FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:27 pm

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:00 pm

Olinguito wrote:
Southampton 0–5 Arsenal. Image

let me see if I can guess which team you're supporting - West Ham ? Spurs ? Crystal Palace ?

Olinguito
Post  Post subject: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:55 pm

None of them. It's Leyton Orient. :lol:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:35 am
Original Member
Original Member

The best photo I've ever taken

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:53 am

I don't see a photo ?

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:32 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I get it.
At some point I want a go-pro, none of the good stuff ever happens with a device in your hand.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:34 pm

oh, I see
still, you can't download the stuff in your head - unless you got your head in the Cloud :lol:

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:47 pm

I guess I'm happy I'll get to spend a week back home to reevaluate my life. Maybe my parents and me can think of a new path.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:32 am
Original Member
Original Member

I can see the stars from my living room

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:32 am

I cant... Oh wait! *Opens curtains* :lol:

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:07 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Good grief, another revolution of the Sun has happened today for me. Thanks to the forum for acknowledging. About the only famous person I shared it with is now gone, RIP Leonard Nimoy. Just taking it easy, drove wife to airport this a.m. so she could visit a sick brother but I get to be a bachelor for a few days. Feet up on chair, leave coffee mug on living room table, crumbs on kitchen counter and pile up dishes in sink for starters. Only problem with doing all that is the inevitable emergency clean up due just before momma gets home.

EDit: Just remembered its Richard Dawkins' B-day too. I think he's still kicking

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:49 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Happy birthday, ole'timer.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:38 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Happy Belated Birthday Zinjanthropos!

I'm happy to be back to my normal schedule. I've spent the last two weeks on the western side of the state teaching geology and paleontology to seventh grade students.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:45 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Falconer360 wrote:

I'm happy to be back to my normal schedule. I've spent the last two weeks on the western side of the state teaching geology and paleontology to seventh grade students.

Thanks. What you're doing is marvellous for those kids. Do you have to deal with religious parents who won't allow their kids to listen to your blasphemy? ;)

Getting close to June 6, the day I leave for the Okanagan. Don't know if we'll make it to Stonerose but going to try and fit it in, only in Penticton for 2-3 days before heading to coast. We'll be the ones with the Canadian accents.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:18 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Zinjanthropos wrote:
Falconer360 wrote:

Thanks. What you're doing is marvellous for those kids. Do you have to deal with religious parents who won't allow their kids to listen to your blasphemy? ;)

Getting close to June 6, the day I leave for the Okanagan. Don't know if we'll make it to Stonerose but going to try and fit it in, only in Penticton for 2-3 days before heading to coast. We'll be the ones with the Canadian accents.

Thanks. It's really rewarding to see them get so excited for science. So far I haven't had to deal with any parents like that. The schools don't really bother informing the parents that we're going to be presenting to the classes ahead of time. I imagine there were some unhappy parents when their kids came home babbling about fossils and how awesome they are. 8-)

Here's an interesting fact, Canadians spell it Okanagan, while the Americans there spell it Okanogan. I've always wondered which is the correct way. Even if you don't make it to Stonerose, I'm sure that you will have a fantastic trip. It's a great time of year for the area.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:21 am
Original Member
Original Member

An opportunity offered to only seven people out of every thousand. Being one of the seven is an honor.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:45 pm
Original Member
Original Member

iNow wrote:
An opportunity offered to only seven people out of every thousand. Being one of the seven is an honor.

Even though this is the happy corner I find it sad that 993 kids out of a thousand never get to fossil hunt. But I couldn't be happier for the other 7.

SOme of the happiest days of my life were spent taking my two daughters on nature hikes, turning over stones, examining even the tiniest of exposed marine fossils (not too much big stuff in Niagara, found trilobite once). Always took a hammer, rock chisel and magnifying glass with us. Can't ignore the remnants of the past IMHO.

Edit: I started wondering about urban fossil hunting. What can you find in the big city or if anyone actually fossil hunts. Googled, not much there so perhaps an idea for someone to pursue.

Saw this:http://fossilsandotherlivingthings.blogspot.ca/2009/08/searching-for-fossils-in-urban.html

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:41 am
Original Member
Original Member

Great sentiment, Zin, but just to be clear my post was wholly independent from falconers and totally unrelated. My post was about a great leadership training program I got accepted into at work, beating out about 83,500 others.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:15 pm
Original Member
Original Member

MODNOTE: I've split the conversation about Leaders vs. Managers into their own thread here: post28997.html#p28997

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Fri May 12, 2017 1:53 am
Original Member
Original Member

After years of hard work and a mad ceaseless sprint prepping these last several weeks, we placed our home on the market today.

This was my first house. Before here, I'd only ever rented.
I was a temp employee working a support position when I bought it. Didn't even have a down payment.
I was a subprime loan, but I found a way to make it work.

My girlfriend moved in with me here.
She became my wife. She became the mother of my child.
We became parents here. Watched our little girl grow, start swim lessons, dance lessons, preschool.

Baby number two has been gestating here. Nearly ready to hatch, like seriously... any day now.

Construction, painting, planting, driving repeatedly across the country to ready for the move, and all while still working my full-time job without taking time off.

It's finally here. It's finally listed. It's finally time to begin writing the next chapter... but only after a beer and a smile.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:08 pm

I love Dyson air blade hand driers - compared with them other driers are wimps !

Olinguito
Post  Post subject:   |  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:16 pm

Yeah, they're great – but they're also much noisier. And they can only be used to dry hands, not other body parts.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:46 pm

that's why they're HAND driers :D