FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:50 pm

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:23 pm

iNow wrote:
Either way, this is not the place to discuss this. Please cease from further derailing this topic.

I agree that this should be discussed in site feedback (but you moved that to the trash).

That said, however, I don't believe my comments here are derailing this thread at all. I am totally on topic and my opinion about why this site has so few active members is a valid opinion.

---Futilitist :ugeek:

seagypsy
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:56 am

IMO, I think if futilist was graciously embraced by the members and treated the way he says he wants to be threated, he would get bored and go away. I suspect that he is being treated EXACTLY as he wants to be treated. Otherwise the mods here would be proving him wrong (by his own perceptions even) and he wouldn't know what to do with himself if his reality was turned on its head.

But if it helps the forum. I have lots of crackpot ideas I could dig up. I can even defend them if it gets things hopping. but I may need to start drinking. It is really hard for me to present my own crackpot ideas as if I actually believe they have merit. This could be a test of my acting ability I guess?

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:43 am

seagypsy wrote:
IMO, I think if Futilitist was graciously embraced by the members and treated the way he says he wants to be threated, he would get bored and go away. I suspect that he is being treated EXACTLY as he wants to be treated. Otherwise the mods here would be proving him wrong (by his own perceptions even) and he wouldn't know what to do with himself if his reality was turned on its head.

Why are you suddenly so concerned about me? I thought you had me on ignore. Like I said on the other thread, we don't know each other or have any history, yet you feel you must attack me in order to fit in. Pathetic, IMO.

As far as the mod proving me wrong, I challenged iNow to a formal debate and he refused.

seagypsy wrote:
But if it helps the forum. I have lots of crackpot ideas I could dig up. I can even defend them if it gets things hopping. but I may need to start drinking. It is really hard for me to present my own crackpot ideas as if I actually believe they have merit. This could be a test of my acting ability I guess?

I don't present crackpot ideas. If that were true, the mod should easily be able to handle me without cheating. I don't see how your crackpot ideas would help this forum very much. And so far, your acting abilities seem pretty good, IMO.

I am being completely earnest. My motivations are not a mystery. I believe in the ideas I express. Please take me at my word when I say that all I want is to be treated with basic human dignity so that we can have some decent science discussions.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:57 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Just a note: Even though she has you on ignore, she can still see the posts from the rest of us where we quote you.

Futilitist wrote:
As far as the mod proving me wrong, I challenged iNow to a formal debate and he refused.
I didn't so much refuse, I instead told you that I really had zero interest in engaging in one. Again though, this is not related to the thread topic and your posts continue to do little more than derail us.

Futilitist wrote:
I don't present crackpot ideas. <snip> I am being completely earnest.
Just as an FYI, these are not mutually exclusive. Again though... Not the subject of this thread, and little more than further derailment.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:22 pm

iNow wrote:
Just a note: Even though she has you on ignore, she can still see the posts from the rest of us where we quote you.

Futilitist wrote:
I didn't so much refuse, I instead told you that I really had zero interest in engaging in one. Again though, this is not related to the thread topic and your posts continue to do little more than derail us.

Futilitist wrote:
I don't present crackpot ideas. <snip> I am being completely earnest.
Just as an FYI, these are not mutually exclusive. Again though... Not the subject of this thread, and little more than further derailment.

I am not trying to derail anything. I was just answering seagypsy's insulting off topic post. Why don't you accuse her of derailing the thread? Wait, don't answer that, as it would be a further derailment.

I'm done with this topic. Please carry on in the original spirit of this fine thread.

seagypsy
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:19 am

I found some posters!!!

seagypsy
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:36 am

And some posts too! yay!!!

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:12 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Nice! I'm more partial to post hole diggers and augers, myself, but I'm not sure that's terribly relevant.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

gottspieler
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:54 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
i've noticed that the activity on this forum is starting to become restricted to a small number of contributors
obviously not a good position for any forum to be, since in the end the life blood gradually starts seeping away as even the lurkers move one for lack of new content

for those who still care to have this forum around + thriving, please make an effort to create some new topics
i don't want to be the admin for 2 defunct forums

AMEN

By exploiting parasites.
Shall you kneel in submission
From your cradles to your graves?
ls the height of your ambition
To be good and willing slaves?

Ophiolite
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:21 pm
Original Member
Original Member

A significant portion of activity on many well attended forums is dealing with the crazies. This would include those who think they know Einstein was wrong, conspiracy theorists and Christian fundamentalists. Not only does their presence increase post count, but lurkers on the net stumble onto such discussions, get hooked and stay with the forums.

So, we could try inviting nutters to express their ideas here. Of course, we should want to easr into it and for that we wouuld need a measure of nuttiness. For this I propose the measuring unit be named the futilitist. For practical purposes it would be best to quote numbers in milli-futilitists.

Thoughts?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:22 pm

i assume you want to use Futilitist as the standard then, rating at 1 or 100 futilitists ? :roll:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:06 am
Original Member
Original Member

Does anyone remember Farsight and his fascination with all things mobius? :lol:

Ascended
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:32 pm

Ophiolite wrote:
A significant portion of activity on many well attended forums is dealing with the crazies. This would include those who think they know Einstein was wrong, conspiracy theorists and Christian fundamentalists. Not only does their presence increase post count, but lurkers on the net stumble onto such discussions, get hooked and stay with the forums.

So, we could try inviting nutters to express their ideas here. Of course, we should want to easr into it and for that we wouuld need a measure of nuttiness. For this I propose the measuring unit be named the futilitist. For practical purposes it would be best to quote numbers in milli-futilitists.

Thoughts?

Just to pick up on what Ophiolite has said, what I have noticed is it easier on some forums to just respond to questions posed by new members or passing posters, people who come make a couple of posts never to be seen again, because usually their questions are easier to deal with and can answered in a number of ways. Where as there does seem slightly more pressure when trying to respond to a thread by one of the more senior members as people want to come across at that high level standard.

So maybe Ophiolite is right, even a nutter starts with less involved thread then everyone can perhaps find it easier to get involved, just a thought.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:43 am

** note to self : start creating nutter sockpuppet ? **

Ascended
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:18 pm

Lol, no but more seriously, look at it this way, you guys have been around for along time, on science forums you knew what I meant, this means you'll likely as not have picked a great deal of information add that to the knowledge and interest you already have and it means you are all able to write confidently and comprehensively to a high standard on any of your chosen subjects, now I'm certainly not suggesting this a bad thing, but perhaps it can be a little more intimidating for the less knowledgable or experienced user. One thing you guys here don't do which can be quite off putting and very often chases away people who might otherwise stay and develop into worthwile posters, is pick people up on every little detail. I think sometimes if they've such experience from other forums it can make them a little more wary and expectant that they may get pounced upon and as such a far less likely to post on subjects where they arn't completely comfortable with their standard knowledge.

What I think this really means is it's great to get people already at that high standard of poster level, but sometimes it's not quite so simple and people can need time to grow and develop and learn from their mistakes. Now I don't think people are always going to feel they have that chance if everyone around them seems to be so far above them in terms of ability, they will feel to much pressure and find it an unpleasant experience. If however there are many levels of ability and standards, then people can start off where ever they feel comfortable, they people around who are their equals so they don't feel the same levels of pressure, but as time progresses and they learn then will want and be able to engage more fully on higher levels as the quality of their posting ability improves.

So the idea of having the 'nutter' come onto make volumous amounts of posts, for me at least, is far less about the nutty element and much more about injecting some new levels at which participate.
I kind of think of the best forums like the best football clubs, it's a useful way for me to relate to things I understand more clearly. The best football teams have 3 approaches, they either go out and buy the very best already developed players, which would equate on forums to experienced knowlegable posters, or they may try and develop more players through their youth systems or buy them from lower leagues with the view that they will develop and improve over time, this would equate on forums to encouraging the less able and experienced posters to come and post, even though their standards might currently be less ultimately desirable, and the third approach favoured by the majority of the top clubs, is a combination of both, this again on forums would work the same way.

To continue this annalogy, once the top clubs have got their players they all have different levels within the clubs, youth levels, reserve team, B team, first team squad right through to the first team eleven. The idea is that there is a constant progression there is always a level which is available for their players to compete at, and the overall stratergy is always to improve those players to able to compete at higher levels.
Now this seems also to equate to some of the most popular forums there is always lots of interaction going on across many levels, you will find super high class discussions all the time equally the same with low quality.

So to get to the point with continuing round the houses to much perhaps that might be something to aim for in developing and educating people to become better posters. I know I still have many flaws but I'd like to think I've managed to improve over the last year or so thanks to being able to learn develop on various forums and for pretty much most of the time I've really enjoyed the process and gotten to know lots of interesting people along the way. So maybe it would be great to go after all the big signings, but wouldn't be even greater still to help other people, people like me I suppose when I think back, develop into top class posters and really worthwhile members of the forum?

seagypsy
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:47 pm

Ascended makes a good point. I joke around a lot but I do read the heavier threads. I don't post in them though because I am still trying to grasp the concepts and in many cases the terminology being used. It takes me a while to understand something well enough to even be able to form a coherent question. And by the time I do, the topic has proceeded on past that and I don't want to stop the flow of discussion already in progress.

Ascended
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:01 pm

Thanks Seagypsy, funnily enough when I joined SF and you were still using T'Pol Avatar, I remembering reading some of your post and thinking how involved and detailed the were, I don't think back then I would have had the confidence to engage in such heady discussions. I do think over time people can develop and improve though.

I think don't have anything to worry about at all, I'm always fascinated by just how much knowledge you have on everything!

But back to my earlier post, I forgot to really finish the point of my suggestion which is to have more open ended, less specific thread topics, this way it can encourage people who may visit the site to stay and contribute without feeling they need quite so much specific knowledge. I don't know if others are the same as me but I can go onto forums and some of threads seem to be so specific to subjects on which my knowledge wouldn't fill a postage stamp, I guess the more general topics are easier to participate in, so I'll have a go, and these are the same type of threads that lots of other people tend make posts in as they can feel they've got something to say that is a positive contribution. For example this thread I posting in now I keep relating back to my own experience, now I guess to anyone reading this it comes across as extremely egocentric, but I feel comfortable to write here without feeling that I might be negatively judged and for me at least, feeling wanted and part of something gives me that sense of comfort to want to come on here and post. So, please excuse the rambling as I'm struggling to express why I want come here and post whilst relating it the experience for someone else. Ok what I'm trying to say is that I think that if firstly there are threads on which people feel able to contribute and then feel comfortable enough to do so without fear of it being a negative experience then people will keep coming back and this in turn make the forum busyier and help get more people to come and stay here.

Ok so please excuse me if non of that made any sense and just sounded like incoherent waffling.

seagypsy
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:29 am

Ascended wrote:
Thanks Seagypsy, funnily enough when I joined SF and you were still using T'Pol Avatar, I remembering reading some of your post and thinking how involved and detailed the were, I don't think back then I would have had the confidence to engage in such heady discussions. I do think over time people can develop and improve though.

I think don't have anything to worry about at all, I'm always fascinated by just how much knowledge you have on everything!

Yeah it surprises me how often I make lucky guesses at things and manage to sound smarter than I am. In 11th grade Language Arts class we had to read Bram Stoker's Dracula (before the movie was made) and I only read the first 4 pages of it. But I was the only one that got an A on the essay test. I felt guilty though and confessed to my teacher about a week later that I hadn't actually read the book that I was just BSing my way through it. She said if I had managed to accurately glean the meaning and symbolism of the book from just the first four pages when the rest of the class read it in it's entirety and didn't grasp anything then I still showed that I was a competent reader while the others didn't even bother to try. She said seeing the words and memorizing names and details does nothing to demonstrate reading comprehension and that is what the purpose of the essay test was. So she let me keep my grade but suggested that I actually read it because she picked the book just for kids like me, that she felt we would relate to it. I was a bit of an outsider in my school.

Ascended wrote:
But back to my earlier post, I forgot to really finish the point of my suggestion which is to have more open ended, less specific thread topics, this way it can encourage people who may visit the site to stay and contribute without feeling they need quite so much specific knowledge. I don't know if others are the same as me but I can go onto forums and some of threads seem to be so specific to subjects on which my knowledge wouldn't fill a postage stamp, I guess the more general topics are easier to participate in, so I'll have a go, and these are the same type of threads that lots of other people tend make posts in as they can feel they've got something to say that is a positive contribution. For example this thread I posting in now I keep relating back to my own experience, now I guess to anyone reading this it comes across as extremely egocentric, but I feel comfortable to write here without feeling that I might be negatively judged and for me at least, feeling wanted and part of something gives me that sense of comfort to want to come on here and post. So, please excuse the rambling as I'm struggling to express why I want come here and post whilst relating it the experience for someone else. Ok what I'm trying to say is that I think that if firstly there are threads on which people feel able to contribute and then feel comfortable enough to do so without fear of it being a negative experience then people will keep coming back and this in turn make the forum busyier and help get more people to come and stay here.

Ok so please excuse me if non of that made any sense and just sounded like incoherent waffling.
It makes perfect sense to me, but then I'm not fully sane. Maybe you should see someone about it. LOL.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:32 am

Ophiolite wrote:

Thoughts?

Wow, I must have made a real contribution to science to have a unit of measure named after me. I am honored, John Galt.

I nominate the name Ophiolite/Galt as the unit of measure for pompousness.

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:05 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
** note to self : start creating nutter sockpuppet ? **

I think that would be a stellarly delicious game, as long as people can appreciate the difference between nutters and trolls. Then again, I seem to really only have the time to be me.

seagypsy
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:46 am

I wouldn't do the sockpuppet thing. It may sound fun but in my opinion, sneaking around with a sockpuppet is dishonest, it is taking regular members for fools and is about as disgraceful as doing an experiment on people without their permission. Not to mention I have seen how sockpuppets have been used to incite fights between members and to make the appearance of more than one victim or to simply troll on more than one ID in order to get someone banned when out of frustration they respond to the apparent multitude of unwarranted attacks. When in reality it was only one person pretending to be several. It's tacky, childish, and shows extreme lack of integrity in the one that chooses to take that path. This forum may grow slowly but it will and it will grow on merit, not drama.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:21 am

no worries seagypsy, i was only kidding - echoing GiantEvil :

GiantEvil wrote:
... I seem to really only have the time to be me.

real life is rather hectic at the moment, and you may have noticed i haven't posted all that much of late

Ascended
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:28 pm

Hey you guys seemed to have already tried my best ideas, so that leaves only one thing for it. That's just inviting cool people to check out the forum and join in. :)

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:51 am

The Forum is moving slowly... I have no-one to argue with... Where's marnix? ;-)

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:07 am
Original Member
Original Member

He's out taking amazing pictures at amazing places having amazing times. Me? I'm at a hotel in Oklahoma City. :lol:

scoobydoo1
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:15 am

Rory wrote:
I have no-one to argue with...

Is there a subject you'd like to talk about?

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:50 pm

Quote:
iNow wrote:
He's out taking amazing pictures at amazing places having amazing times. Me? I'm at a hotel in Oklahoma City.

I know, he’ll come back and post perfect high definition photos of exotic birds in the Daily Species thread, and then casually announce that he’s been on a trip abroad.

Quote:
scoobydoo1 wrote:

Not sure, it’s just disconcerting to not be wound up about Politics. :lol:

scoobydoo1
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:38 pm

Rory wrote:
Quote:
scoobydoo1 wrote:

Personally, I would prefer analysing the thought processes that govern behaviour behind "politics". The human animal is a much more interesting subject than the activities they occupy themselves with.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:36 pm

Really? What's so interesting about the psychology behind politics?

To me it just seems like an extension of the instinct for self-preservation: the rich wish to conserve their resources and the poor wish for redistribution of resources. The Lib Dems get excited any time their existence is acknowledged. :lol:

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:18 am

scoobydoo1 wrote:
Rory wrote:
Quote:
scoobydoo1 wrote:

Personally, I would prefer analysing the thought processes that govern behaviour behind "politics". The human animal is a much more interesting subject than the activities they occupy themselves with.

I completely agree.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:06 am

But what is interesting about human psychology, either as it relates to Politics or as a standalone subject?

It is pretty much all reducible to the fight for gene propagation - dressed up in self-importance and self-righteousness.

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:39 pm

Rory wrote:
It is pretty much all reducible to the fight for gene propagation - dressed up in self-importance and self-righteousness.

Your perspective is a Darwinian one. Most people don't realize what it is all about.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:12 pm

I know, that's what makes human psychology tedious.

Any act of altruism and the individual human launches into (mostly, internal) self-congratulation when all their thoughts and behaviour are merely the self-seeking programming of biology hoping for reciprocation or, at least, an audience to witness their 'supreme virtue'.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:34 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
Any act of altruism and the individual human...

[MODNOTE] Replies to this post have been split into their own thread here >> topic1783.html [/MODNOTE]

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:42 am

Is it wrong that I like the fact that the Forum is quiet at the moment?

Means I can interact with a handful of members I like without others getting in the way :P

scoobydoo1
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:55 am

I wonder which group I belong to.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:09 pm

I wonder if you care :lol:

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:57 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Some days the relative quietness here bores me, but other days, I enjoy the reprieve from the tedious trolls of other sites.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:48 pm

i know i sometimes give people the benefit of the doubt whether to shut them down or not, but if they're clearly bona fide trolls, then i'm quite willing to pull the trigger without any hesitation

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:33 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I also like the more intimate, "a few friends sitting around a table chatting and playing cards" vibe we have going here, but we could in parallel definitely use more posters and more tables (taking the analogy to the obvious next level), or at least move the table from the basement out into the park or along the sidewalk where others might see and sit down with us for a few minutes.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:18 pm

can i be on the veranda ? at least i can stay dry if it rains

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:03 pm
Original Member
Original Member

It seems that the .com site has fully imploded, so be prepared for the flood of refugees.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:42 pm

:lol: I hope the likes of PhDemon don't show up here

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:51 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Anybody is welcome. Threads can be ignored. Personal vendettas should be left behind. Trolls will handled.

Sincerely,
Staff

:ugeek:

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:25 pm

Rory wrote:
:lol: I hope the likes of PhDemon don't show up here

Oh, I don't know, he's probably OK, provided he's not encouraged to act as the forum's self-appointed guardian
I prefer to keep things a bit more relaxed without giving free rein to trolls

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:42 pm

Well if he shows up I'm going into hiding

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:55 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Where will you hide?

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:23 pm

It wouldn't be a hiding place if I told you

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:24 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Will you use camoflauge?

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: more posts and posters please  |  Posted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:08 pm

I might use mimesis. Or I might crawl under my duvet and avoid the Forum for a while.