FAQ
It is currently Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:49 am

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:11 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Happy that I picked up the rest of the parts and stuff I needed to fix my jeep yesterday.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:22 pm

Happy that this Italian cat was saved.

Laughing at the naivety of the rescuer. Yeah, the cat has been stuck under rubble, in complete darkness, for 16 days - then you pull it out into the blinding sun, its family aren't around, its former home is in ruins, it's trying to catch its breath and make sense of the situation... I don't think it wants you to shove an unmashed tin of catfood directly under its nostrils.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/headlines/37329311

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:07 am

Love you, The North

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1RpWFqs6CR94G8DqKNVKGrQ/a-guide-to-northern-english-accents?intc_type=promo&intc_location=news&intc_campaign=northernaccents&intc_linkname=radio4_northernaccents_article1

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:34 pm

"Heaven was cloudless, and grand with the quiver of its living fires."

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:09 pm

Bridget Jones' Baby was AMAZING - I very much doubt that they will make a sequel, but I wish they would!

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:09 am

Bridget Jones' Zimmer frame ;)

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

Dywyddyr
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:23 am

Rory wrote:

One would expect that someone with an ear for accents (and a coach, no less!) would pronounce the word correctly - aitch rather than haitch.
While she did get cerch and lerkels correct she missed that that pronunciation is peculiar to Ull. Ask the residents/ natives: they wouldn't know Hull if it bit them (especially in the Ezzle Rerd area).
And the map! Rotterham? WTF?

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:15 pm

Quote:
PhDemon wrote:

Bridget Jones' Zimmer frame ;)

:lol:

The day when Bridget Jones accidentally wore one green sock and one blue sock.

Shows the emphasis society places on reproduction... after that, meaning is?

astromark2014
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:32 pm

Location: On a hill near a park. The Whanganui National Park, New Zealand.

Is it that I have issues of perception ? ( probably ) , or just that my mind is not able to keep up with the butterfly action of others..
Where the random yet deliberate chaos of flight does get it where it wants to go.. and that I have no idea what that was..
So I pull up a chair and sit slurping that first mouthful of coffee and enjoy it more than I should.. That's a good thing I have decided..

Dywyddyr
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:23 pm

The latest addition to my library arrived, and it's as good as I expected it to be:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1910809004/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dywyddyr
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:41 am

Not sure if this should actually go in the Rant Corner rather than here, but - on the basis that it's actually recognition as an "authority" - I'll put it here: I've just discovered that I'm being used a a source of information for arguments in the comments sections of YouTube videos (people are quoting my Quora posts and naming me).

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:05 am
Original Member
Original Member

Have been working 16+ hour days and weekends these past 2+ months to deliver a massive amount of materials, tools, guides, and a cornucopia of enablement resources to over 200 of my global colleagues.

My peer and I launched everything this morning on a 2-hour call and it's going to immediately make their days simpler, make them all better at their jobs, free them up to focus where they want to be, while in parallel improving the experience of the thousands of customers they support and the hundreds of thousands of employees working for those customers.

It went really well, better than I could've hoped. Overwhelmingly positive response. I'm so drained, so gratified, and so ready for the weekend!

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:39 pm

Pomona is the coolest station <3

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:54 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Happy that it's raining. I hope it continues through the weekend. We need the moisture. Also it makes it very pleasant outside, high of 55 degrees F today and a low of 40. Perfect.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:33 am

I love electricity, the internet, self-service checkouts, instant card payments and public transport infrastructure.♥

janus
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:55 am

Got some good news from my daughter yesterday. She texted to say that she got a promotion at work which came with a ~4k a year raise.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:23 am

janus wrote:
Got some good news from my daughter yesterday. She texted to say that she got a promotion at work which came with a ~4k a year raise.

**Like**

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:18 pm

Today the 2.25 at Lingfield, I put 10 quid on Assassinate to win, the horse came in at 7/1.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:20 pm

I've been named as a Highly Cited Researcher for 2016 by Thomson Reuters!

Quote:
You were selected as a Highly Cited Researcher because your work has been identified as being among the most valuable and significant in the field. Very few researchers earn this distinction – writing the greatest number of reports, officially designated by Essential Science Indicators as Highly Cited Papers. In addition, these reports rank among the top 1% most cited works for their subject field and year of publication, earning them the mark of exceptional impact.

I'm quite pleased ;) Off to the pub!

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:45 pm
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:
I've been named as a Highly Cited Researcher for 2016 by Thomson Reuters!

Quote:
You were selected as a Highly Cited Researcher because your work has been identified as being among the most valuable and significant in the field. Very few researchers earn this distinction – writing the greatest number of reports, officially designated by Essential Science Indicators as Highly Cited Papers. In addition, these reports rank among the top 1% most cited works for their subject field and year of publication, earning them the mark of exceptional impact.

I'm quite pleased ;) Off to the pub!

Dude! Congrats! That's awesome. Have fun at the pub.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:46 pm

I've just received a message saying the highly cited thing was sent to me by mistake :( Still in the pub though ;)

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:23 pm
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:
I've just received a message saying the highly cited thing was sent to me by mistake :( Still in the pub though ;)

I was going ask if that distinction came with a pay raise but I guess not. ;)

Sounds cruel but would you want an award from people who can't even deliver a message to the right person. You should answer them with the most highly cited words of all time....F**K OFF

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:32 pm

It was a bit of a surprised as although my papers are cited a lot I didn't think I qualified for the big leagues... It was apparently an automated thing from the database, at least they spotted the glitch early before I started boasting too much :lol:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:22 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I say save the original note and add it to your annual performance review :lol:

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:37 am
Original Member
Original Member

I agree with Inow. :twisted: Tell them you never received the correcting email. After all, if they're incompetent enough to send it to the wrong person, they might be incompetent enough to never correct the mistake. I recently had an associated researcher randomly call me to ask why I hadn't answered any of their emails, well it turned out they had been sending them to the an old email address of mine from several years ago, even though they have my current one. Point is incompetence in scientific circles concerning communication doesn't surprise me.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:50 am

^Like Zinjanthropos' post

Send Reuters an email saying they've won a prize for being the most competent publishing company. With subject: you need not check if this was sent in error.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:23 pm

Nature in my letterbox - I never imagined I'd be able to afford a subscription

Thank you, ESOF <3

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:58 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'm happy that my younger brother turns 21 this week, so we get to throw him a huge party and he will finally be allowed in bars.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:00 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Falconer360 wrote:
I'm happy that my younger brother turns 21 this week, so we get to throw him a huge party and he will finally be allowed in bars.

As long as he doesn't end up behind bars. Congrats to your brother. :D

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:43 pm

Zinjanthropos wrote:
Falconer360 wrote:

As a student I was behind bars a lot (barman was one of my part time jobs ;))

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:46 pm
Original Member
Original Member

PhDemon wrote:
Zinjanthropos wrote:
Falconer360 wrote:

As a student I was behind bars a lot (barman was one of my part time jobs ;))

Speaking of bars, I remember a student job I had one summer. I delivered Coca-Cola products and there was a strip joint in Niagara Falls where I had to walk through the dancers' change room to drop off the goods. The girls were always in a state of undress or naked and like a pack of barracudas they would descend on me looking for free soft drinks. In particular they were after splits, a small bottle that contained only a few ounces used to mix drinks. I was allowed a percentage of breakage so I always accommodated them. AHH....those were the days my friend.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:11 pm

Makes me jealous! My other students jobs were librarian, chemistry tutor, factory worker and lab tech... all very tame and no nekkid ladies ;)

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:30 pm

That sounds like my summer job of serving cocktail sausages to bare-chested men zealous for more :lol:

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:11 am
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
That sounds like my summer job of serving cocktail sausages to bare-chested men zealous for more :lol:

Half naked men with little wooden spears poking through their sausage wanting more of what? ;)

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:22 am

This thread is WRONG :D

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:43 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:

This thread is hilarious!

I think Zinjanthropos takes the prize for best student job.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:53 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Falconer360 wrote:
Rory wrote:

This thread is hilarious!

I think Zinjanthropos takes the prize for best student job.

That summer will always be difficult to forget. There's more than one Peeler Palace in Niagara Falls. I got to go to several others. Although I didn't get to walk through any other change rooms at other establishments, I can't think of a time where the girls left me alone. There was one place in Fort Erie (on Canadian border across from Buffalo NY) and when I got there early one morning before opening time I found a bunch of practically naked women doing their routines on the dance floor. Myself and the DJ were the only guys there. Another great day!!! Seems the Coca-Cola man was a popular distraction. When I got back to the distribution centre at the end of the day, all the regular guys would ask me about my experiences on that route. They knew all about this stuff and would laugh their heads off.

Falconer: Aren't you the fossil hunter? Did you not say you work(ed) at a dig in the state of Washington where tourists can venture? My daughter lives in BC and I was wondering what the name of the place is because I thought I'd send her & husband on trip to check it out during the summer

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:02 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Zinjanthropos wrote:
Falconer: Aren't you the fossil hunter? Did you not say you work(ed) at a dig in the state of Washington where tourists can venture? My daughter lives in BC and I was wondering what the name of the place is because I thought I'd send her & husband on trip to check it out during the summer

That would be correct. I work at a place called Stonerose, here's the link to our website: http://stonerosefossil.org/ I definitely suggest coming in May or June, compared to like July or August if possible. Partly because it's easier to find fossils before when it's cooler out and partly because it's earlier in the season so there are less people vacationing.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:53 am
Original Member
Original Member

Falconer360 wrote:
Zinjanthropos wrote:

That would be correct. I work at a place called Stonerose, here's the link to our website: http://stonerosefossil.org/ I definitely suggest coming in May or June, compared to like July or August if possible. Partly because it's easier to find fossils before when it's cooler out and partly because it's earlier in the season so there are less people vacationing.

I'll be in Penticton some time next year visiting my B-I-L so I might make the trip myself. I actually crossed the border near Osoyoos years back looking for a place to stay for the night. It was Peach Festival time in the Okanagan and there wasn't a room anywhere. That day my wife got nervous once inside the U.S. and she made me drive back into Canada. Looked like something out of the movie Deliverance and she got spooked. Ended up driving through the Rockies at night all the way to Vancouver. However the sky was clear and the night sky spectacular.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:57 am

Long after humanity eventually burns itself out, the constants of nature will still exist in all their glory.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:30 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Zinjanthropos wrote:
Falconer360 wrote:

I'll be in Penticton some time next year visiting my B-I-L so I might make the trip myself. I actually crossed the border near Osoyoos years back looking for a place to stay for the night. It was Peach Festival time in the Okanagan and there wasn't a room anywhere. That day my wife got nervous once inside the U.S. and she made me drive back into Canada. Looked like something out of the movie Deliverance and she got spooked. Ended up driving through the Rockies at night all the way to Vancouver. However the sky was clear and the night sky spectacular.

There are definitely some areas in Eastern Washington that either make me think of Deliverance or maybe The Hills Have Eyes. The area south of Christina Lake at Laurier would be one such place. I like Osoyoos, but I don't care much for the Washington section of the Okanagan. Grand Forks is closer to me though and it's a beautiful little town. If you come down through the border crossing at Osoyoos, I suggest going over to the little ghost town of Old Molson. It's pretty neat, you can just wander around it at your leisure.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:30 pm

How have I only just found Tomi Lahren

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:33 pm

They were hiding from you...
In the pub, drinking beer, playing darts and showing off my mental arithmetic skills ;)

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:42 pm

Maybe you'll make it as a calculator

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:49 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
How have I only just found Tomi Lahren

Because she's pretty much a nobody even by right wing standards. I didn't know who she was until I watched Trevor Noah run circles around her.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:14 am

The death throes of this socioeconomic system, characterised by those who don't want to deal with the honesty of ordinary citizens.

Tomi represents the incumbent whether you like it or not

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:04 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
The death throes of this socioeconomic system, characterised by those who don't want to deal with the honesty of ordinary citizens.

Tomi represents the incumbent whether you like it or not

No she represents the alt-right of the upper middle class and Trump. She can't even see the gaping holes in her arguments: http://www.cc.com/video-clips/m9ds7s/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-exclusive---tomi-lahren-extended-interview

Back to the thread though, I'm happy that I get to take my little brother out tonight and destroy his liver! :twisted:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:09 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'm happy people are learning to stop calling them the Alt-Right and instead calling them out as racists and modern day nazis.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:52 pm

What's racist about Tomi Lahren?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: happy corner  |  Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:16 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'm happy I'm not obligated to defend myself against strawmen or chase after red herrings. I'm also happy people are so committed to the underlying premise of this thread and its intended structure.