (within reason). At least, that's how it is for me. That's part of why I enjoy posting on politics or religion so much. I learn and educate myself from the pure science posts. I keep coming back for the entertainment and social aspects, though.

I suspect we could do anther google ad buy and benefit from that, but I'd be reluctant to ask skinwalker to do that out of pocket again. The site is not dying or anything, it's just not yet growing and refreshing itself the way many of us would like.

Hermit
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:49 am
Original Member
Original Member

iNow

I have been in many discussions that got heated. I mentioned gun control in the USA. Terrible topic, because there is far too much emotion and far too little clear thinking. I really do not want to get into discussions that result in general nastiness.

There are topics worth discussing that are controversial without the heated emotion. For example : an oft repeated topic is about intelligence off Earth. Not something I am suggesting we re-examine, but one that I have seen discussed on at least three different forums, with widely varying views, but remarkably little venom.

You mention climate change. These days, I tend to avoid that topic, since I, much too often, encounter extremist views. Either global warming deniers, or global warming exaggerators. I try to stay with a balanced view somewhere in the middle and get my fingers burned by the extremists when I explore the topic. I have, in different forums, argued against both extremes. Both extreme positions get emotional and start with the intemperate language. It is not worth the hassle.

I really think this forum is worth while as it is. It may not be as energetic as some of the more emotional ones, but that makes it more scientific.

Anyway, I am going to post a new thread under anthropology and see what skinwalker and jlh think.

jlhredshift
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:18 am

Hermit,

Thank you for your kind words. But, every time I post it is a personal test for me. I am extremely grateful for spell check. I will sometimes type a sentence and then remove it because I will become uncertain if what I said was correct or not. I am grateful for Google. Finally, I am grateful for my family in allowing me to decorate our home with bookcases and the books on them that I have been fortunate to acquire through the many years to have as original source material that I turn to often. So, in fact, I am grateful to the board(s) for being allowed to use them as a sounding board for my thoughts and ideas. I am still, even after all these decades, a student, taking tests, refining concepts, and constantly being amazed at what I do not know. I am just one the people seated in the lecture hall listening to the learned, trying to grasp all that is being offered for my consideration and entertainment [paraphrase of a Feynman quote].

A quote from the Will Smith movie "I Robot", I am just: "One of us".

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:44 pm

I like how you quote Feynman and Will Smith in the same breath, J :P

MeteorWayne
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:11 am
Original Member
Original Member

Unfortunately, I have found there are only 1 or 2 members here interested at all in the subjects I am interested in. So I check back less often. However, I will give it a try and try and raise some new discussions. We'll see what happens.

MeteorWayne
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:19 am
Original Member
Original Member

Another problem is that I can not post images from my own collection, which could provide enlightenment about, or create topics for new discussions. I suppose I could get around to get a hosting site for the images (and in fact, probably should anyway), but just haven't had the time. So interesting discussions are on hold until then...

jlhredshift
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:10 am

MeteorWayne wrote:
Unfortunately, I have found there are only 1 or 2 members here interested at all in the subjects I am interested in. So I check back less often. However, I will give it a try and try and raise some new discussions. We'll see what happens.

I understand that, as we specialize the number of potential collaborators diminishes. However, if you would not mind, could you keep track of 2012 DA14 for me and let me know when to duck, I'd appreciate it.

MeteorWayne
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:34 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Well I wouldn't get too worried :)

Impact Probability: 9.3e-05 (2020-2044)
0.009300000% chance of Earth impact
or
1 in 11,000 chance
or
99.99070000% chance the asteroid will miss the Earth

There are two Torino Scale 1 asteroids of more concern in the relatively near future:

2011 AG5, 2040-2047 CE:

Impact Probability: 2.0e-03
0.200000000% chance of Earth impact
or
1 in 500 chance
or
99.80000000% chance the asteroid will miss the Earth

2007 VK184, 2048-2057 CE:

Impact Probability: 5.7e-04
0.057000000% chance of Earth impact
or
1 in 1,750 chance
or
99.94300000% chance the asteroid will miss the Earth

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:53 pm
Original Member
Original Member

MeteorWayne wrote:
Another problem is that I can not post images from my own collection, which could provide enlightenment about, or create topics for new discussions. I suppose I could get around to get a hosting site for the images...

Please do. That would be a very welcome contribution!

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:04 pm

Some of you might have noticed that vampires are being discussed on the .com site. There are advantages to not attracting members indiscriminately!

Ophiolite
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:52 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Bloody hell!

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:22 pm
Original Member
Original Member

jlhredshift wrote:
SkinWalker wrote:
@ jlhredshift

wow

8-)

Okay.. I got the book. Wow.... it's thicker than I thought it might be :-)

I'm going to upload an image of the table of contents, and if you PM me with a preferred email address and the sections you're interested in, I'll try to make you a few scans. I don't think I have the time (perhaps patience is more accurate) to scan all 300 or so pages. But more than half is addendums and appendices!

It looks to be an interesting report and you might try an interlibrary loan from a local library.

I'll post the table of contents and another page or two here for everyone to see in the next 24 hrs.

spuriousmonkey
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 6:33 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I think the main reason this site is dead is because some of you are/were assholes, actively discouraging the participation of quality post whores that any site needs. And you didn't dare to take drastic actions to get rid of the assholes, digging your own grave.

- Arnaud Amalric

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:29 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Yes, I can be an asshole. I think that's something you and I have in common, spurious, but can you elaborate on the other bits? How were post whores actively discouraged? What should we have done differently? There were like 6 users in total here when we first started...

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:33 pm

i'm sure spurious is still bitter about this little episode

just like DrRocket, he doesn't suffer fools gladly

and i was too much of a coward to take sides

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:24 am
Original Member
Original Member

Dr.Rocket has been rather absent lately. I'm glad to see him when he does post, especially when he offers help to people with questions on maths, but given his low participation rate I would hope one could let bygones be...

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:15 pm

Is there a Facebook page with a link. In any case, you need something to attract people towards this site. What is a unique or interesting feature that would act as a 'pull' factor? I would enter this Forum if I was a kid who wanted to do scientific experiments that can be safely done at home and if I could get prompt and useful homework help.

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:03 pm
Original Member
Original Member

We do, actually, have a FaceBook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Scien ... 0489041602

And a group: http://www.facebook.com/groups/191171684282412/

I encourage all to participate in both. Post links to posts here that are interesting/fun, share with FB friends, etc.

I'll start :-)