FAQ
It is currently Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:12 am

iNow
Post  Post subject: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:50 pm

Some really great shots from this year. The times, they are a changin', as shown by some of the choice pepper spray images I've shared here.

Check out the link for a more complete review of some of the major events of 2011.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/the-most ... os-of-2011

What other images stand out to you as quintessential 2011?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:42 pm

the main story of the year to me is the ongoing financial crisis in the eurozone, but since that doesn't make for good pictures, here's a few with possible relevance for the future :

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:40 pm

Not to be chronologically pedantic, or anything, but if that first photo is the Deepwater Horizon spill in the Gulf of Mexico from BP, then that was 2010...

And we may not easily show the crisis in the eurozone, but there's always this:

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:37 am

iNow wrote:
Not to be chronologically pedantic, or anything, but if that first photo is the Deepwater Horizon spill in the Gulf of Mexico from BP, then that was 2010...

oops, my mistake

i wish i could have made a pun by stating that the repercussions SPILT over into 2011, but even that doesn't apply :oops:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:38 pm

marnixR wrote:
i wish i could have made a pun by stating that the repercussions SPILT over into 2011, but even that doesn't apply

You sir, are a very clever man, all the same. I love it!

Arab Spring comes to mind for 2011, too:

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:41 pm

which brings the following to mind, with the subtitle "civilisation runs skin deep"

(for those who don't recognise it, that's London 2011, not Los Angeles 1992)

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:07 am

Oh yeah. Nearly forgot about that.

And hurricane Irene (which I think you touched on above):

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:05 am
Original Member
Original Member

A picture of a headline. The real reason they hate him:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:59 am

Ooohhh... Ouch! 8-)

I liked an Onion headline I saw the other day:

"Rumors Of Extramarital Affair End Campaign Of Presidential Candidate Who Didn't Know China Has Nuclear Weapons"

The sad part is that it's funny because it's not even satire, but is simply true.

Then, there's always:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:28 am

Can't forget there is still a war in Afghanistan.

Or that we surpassed 7 billion humans on the planet for the first time since... well... since time began.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:25 am

iNow wrote:

saw a clip of him being questioned about his stance about Lybia and whether Obama had handled himself well in the crisis - you could almost hear the cogs turn in his attempt to figure what exactly Lybia was, then having a minor "aha" moment where he linked it with Gadaffi, then started saying he had some criticism, only to then make a U-turn to say "no, that was something else"

never saw anyone so out of his depth during what was a question you could almost be asked in everyday conversation, let alone an interview
imo, that, rather than allegations of affairs, should have disqualified him as a candidate

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:34 pm

Yeah, when he heard "Lybia" he probably thought "labia" and assumed it was yet another accusation of sexual scandal. You tend to go with what you know, right?

More 2011 pics... Let's not forget wikileaks and Julian Asange.

Or, the potentially superluminal nutrinos at CERN:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:00 pm

And, the Texas drought / wildfires:

x(x-y)
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:15 pm
Original Member
Original Member

The year is not over yet- who knows what the next 20 or so days could bring us? A lot can happen in 20 days in politics, economics, science, conflict etc.

It seems to me though that 2011 has been such a packed year of events and news- we've barely had breathing time to gather our thoughts after one major news story before the next breaking news event happens. And, I know this sounds stupid and rather absurd (which is why I don't even believe it myself), but this years events do make you stop and think about whether the predictions about 2012 could be partially true- even if some of the predicted catastrophic 2012 events do happen, I am fully aware that it's probably just coincidence. Don't worry, I'm not a raving religious lunatic! :D

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:49 am

talking about religious lunatics, here's the new religion :

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:50 pm

Very poignant and leaves me a little emotional at leaving 2011 behind. I am of the generation that stood in awe with tears in our eyes as Apollo 11 landed on the Moon. Perhaps it was the last time that all of us, regardless of culture, colour or creed, stood together in a profound moment where human achivement reached its apogee. Will this moment come again when the first human reaches Mars? It is hard to tell, because our self -fulfilling prophecy about the biblical 'end of times' may be in full swing...

Thanks iNow

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:42 am

jimmydasaint wrote:
It is hard to tell, because our self -fulfilling prophecy about the biblical 'end of times' may be in full swing...

Bah... Religious folks have been saying those things for centuries, and it hasn't self-fulfilled yet! ;)

jimmydasaint wrote:
Thanks iNow

Thanks for participating, too.

Another big event, the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell which excluded homosexuals from open military service in the US:

The inscription reads "When I was in the military, they gave me a medal for killing two men and a discharge for loving one."

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:38 pm

The volcano in Chile:

x(x-y)
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:16 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I completely forgot about the Chile Eruption, and there's the Australian floods too- I'll see if I can find the pictures for that. So much has happened this year, this year was a sad year for the US Shuttle Program too (I'm pretty sure it was this year they ended it).

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:08 am

x(x-y) wrote:
this year was a sad year for the US Shuttle Program too (I'm pretty sure it was this year they ended it).

Good call. I'd forgotten about the last mission with Atlantis.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:33 am

this one reminds me of the classic image of a cowboy disappearing into the sunset

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Pictures from 2011? US pulls out of Iraq.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:29 pm

Work done showing that the expansion of the universe was accelerating won the 2011 Nobel Prize in physics.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:57 pm

We've got the royal wedding:

Historic storms in Chicago:

Kim Jong Il died (just a few hours ago):

Libya saw the downfall of Ghaddafi:

And another from the Japanese tsunami:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:47 am

This simulation of two interacting blackholes took place in 2011 and was placed on the October issue of Physics World:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:59 am

The guy who went on a killing spree with the camp kids in Norway:

Amy Winehouse died:

Bullet train derailed in China:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:13 am

Ten year anniversary of 9/11, and the unveiling of the memorial.

ImageImage
ImageImage

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:25 am

Michael Jackson died:

And the Occupy movement went global:

ImageImage

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:45 pm

we can't leave the year without mentioning Václav Havel, who should have been knighted for services to humanity

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:33 pm

There was the Amanda Knox trial and acquittal:

There was the assassination attempt on Arizona Congresswoman, Gabrielle Giffords... and the short-lived focus from the media on how vitriolic our political rhetoric has become:

ImageImage

There was the molestation of young boys scandal at Penn State (and now several more cropping up):
ImageImage

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:10 pm

Not a picture, per se, but a great short video from ABC News: This Week which aggregated some top stories this year from around the world:

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video/ye ... d-15230848

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:18 pm
Original Member
Original Member

How about personal adventures in 2011? This was a snowshoe outing in March to the Harry Gates Hut. We were late making reservations and wondered why of all the huts only Gates had plenty of vacancies. We found out the reason when we got into the seven mile uphill slog, with a 1500 ft overall elevation gain that included 700 ft loss making the net climb 2200 ft. We wuz just about dead when we go to the hut. But it was worth it...so tomorrow I'm off again to a different hut with only a 3 mile hike in.

ImageImage

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2011 Year in Pictures  |  Posted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 3:50 pm

Awesome! Personal pictures like that are totally welcome. In fact, any participation whatsoever is welcome at this point. Your photos are consistently superb, though... so thanks!