FAQ
It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:19 am

iNow
Post  Post subject: "S" Stands for Sexy: The New Tesla  |  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:35 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Okay, I don't know if you've seen it yet, but I'm pretty much in love with the new Tesla model S that's coming out in the next few months.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models

It's a fully battery powered 4-door sports sedan that can go 300 miles on a single charge, has trunk/boot space in both the front and back and can hold a mountain bike and still have room for more, and it can go 0-60 mph in just over 5 seconds.

Sometimes it's hard still having a "kid" mentality and wanting new toys. I have so many more pressing things to spend money on, and more "mature" family guy stuff to do, but holy crap... I want one. I love that it's functional, fast, and uses no gas.

What do you think? Any others out there which get you excited?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

x(x-y)
Post  Post subject: Re: "S" Stands for Sexy: The New Tesla  |  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:46 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Damn, nice car- the last picture especially makes it have a certain resemblance to the Jaguar XF. I still like the Aston Martin dbs though!

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: "S" Stands for Sexy: The New Tesla  |  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:33 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Yes, I love Aston's. However, I haven't seen one from them yet which requires zero gasoline / petroleum.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: "S" Stands for Sexy: The New Tesla  |  Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:46 pm
Original Member
Original Member

That's an awesome car! I wish I had the money to buy one. The white one kind of reminds me of a Supra.

DrRocket
Post  Post subject: Re: "S" Stands for Sexy: The New Tesla  |  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:44 am
Original Member
Original Member

iNow wrote:
Okay, I don't know if you've seen it yet, but I'm pretty much in love with the new Tesla model S that's coming out in the next few months.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models

It's a fully battery powered 4-door sports sedan that can go 300 miles on a single charge, has trunk/boot space in both the front and back and can hold a mountain bike and still have room for more, and it can go 0-60 mph in just over 5 seconds.

Sometimes it's hard still having a "kid" mentality and wanting new toys. I have so many more pressing things to spend money on, and more "mature" family guy stuff to do, but holy crap... I want one. I love that it's functional, fast, and uses no gas.

What do you think? Any others out there which get you excited?

Nice car. But if I want to see my brothers whoive 600 miles away, over high mountains, I can drive there is about 3/4 of a day in my Chrysler. Assuming access to the usual 15-20 amp circuits it looks like about a 3-day trip in a Tesla, if I am lucky. Most of that is charging time.

So while it looks nice for short hops with long layovers, it doesn't look good for road trips. Reasonable charging times require 50-amp or more circuits and those are rather rare.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: "S" Stands for Sexy: The New Tesla  |  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:12 am
Original Member
Original Member

Fair enough, but I'm quite impressed that the range is 300 miles. The Chevy Volt only gets about 35-40. 300 is huge, not to mention the great performance and looks of this thing. If you want to go see your brother, and you care about the environment, there's always trains and buses. ;)

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: "S" Stands for Sexy: The New Tesla  |  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:52 am
Original Member
Original Member

I had to check out some of the spec's on this thing, they're here; http://www.teslamotors.com/
Looked pretty cool till I got to the part about the single speed gearbox. Sorry man, gotta have a stick.
Being able to pick a gear helps make the sweet spot in the pedal bigger, pushing spin or pulling drag in the apex can get a person spit.

CaptainPanic
Post  Post subject: Re: "S" Stands for Sexy: The New Tesla  |  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:20 am

That looks like a nice car, and what you describe is a huge family car that behaves like a sports car. Bit over the top for my taste (I live in the real world, with speed bumps and traffic jams), but super cool.

The Tesla website says that the fastest way to charge the batteries at home is the High Power Wall Connector.

From the website:
Quote:
The High Power Wall Connector is the fastest way to charge the Roadster and ideal for garage installation. Fully recharge – from empty to full – in less than 4 hours.

However, in Top Gear (popular car show) they said that modern electric vehicles such as the Nissan Leaf (all electric as well) can be charged from empty to 80% in as little as 30 minutes. That would (slightly?) reduce the battery life, but if you do occasional long distance trips, that is no problem.
Slow charging at home, and fast charging on the road, that's all you need.

Only people who spend a LOT of time on the road (and let's be honest, most of us don't) would still have major problems.

Personally, I really think that the electric car is pouring so much money into battery research that the problems will be overcome soon enough. Charging time of batteries has gone down by a full order of magnitude.

Personally, I see a very bright future for electric cars. All we need now are charging stations at the highway parkings and parkings of gas stations, which isn't rocket science since the grid is usually already in place.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: "S" Stands for Sexy: The New Tesla  |  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:11 pm
Original Member
Original Member

GiantEvil wrote:
Looked pretty cool till I got to the part about the single speed gearbox. Sorry man, gotta have a stick.
Being able to pick a gear helps make the sweet spot in the pedal bigger, pushing spin or pulling drag in the apex can get a person spit.

I understand. I'm well familiar with torque steer and sliding the car through a turn in a low gear, or kicking the ass end out with throttle modulation. However, my understanding is that with this Telsa battery motor you have fairly consistent torque throughout the range. My sense is that you can do the same thing, regardless of current speed, because the torque is always there even without the gears. The power curve is supposed to be pretty steady. I need to drive one myself to confirm, but I don't think that's quite the problem you think it is (at least, not on the Tesla).

CaptainPanic wrote:
However, in Top Gear (popular car show) they said that modern electric vehicles such as the Nissan Leaf (all electric as well) can be charged from empty to 80% in as little as 30 minutes. That would (slightly?) reduce the battery life, but if you do occasional long distance trips, that is no problem.
Slow charging at home, and fast charging on the road, that's all you need.

Yes, but don't forget in the Nissan Leaf you'd just be a star in a reasonably priced car. ;) I think the setup of the Tesla batteries are a bit different, and they have an higher energy density (I need to confirm this) due to the power bands they're using. Hence, it takes longer to fully charge. I absolutely agree with you, though, that quick charge is needed mostly on the road, wherein a standard slow charge at home (or even at the office) would likely suffice.

CaptainPanic wrote:
Personally, I see a very bright future for electric cars. All we need now are charging stations at the highway parkings and parkings of gas stations, which isn't rocket science since the grid is usually already in place.

Another idea I've heard for this are stations where you can perform battery swaps. Basically, you drive up, hand them your dead battery, and for a small fee you replace it with a fully charged one from them. Just put the fully charged replacement in and keep on driving, while they keep yours and put it on a charger for the next customer. It eliminates the need to kill time waiting for your own battery to charge, and is much closer to the current setup we have for fueling stations.

Btw - It's nice seeing you posting. I'm glad you decided to come over. Cheers.

DrRocket
Post  Post subject: Re: "S" Stands for Sexy: The New Tesla  |  Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:22 pm
Original Member
Original Member

CaptainPanic wrote:
From the website:
Quote:
The High Power Wall Connector is the fastest way to charge the Roadster and ideal for garage installation. Fully recharge – from empty to full – in less than 4 hours.

But check out the amperage and voltage needed to power that connector. That is not your average home circuit. Nor is it something that you are likely to find on a road trip. A 4-hour charge draws 70 amps.

Azriel
Post  Post subject: Re: "S" Stands for Sexy: The New Tesla  |  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:39 pm
Original Member
Original Member

yeah, the charging takes serious time. But, as an around-the-town type of car, driving to and from work, or just taking short day trips it's a fantastic car. If battery technology improves in the next couple years to the point where the batteries can hold charge for something on the order of a1500-2000 mile range battery, the car would have a lot more popularity (despite having a far longer charging time)

I personally fell in love with the car months ago when I first saw it. It's a mini dream of mine to own one, and charge it through solar power

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: "S" Stands for Sexy: The New Tesla  |  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:24 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Azriel wrote:
I personally fell in love with the car months ago when I first saw it. It's a mini dream of mine to own one, and charge it through solar power

I almost made the required down payment for it earlier this year, but chose instead to begin the process of getting married, having a honeymoon, and starting a family. It seems finances wouldn't really allow me to do both... Not this year, anyway. 8-)

Azriel
Post  Post subject: Re: "S" Stands for Sexy: The New Tesla  |  Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:33 pm
Original Member
Original Member

yeah, if i could, i would own that car the minute it came out

CaptainPanic
Post  Post subject: Re: "S" Stands for Sexy: The New Tesla  |  Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:51 am

DrRocket wrote:
Quote:

But check out the amperage and voltage needed to power that connector. That is not your average home circuit. Nor is it something that you are likely to find on a road trip. A 4-hour charge draws 70 amps.

Some amperage like that will be available in almost every street in every residential area (it's just the average of about 10 households or so).

I agree that this type of charger is not plug-and-play, but it's relatively easy to get it built.
How much does it cost to get a bigger cable to your house in a residential area? Someone might have to dig up a cable or two, and lay a new one your pour house. How would the cost of such an operation compare to the cost of the Tesla itself?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: "S" Stands for Sexy: The New Tesla  |  Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:36 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I think the Tesla can be plugged into a standard outlet. The fast charger would be more of an optional or upgrade feature. IINM...

I read this today, and it suggests these EV car producers are working to address Dr.R's primary concern:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/german-buil ... harge.html

Quote:
Range anxiety remains one of the biggest hurdles facing electric vehicles today, but a German team has demonstrated that might not be the case for long, with their experimental “Schluckspecht” EV traveling over 1,000 miles on a single charge.

Developed through a partnership between Pforzheim University, the Fraunhofer Institut EMI and the University of Offenburg, the Schluckspecht – which loosely translates to “heavy drinker” – was able to travel 1013 miles on a single charge, smashing the previous EV record of 623 miles.

Azriel
Post  Post subject: Re: "S" Stands for Sexy: The New Tesla  |  Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:38 pm
Original Member
Original Member

With advancements in battery and solar technology both driving range and charging time of the EV's will make them a mainstay in travel. Imagine having a solar bank charge fast dump batteries, that can charge a 3000 mile range car in a matter of several hours or less. That, most certainly, will be a very appealing attribute for future Tesla, and other EV companies', models. If the energy to weight ratio of batteries really does approach gasoline soon, we may see those cross country cars hit the market, and potentially, perhaps even a cross country and back car.