FAQ
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:24 am

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:24 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'm happy for the hashtag #trumpgrets. It's hilarious.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:41 pm

It's the only thing we know how to do ❤

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:31 pm

Paul Nurse 12th December. That is all.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:12 pm

Cutest. Thing. Ever.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:14 pm
Original Member
Original Member

^That's pretty great

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:56 am

I forgot how nice tea is :D

Jasmine, mint, green, lemon

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:09 pm

Oh chemis tree

Oh chemis tree

How toxic must

Your branches be

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:29 am

That's what we do, that's who we be

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:30 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Xmas day my wife and I drove 1 hour to my daughter's M-I-L's place for gifts and dinner. She has a 14th floor condo along the shore of Lake Ontario. With hands full of gifts I walked towards the front entrance. Looking down I notice a set of car keys. I placed everything down, picked up the keys and hit the attached fob to see if anyone's car taillights came on. I notice a Toyota SUV blinking at me. So I leave a note under the windshield wiper with my cell phone number on it, pick up my packages and go inside. I had no idea if the keys' owner was in the building but I figured there was a good chance. Lo and behold I get a phone call about 3 hours later and it is the car owner. I made arrangements to meet her in the lobby and give her the keys. My reward for this Xmas day good deed was that I got to meet an absolutely beautiful woman, looks and personality.... top shelf. She gives me a big hug and a peck of the cheek, I said Merry Christmas and watched her leave. It made my day.

Edit; Almost forgot, coincidentally this woman had the same first name as my wife.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:35 pm

Zinny, you're married! You're not allowed to admit to finding any other women attractive!

I was half-expecting your tale to end with your MIL giving you a car as a Xmas gift ;)

*Omg it's even worse that she has the same first name as your wife. If I were your wife I would be freaking out! (and so would you, probably for different reasons)

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:47 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
Zinny, you're married! You're not allowed to admit to finding any other women attractive!

I was half-expecting your tale to end with your MIL giving you a car as a Xmas gift ;)

*Omg it's even worse that she has the same first name as your wife. If I were your wife I would be freaking out! (and so would you, probably for different reasons)

My daughter's M-I-L not mine.

Coincidences seem to follow me around.

My wife is good about that innocent stuff. One day early in our marriage she caught me looking at an attractive gal that walked by. I said to my wife "Don't worry, I couldn't help it, it's the guy in me" whereupon she said " Not worried about that, I'd be worried if you didn't look".

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 5:08 pm

That's nice of her. Personally I would still hate it, but that's probably because I'm selfish.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:02 pm

Rory wrote:
... because I'm selfish.

try going on a diet so you can lose the "s"

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:22 pm

:lol: I will always be selfish: I don't want other people concerning themselves with my life, and I don't want to be obligated to concern myself with other people's lives.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:09 am
Original Member
Original Member

Homemade chicken and vegetable soup with wild rice built upon a base of deep, rich, unctuous homemade stock, a stock that's extracted via pressure cooker every last bit of gelatin and flavor from the roasted bones of an entire chicken and that's magnified by celery, onion, carrots, garlic, ginger, and anchovy. Heavy with vegetables, wholesome, hearty, and immensely satisfying. I'll get something like 20 bowls out of this for about $12 which only makes it taste that much better.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:36 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
:lol: I will always be selfish: I don't want other people concerning themselves with my life, and I don't want to be obligated to concern myself with other people's lives.

Ah but you can't control what other people concern themselves with. Like with family for instance, you can give them every reason to cut you from their lives, yet they will still care about you and your well being (some families not all).

Back when I was heavily suicidal, I tried pushing everyone away. Figured life would be easier if everyone hated me and then they wouldn't be concerned if I offed myself. Fortunately I fought that urge and didn't commit that permanent solution to a temporary problem. Later on, someone I knew ended up committing suicide, this person had spent months pushing people away, burning bridges, etc. Turns out that most everyone he pushed away or burned did still care about him and still mourn him several years later. Those people also now feel guilt over his suicide because they didn't see the warning signs and allowed him to push them away.

Anyways point being, you can't control what other people think, feel or are concerned about. And just because others are concerned about you, doesn't mean you should be concerned about them due to obligation. If you feel concerned about someone else, it should be because you choose to, not because you feel you are obligated.

Back to the thread topic:

I'm happy that I was able to live during the same time as the badass Carrie Fisher.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 3:51 pm

I wish I had enough money for a pair of skates then I could skate-dance to this. I wish I sounded my chronological age. That last bit was a lie.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:11 pm

People I've met this year: Lemn Sissay, Andre Geim, Brian Cox (again), Paul Nurse

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:07 pm

New song addiction :) How hot is Zara Larsson 8-)

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:05 pm

My noisy neighbours moved out today :)

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:29 pm
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:
My noisy neighbours moved out today :)

Was it loud music, shouting or live sex(moans, groans, squeals, bedsprings, etc)?

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:39 pm

Mainly shouting (they seemed incapable of communicating at a level below 100 dB whether they were arguing or not) and loud TV/music late at night when I was trying to sleep. They won't be missed ;)

shlunka
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:20 pm

PhDemon wrote:
Mainly shouting (they seemed incapable of communicating at a level below 100 dB whether they were arguing or not) and loud TV/music late at night when I was trying to sleep. They won't be missed ;)

My only neighbor is a squirrel that lives in a maple tree in the yard. At times I count more cookies in the cookie jar than I recall having purchased. This has greatly raised my suspicions that the squirrel is merely a Keebler Elf wearing the flesh of a sciuridae.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:32 pm

Meanwhile, back in the real world... :lol:

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:51 pm
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:

Yeah, never hear too much about neighbours having noisy sex.

I used to live in a duplex. The owner next door decided to move out and rent it to college kids(guys). Noise levels increased exponentially. I had a little siren I put on an intermittent timer, positioned it up against a common wall, and turned it on when I went to work or went out. They shouted at me at first but eventually got the message. Never had a problem after that, guys moved out and the ladies took over. Everything turned out all right.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:07 am
Original Member
Original Member

Zinjanthropos wrote:

My friend lives in an apartment and his upstairs neighbors have very noisy sex. For a while the neighbors across the hall were blaming him and his girlfriend, it was an awkward situation for them.

My closest neighbors are the deer that sleep in my yard on occasion. They're pretty decent neighbors overall. They even mow my lawn. :lol:

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:18 am

Bob Corker has confirmed the UK will be in the "front seat" for a trade deal with the US.

Obama had threatened to put us "back of the queue". How I will cry when Obama leaves office :cry: :cry: :lol:

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:20 am

I'm happy this forum has an ignore list function...

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:23 am

Jesus. I feel quite sad that PhDemon is probably 40 years old or above.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:05 am
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
Bob Corker has confirmed the UK will be in the "front seat" for a trade deal with the US.

Obama had threatened to put us "back of the queue". How I will cry when Obama leaves office :cry: :cry: :lol:

You seriously need to stop using fox news as Your only source of information.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:29 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Falconer360 wrote:
Zinjanthropos wrote:

My friend lives in an apartment and his upstairs neighbors have very noisy sex. For a while the neighbors across the hall were blaming him and his girlfriend, it was an awkward situation for them.

My closest neighbors are the deer that sleep in my yard on occasion. They're pretty decent neighbors overall. They even mow my lawn. :lol:

Quote:
it was an awkward situation for them.

How awkward of a situation is it for a guy and his girlfriend when they hear their neighbors going at it and they're not? ;)

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:36 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Zinjanthropos wrote:
How awkward of a situation is it for a guy and his girlfriend when they hear their neighbors going at it and they're not? ;)

lol What was awkward for them was having to explain to their super that they weren't the ones being loud and that she was capable of not screaming during sex.

I'm happy that I decided to drink an energy drink today. First one since Christmas. But damn does it do wonders for my headaches. Just can't let it become a daily habit again.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:01 am

I'm happy I haven't smoked any cigarettes for a week. The craving (and urge to kill things ;)) is subsiding...

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:28 am
Original Member
Original Member

I'm happy people are still quitting smoking and know enough to celebrate that accomplishment without lighting up another

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:13 am
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:
I'm happy I haven't smoked any cigarettes for a week. The craving (and urge to kill things ;)) is subsiding...

Have you successfully navigated your way through the "Night at the Pub" test?

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:56 am

A few minor trials... The main test will be Friday night!

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:42 am
Original Member
Original Member

Have a plan going in. You know you'll crave one. Come prepared with a response ready to use instead of merely giving in to the temporary craving

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:50 am

iNow wrote:
Have a plan going in. You know you'll crave one. Come prepared with a response ready to use instead of merely giving in to the temporary craving

I have some nicotine gum and a mouth spray, that will be going to the pub with me!

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:53 am

PhDemon wrote:
iNow wrote:

I have some nicotine gum and a mouth spray, that will be going to the pub with me!

Good luck. I see Stringjunky got off the smokes last year

http://www.scienceforums.net/user/14463-stringjunky/
(profile feed)

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:27 pm
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:
A few minor trials... The main test will be Friday night!

Well? How'd it go? Pass or fail?

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:31 pm

I'd say C+...Didn't buy any but stole one from a friend :)

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:01 pm
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:
I'd say C+...Didn't buy any but stole one from a friend :)

Speaking of buying, next to your health, the cost of cigs (are they still called fags?) is a great incentive. You can afford more beer by quitting smoking.

I don't even know what cigarettes cost anymore. When I quit they were 1.25 CDN in the machine, the old pull type found in bars. You used to be able to get a case of beer and a carton of smokes for 20-25 bucks, now you hand the guy 100 dollar bill and you're lucky to get change.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:02 pm

They are still called fags ;) The ones I smoked are ~£10 per pack. I was spending £60-70 per week on smokes!

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:52 pm

PhDemon wrote:
They are still called fags ;) The ones I smoked are ~£10 per pack. I was spending £60-70 per week on smokes!

Quite interesting where the word came from.It seems it may have perhaps been applied to cheap cigarettes.

Apparently "fag ends" were ends of cloth as far back as the 14th century.

http://english.stackexchange.com/questi ... sh-english

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:07 pm
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:

Christ Almighty! That's insane! :shock:

Time to quit, stick with it.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:20 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Yayyyyy! Just booked flight to British Columbia in June to visit daughter. Actually we'll be flying home from Vancouver because we're first flying to a place called Penticton for 3 days then driving to Vancouver. The drive takes a few hours so looking forward to a nice sunny day when that happens, the Rockies are always worth the look and we'll have the camera ready.

Falconer: My B-I-L in Penticton wants to take us to some place in Washington state called Leavenworth for a day. I'm going to mention Republic to him when I get there and hopefully we can make a pit stop at Stonerose or Molson.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:40 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Zinjanthropos wrote:
Yayyyyy! Just booked flight to British Columbia in June to visit daughter. Actually we'll be flying home from Vancouver because we're first flying to a place called Penticton for 3 days then driving to Vancouver. The drive takes a few hours so looking forward to a nice sunny day when that happens, the Rockies are always worth the look and we'll have the camera ready.

Falconer: My B-I-L in Penticton wants to take us to some place in Washington state called Leavenworth for a day. I'm going to mention Republic to him when I get there and hopefully we can make a pit stop at Stonerose or Molson.

Leavenworth is a cool town. It's modeled on a Bavarian village. A lot of people I know go to Leavenworth for their Oktoberfest celebrations. It looks neatest in the winter, when there's a nice layer of snow on the building and they have Christmas lights out, but it should be pretty in June. It hasn't gotten that hot out here typically in June, so everything is still nice and green.

As for pit stops, Molson is closer to your route, but Stonerose is only a minor detour. Furthermore on your way through the Okanagan Valley to Leavenworth, you'll be passing through the primary fruit growing area of Washington. So be sure to stop and get yourself some fresh Washington cherries (they will be in season in June). The orchards generally have signs out indicating what they have for sale. The prices are super cheap compared to supermarket prices. I think on your side of the border there are a lot of people selling fresh raspberries too at that time.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:58 am
Original Member
Original Member

Falconer360 wrote:
Leavenworth is a cool town. It's modeled on a Bavarian village. A lot of people I know go to Leavenworth for their Oktoberfest celebrations. It looks neatest in the winter, when there's a nice layer of snow on the building and they have Christmas lights out, but it should be pretty in June. It hasn't gotten that hot out here typically in June, so everything is still nice and green.

As for pit stops, Molson is closer to your route, but Stonerose is only a minor detour. Furthermore on your way through the Okanagan Valley to Leavenworth, you'll be passing through the primary fruit growing area of Washington. So be sure to stop and get yourself some fresh Washington cherries (they will be in season in June). The orchards generally have signs out indicating what they have for sale. The prices are super cheap compared to supermarket prices. I think on your side of the border there are a lot of people selling fresh raspberries too at that time.

Makes sense, he married a German girl. Her sister and ex ran the roller rink in Penticton years ago. Don't know if it's still there. My ass remembers, never have I fallen as hard on it as I did there. :lol:

I always thought of Leavenworth as a US Federal prison, not sure where, maybe Kansas? I just hope the weatherman cooperates. We were in Vancouver last June and it was cold and wet for the most part.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:47 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Zinjanthropos wrote:
Makes sense, he married a German girl. Her sister and ex ran the roller rink in Penticton years ago. Don't know if it's still there. My ass remembers, never have I fallen as hard on it as I did there. :lol:

I always thought of Leavenworth as a US Federal prison, not sure where, maybe Kansas? I just hope the weatherman cooperates. We were in Vancouver last June and it was cold and wet for the most part.

I haven't been to a roller rink in twenty years probably. I remember falling a lot. Not as much as my failed attempt at ice skating though. The weather difference between Vancouver and Washington is drastically different. This is due to the Cascade Mountain range that separates the Eastern and Western sides of the state. Most of central Washington is in the rain shadow of the mountains so they receive considerably less rainfall. The same is mostly true for Southeastern BC.

Olinguito
Post  Post subject: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:26 pm

Southampton 0–5 Arsenal. Image