FAQ
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:39 am

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 8:14 pm

SkinWalker wrote:
We do, actually, have a FaceBook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Scien ... 0489041602

that's strange - how come i missed that one ?

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:19 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I dunno.. :-) Probably because I'm a FaceBook novice. I really should get my wife (a FB pro) to show me how to use the thing.

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:02 am
Original Member
Original Member

I'm totally down with sharing some TSF.org on FaceBook, I just don't know how. Maybe if there was a button, or some instructions?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:55 pm
Original Member
Original Member

You can like the group page. You can post links to neat threads to your wall. You can IM people you think would like here and ask them to join. You can do all manner of things.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:24 pm

spuriousmonkey wrote:
I think the main reason this site is dead is because some of you are/were assholes, actively discouraging the participation of quality post whores that any site needs. And you didn't dare to take drastic actions to get rid of the assholes, digging your own grave.

well, maybe it's too little, too late, but the action that you proposed has now taken place in some sort of roundabout way

i can't say i'm proud of what happened, but in the end it proved to be of necessity for the forum - no member, moderator or not, should be allowed to hold the forum hostage and make demands that just can't be met

does this mean we're now ready and hopeful for the return of people who left, or did we pass that milestone a long time ago ?

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:43 pm

I would ask the question: how did sfn.net become so active in generating membership and copy the idea, to be honest. Imitation is flattery.

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:58 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I recently posed this to the staff in the mod section (which is MarnixR, iNow, and me): let's brainstorm some ideas for increased traffic/membership here.

We have pretty much the summer to do this since this is traditionally when online traffic to sites like forums, discussion boards, mmorpg's, etc. decline only to resume in the fall with the (presumed) return of students to school.

An idea that I've had is to capitalize on the election year and create some political threads, particularly those where the issues involve science. Hot button topics like this are what drives participation. Other hot buttons we can capitalize on are climate change and evolution. If you look at any science forum that's been around for a while, these are the dominant discussions along with religion in general.

There's no reason to wait until fall to start these discussions, but we certainly want to be ready at that time.

Also, there are some mechanical things we can perhaps do to drive membership and traffic which we should explore. I'm open to suggestions on that, of course.

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:50 am
Original Member
Original Member

Beware that politics, religion and climate change (am I being redundant?) do not start to dominate the forum and lead to its ultimate demise, as people interested in science give up trying to argue rationally with irrational people and look for greener pastures. This forum is the greener pasture right now; let's avoid desertifying it.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:12 am
Original Member
Original Member

Well said. A tough balance to find, too. Right now, we benefit because the most active members are quite intelligent, bring different backgrounds, have expertise in different fields and areas, and are really reasonable and cordial overall. It's a bit like hanging out a friends house with a group of 8-15 folks and music playing in the background as we play chess and talk about the latest interesting thing. It's nice. I like it a lot.

I'm not saying we can't each generate new conversations and content, but it would be made a tad simpler if we had more here with similar inclinations... Some rotation of conversation partners on the proverbial couch that allows new viewpoints and ideas and freshness to be added to the mix sometimes.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:42 am

also, there's 2 further dangers with an emphasis on politics

(1) a predominance of US politics might make members of other parts of the world switch off, because to them it only looks like a dog fight in a barn yard; and
(2) there's nothing more nauseating and off-putting than seeing politically like-minded people always agreeing with each other, which to the dissenting outsider looks like a no-go area

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:25 pm

I still think the main reason for the relative lack of posters here is the simple fact that people don't know about this place. Type 'science forum' into Google and we're the last hit on page 5 - not the likely choice for a new poster who wants to ask a science question. Typically people will search out any old forum to ask a question or two, at least to begin with, I doubt that they will trawl the sites for a science home.

Hm do you think that the .com and .net sites will mind a few .org plugs? :P

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:30 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Quote:
Type 'science forum' into Google and we're the last hit on page 5

But type 'the science forum' and we are no. 3 on the first page.

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:21 pm
Original Member
Original Member

bunbury wrote:
Quote:

Hmm... How about a live mirror site called "science_forum.(whatever)"? Perhaps in the U.K. for faster service for our U.K. members?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:51 pm

tridimity wrote:
Hm do you think that the .com and .net sites will mind a few .org plugs? :P

on the .com site there's still an embargo in place on our site name - it automatically converts thescienceforum.org to thescienceforum.com, a little clever trick from the previous site owners that the current has decided to keep

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:02 pm

Quote:
on the .com site there's still an embargo in place on our site name - it automatically converts thescienceforum.org to thescienceforum.com, a little clever trick from the previous site owners that the current has decided to keep

A little .org plug I created in the .com chatbox has so far survived:

Quote:
ChatBox

[10-07, 14:12] Chrisgorlitz: psychology is a very diverse topic, many things are interconnected so it doesn't matter that much really where you start off a discussion at some point you'll get to what you want to discuss
[10-07, 14:28] tridimity: www.thescienceforum.org Where scientific minds liaise.
[10-07, 15:50] Chrisgorlitz: well I'm off home, nothing to do here so I'm leaving ealry.
[10-07, 19:38] Wise Man: I'm back at home, just got off plane, a little dizzy...

;)

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:06 pm

Quote:

So it does, I hadn't noticed that. Ace 8-)

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:12 pm

tridimity wrote:
A little .org plug I created in the .com chatbox has so far survived

seems like the chatbox follows its own rules separate from the main forum then
i'd say go for it, although i couldn't be seen to participate, since as a mod i'm supposed to support the forum, not the opposition - or should i give up the moderatorship as representing a conflict of interest ?

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:15 pm

Quote:
or should i give up the moderatorship as representing a conflict of interest ?

No

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:08 am
Original Member
Original Member

Agreed. That'd be silly. You are more than capable of being a mod at two places and also being respectful of each, IMO.

Nikelodeon
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:07 pm
Original Member
Original Member

bunbury wrote:
Quote:

no. 1 on the first page looks fun and interesting! Lets all go there! Oh....

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:49 am

bunbury wrote:
Quote:

are these searches personalised ? when i enter "science forum" i see our site at the top of page 2

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:49 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Yes. Google and other engines tailor their search results based on your browsing behavior. Two people googling the same thing get two different sets of results.

topic590.html#p6871

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:03 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I've considered subscribing to the next level of hosting (this one is free), which would essentially allow us to strip the ads presented to non-registered users. Then put a few ads of our own -not many, just a one or two strategically placed. Then that revenue could be thrown ad stuff like Google Adwords, which would raise the hit rate simply by placing our name in keyword searches.

The thing is, the membership is like $5/month. Not a huge amount, but enough to make me think it might be better to host it on my own webspace. The downside is re-inventing the wheel. I'd have to install the software, test the settings, export the database from prophpbb, import the database to the new host, etc.

I'm thinking I might just go with the premium service here, let mdvaldosta run the maintenance and put our own ads in place (perhaps along the bottom of the forums list and, for non-registered visitors, at the top of each thread). Then set up a special PayPal account just for the forum, dumping ad revenue or perhaps even donations into it.

From there, advertising with Ad Words would depend solely on Ad Sense surplus. Once there's enough to pay for 1 year of hosting, start directing it back into Ad Words.

I'm just brainstorming. But by no means would we have a situation where we have countless links to advertising. Just a few tasteful, and relevant, Ad Sense links.

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:52 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I don't know jack about forum hosting. So, whatever is clever, I got $five on it.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:14 am
Original Member
Original Member

School is starting back up right now. Would be an ideal time for us to do something with Google AdSense, if possible.

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:53 am

Where's Marnix these days? I miss him

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:35 pm
Original Member
Original Member

tridimity wrote:
Where's Marnix these days? I miss him

He's on holiday. We all miss him! He should be back soon, though.

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:57 pm

Oh, he's allowed to take holidays? ;)

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:55 pm

not only am i allowed to take holidays, it's in my marriage contract that my wife is entitled to 40 days of my holidays per annum, which is 5 more than my holiday entitlement at work

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:31 pm
Original Member
Original Member

iNow wrote:
School is starting back up right now. Would be an ideal time for us to do something with Google AdSense, if possible.

I'd really like to see something happen with this...

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:19 am
Original Member
Original Member

Well...

Adsense would be good for us if I had the funds to upgrade to the subscribed level with our host. Which I do, I suppose. Then I could turn the Adsense revenue into advertising revenue and buy Adwords.

I suspect Adwords is probably what you really meant. This can get a bit expensive and the forum would definitely need revenue to fund it. I've considered creating an adsense account or paypal account, etc. in which to dump trickles of money.. then use it to purchase Adwords, the hits needed to get the ball rolling are pretty significant.

That's not to say we can't do it. $100 of Adwords can stretch pretty far. And Google offers a free Adwords voucher to those that want to try it, but the problem is they only offer it once. I used my "once" on the site last year. If someone else wants to Google "adwords voucher" and try to do it, feel free. But I'm not sure if they will have traced the thescienceforum.org domain and not allow another or not. I know I can't get another.

So its a bit of a Catch 22. We can't afford advertising until we get more clicks. We can't get more clicks without more search hits. But if we had the search hits we wouldn't need the clicks :-)

So what are some other ways to advertise the forum without buying adspace? I've considered printing little "fortune cookie" slips with just the URL on it and leaving them in popular science books at the library or Half Price Books or even Barnes and Noble.

Maybe we could each review a couple of Science books we've read on Amazon and put the link in our review?

As a side note, if I end up subscribing with the host, I was thinking about inserting an affiliate code for Amazon with a few tasteful science book bestsellers. Or perhaps start a thread or even a subforum of book reviews that clearly states that links to Amazon would include the affiliate code. That would give a couple of ways someone could donate to the forum for advertising and server space.

One of the things that keeps our search score down is the number of links in and out. We need reasons for people to link to us, but we also need good links outbound.

Perhaps a priority for me/us should be to entice a forum contributer who understands SEO well enough to give pro-level pointers as a member/contributer interested in improving the community.

As another side note, I'm entering a phase of my research that requires a bit of synthesis in that I need to start questioning archaeological theory and methods and how they apply to Neolithic figurines and Neolithic life in general, and I'm thinking of writing some short posts that explore these in public. Perhaps these will be high-level enough to start increasing our search scores in ways beyond Mathematics and Physics, which seems to be where some of our better incoming links are pointing.

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:42 am
Original Member
Original Member

Looking at our stats, our total number of topics is 697 and we're getting about 101 visits per day.

We've had about 705 visits this week with 2,500 page views.

Many of these are members, but looking at the last 100 or so referrals, we've had some Google/Bing searches that were first page hits. Some were 3rd or 4th from the top and a couple were #1, such as "do animals take revenge?"

Our other big search hit right now is "why do nipples get hard" and variations. It seems that variations that inlcude "male nipples" or "male arousal" get the highest search hit for some reason :)

Looking at this, I think we simply need a larger breadth of topics and an increase in topics. The improvements to the forum would likely be gradual -very slow to be observed at first- but as more and varied topics manifest, the frequency of visits and the varience of search hits should increase exponetially since the forum membership itself would be increasing.

I commit to posting 5 new topics this week in the anthropology/archaeology forums. In addition, I commit to posting in 5 threads belonging to others (ideally 5 different people).

This I shall call the 5x5 committment, which I will try to renew each week for the next 5 weeks.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:03 am
Original Member
Original Member

Thanks for the detailed feedback, Skin. That helps me get some clarity around the challenges. I hadn't realized our traffic was so high given that post count seems somewhat low. I like your idea about having new topics, too.

As for AdSense / AdWords, I'm not terribly familiar with either. My thinking was that school is starting up again, and it's a great time to bring in fresh contributors... if only we can turn on the light in the tower so they can find us.

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:47 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I think the best way is to get more topics/threads, which will increase our visibility in search results. I think we're scored high enough as a site that we'll pop on the first page if we have the right topics that people are looking for. In fact, I've considered browsing Adwords to see what keywords are commonly searched. They have a ranking so advertisers can target them. That would also help in determining the proper names of topics.

Now... if I can just find the time to write those five threads :)

I got home after working all day yesterday at about 9:30 pm... hit the sack and I'm doing it all over again today. But I should be able to get some time for one or two tonight.

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:32 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I just ordered some "business cards" from VistaPrint (free -except for the P&H). they just read:

The Science Forum
Science discussion for everyone

Join us today!

http://thescienceforum.org

I plan to pass them out here and there, leave them on bulletin boards, in library books... etc.

Any other ideas for promotion?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:39 am
Original Member
Original Member

Get some strippers to post the URL on their Facebook page, or get Carrot Top to tweet it? Sorry, had to add a little snark, even though there is some merit in there somewhere.

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:34 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I used to know strippers in my youth. Hmm...

Perhaps I should get to know some again...... I could put the URL on a bunch of $1 bills and....

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:54 pm
Original Member
Original Member

From what I've read, and because of the prevalence of "Where's George?". I'm guessing that It's not illegal to stamp money, as long as the stamp doesn't interfere with the moneys function.
Here's a discussion on the matter.
I'm surprised that stamping money is not a more commonly exploited guerrilla marketing technique.

Oh yea, back in my younger years I played "stripper taxi" for awhile. Maybe I should go try that again?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:57 am
Original Member
Original Member

More than anything else, my idea was to get the URL on to a high traffic site seen by lots and lots of people. Whether that be a page with hot chicks, cool tech, or games like angry birds... Maybe the I Fucking Love Science page? That would be GREAT exposure since they have over a million subscribers.

https://www.facebook.com/IFeakingLoveScience

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:24 am

Defacing money might only annoy people, rather than encourage them to visit TSF...

Although it's a neat idea in terms of exposure and has a certain poetic charm.

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:52 pm

Are there any you tube videos that refer to some of the topics we have currently running in this Forum, and, if not, why not? It seems a superb opportunity to advertise TSF and also to advertise for a Physics Expert. Just my tuppence worth after masterfully avoiding an accident by an idiotic motorist by about an inch - I am in a strange mood at present...

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:43 am
Original Member
Original Member

Ophiolite wrote:
Here is the problem as I see it:

If you look at active sites much of the activity is involved in deflating creationists and debunking nutters. It is entertaining and often educational (for the debunker and deflator - rarely for the debunked).

However, this forum was set up with the admirable aim to have solid scientific discussion. That precludes a lot of the amusing stuff that gets volume up. Catch 22.

I thrive on explaining things to people who don't know: all the member here know as much or more than I do.

I thrive on attacking nutters and creationists: there aren't any here.

Very prescient. Recent events brought back you and others. :)

iNow wrote:
I have said almost exactly that before myself, and tend to agree with Ophiolite. Many of us are at our best when we are tearing to shreds the ridiculous nonsense of others or teaching the genuinely ignorant. To drive traffic here we need more nutters and younger curious minds, but not so many that this place becomes an asylum for crackpots.

And therein is where we find ourselves now. The asylum has been temporarily closed, and our most recent troll has worn out his welcome.

bunbury wrote:
Beware that politics, religion and climate change (am I being redundant?) do not start to dominate the forum and lead to its ultimate demise, as people interested in science give up trying to argue rationally with irrational people and look for greener pastures. This forum is the greener pasture right now; let's avoid desertifying it.

Ding!

Ophiolite
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:16 am
Original Member
Original Member

iNow wrote:
Ophiolite wrote:
I thrive on attacking nutters and creationists: there aren't any here.

Very prescient. Recent events brought back you and others. :)

A beautiful example of the distinction between correlation and causation. My return was a conscious decision to engage more with this (and another) forum more, and this preceded Futlitist's presence.

Back to the central concept: would routinely posting items about new science 'discoveries' lead to more casual hits, some of which would convert to members? It might be worth a try.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:08 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Ophiolite wrote:
A beautiful example of the distinction between correlation and causation.

My apologies for the error. Either way, your posts and activity here make the place better and are appreciated.

Ophiolite wrote:
Back to the central concept: would routinely posting items about new science 'discoveries' lead to more casual hits, some of which would convert to members?

Most certainly. Marnix has been quite good about this, as has tridimity. I can make an active effort to do more of this, myself.

x(x-y)
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:46 pm
Original Member
Original Member

This forum is, very unfortunately, on a really bad go slow at the moment - I've only just come back here recently after taking a long break from this forum (I'd kind of forgotten about it, sorry!) and am disappointed to see that the same threads that were here before are still near the top now, and I am also disappointed to see that DrRocket had to leave (I wasn't here to see that whole episode of drama, so I don't really have a clue as to what happened!).

It is fairly obvious that we need a large increase in posts in the Hard Sciences section (which is what makes a science forum really) and so we need a lot more members who are heavily involved with the fields of study of the Hard Sciences - i.e. professionals, academics, students, researchers and just generally those who work in the scientific industries. I am a student studying Physics at university and so I (think and hope that) can contribute well to both the Physics and Mathematics sections - but more people are required in these sub-forums and the others of the hard sciences in order for discussions to start flowing and, thus, for this forum to gain momentum.

Those are just my thoughts anyway and I note that I have offered no solutions here - I hope that the administrators here can bring about an increase in activity, and fairly rapidly too or I can see this forum dying out; which would be unfortunate as we have some valuable members here, in my opinion. We need this site to become as active as thescienceforum.com was under the admin on (In)sanity - and as valuable, because that forum seemed great back then (it's not as good as it was now - seeing the state of it at the moment).

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:40 pm

i suppose the problem is not enough posters and all bases covered when it come to all the hard science forums
i'm ok with biology and geology up to a point, but when it comes to chemistry, physics and mathematics i'm pedestrian at best

not sure what to do about it - plod along until we go extinct or until we get a lucky break ?
if anyone has any clever ideas, please feel free to let me know

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:15 pm

marnixR wrote:
i suppose the problem is not enough posters and all bases covered when it come to all the hard science forums
i'm ok with biology and geology up to a point, but when it comes to chemistry, physics and mathematics i'm pedestrian at best

not sure what to do about it - plod along until we go extinct or until we get a lucky break ?
if anyone has any clever ideas, please feel free to let me know

I think that the second locking of the "Apocalypse Soon?" thread is a good example of the poor moderation of this site driving away good posters. I have been effectively gagged.

---Futilitist :ugeek:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:36 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Futilitist wrote:
I think that the second locking of the "Apocalypse Soon?" thread is a good example of the poor moderation of this site driving away good posters.

Good posters must first be present before they can be driven away. Your comment here is a bit of a logic fail.

Futilitist wrote:
I have been effectively gagged.

And yet you remain. If it's truly so awful here and you think bad moderation has driven people way, why do you stay? I'd also be curious to know whether you think the moderation activities you reference apply to all users regardless of their behavior, or instead if you think it applies only to certain users and is a direct result of their behavior.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:58 pm

iNow wrote:
Futilitist wrote:

And yet you remain. If it's truly so awful here and you think bad moderation has driven people way, why do you stay?

Why do you want to drive me away?

iNow wrote:
I'd also be curious to know whether you think the moderation activities you reference apply to all users regardless of their behavior, or instead if you think it applies only to certain users and is a direct result of their behavior.

You seem to like picking on me in particular. You just locked my "Apocalypse Soon?" thread, for the second time, for no particular reason. Why did you lock it?

I tried to ask this in site feedback and you threw that in the trash.

I care about basic fairness. In a free and open debate, your behavior as a moderator constitutes cheating. I'm still here because I want others to see your behavior for what it is.

---Futilitist :ugeek:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:45 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Futilitist wrote:
iNow wrote:
Futilitist wrote:

And yet you remain. If it's truly so awful here and you think bad moderation has driven people away, why do you stay?

Why do you want to drive me away?

I didn't say I did. You have avoided my question, though. If it's truly so awful here and you think bad moderation has driven people away, why do you stay?

Futilitist wrote:
You just locked my "Apocalypse Soon?" thread, for the second time, for no particular reason. Why did you lock it?

I tried to ask this in site feedback and you threw that in the trash.

The reason was given in reply to the trashed posts.

Futilitist wrote:
In a free and open debate, your behavior as a moderator constitutes cheating.

I've told you repeatedly that contributions to this site are not about winning and losing. Further, my locking of the thread was unrelated to any open or outstanding arguments we were having in the thread, which were all essentially dormant until you tried to change the topic, so there's always that.

Either way, this is not the place to discuss this. Please cease from further derailing this topic.