FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:32 am

marnixR
Post  Post subject: rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:33 pm

i see that this forum is missing a soapbox, somewhere where people can vent their frustration at the injustices, awkwardness or annoyances of life

my rant for the day follows from walking up Snowdon a few months ago, and finding it more crowded than a nightclub in Cardiff on a friday night
not only that, but modern technology has now extended mobile phone coverage to a fairly remote corner of a national park - handy if you've broken your leg and you want to be airlifted, but when it comes to everyday usage, do you really need to ring up your mates and let them know you're on the top of Snowdon ?
worst of all are the guys who go on-line just to make an entry on facebook or twitter

i almost feel like starting a facebook group against people who do so
(and yes, i know there's a not so hidden irony in there somewhere)

ImageImage

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:37 pm

Live and let live brother. :)

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:47 pm

that's not much of a rant :?:

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:54 pm

tridimity wrote:
When people don't hold the door open as you are right behind them. When people hold the door open as you are half way down the corridor, making you feel obliged to rush to the door so that they do not have to hold it open for long. When people stop and stand still in the stupidest of places - at busy entrances and exits, where it's clear people are trying to get past. People who walk on the wrong side of the corridor. People who walk slowly. These things have me gritting my teeth on a daily basis.

reminds me of that quote on motorway driving :

"there's only 2 type of drivers i hate, and that's those who drive slower than me (sunday drivers) and those who drive faster than me (boy racers) - but what i hate the most is that guy who keeps on tailing me all the time !"

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:31 pm

People who hand out flyers in the street. Telesales people. 'Yes, because if I wanted a new refrigerator, I'd sit and watch whilst my food became mould-infested and wait on a telephone call from a guy selling refrigerators, rather than go out and buy a new one.' :roll: :evil:

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:41 pm
Original Member
Original Member

^^ I can't help but imagine you saying all this in a thick Manchester accent. :)

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:44 pm

I could try Brummie, but I'm not very good at it ;)

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:31 pm

another bugbear of mine : electronic motorway signs, the amount of money they must have cost, and the often inane messages they display - the one below is actually quite informative in comparison, but that's more often than not the exception

how about exhortations like "fasten your seatbelt" or "don't drink and drive" ? is anyone really going to take any notice ?
or the one that says "Fog" - oh, so that's what this white stuff is called that i'm driving through !
or even worse, "slow down, accident ahead" hours after the motorway has already been cleared - who's been sleeping on the job then ?

the best use i got out of these signs is that they tell the time quite accurately, so i can set the time in my car to an agreed standard - tbh not that much of a payback for the large amounts of money invested

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:31 am

Quote:
or the one that says "Fog" - oh, so that's what this white stuff is called that i'm driving through !

Lol :lol:

drowsy turtle
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:08 am
Original Member
Original Member

Conversely, people who continue to drive past when you're already on a zebra crossing, causing you to have to dive to safety.

For some reason, this happens to me a lot. Maybe I should stop wearing zebra pattern clothes...

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

drowsy turtle
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:19 am
Original Member
Original Member

Being made to work a night shift after lectures 9-5 in the day. Grr.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

drowsy turtle
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:22 am
Original Member
Original Member

People who feel it is acceptable to park outside my house. It's not, that's where I park.

drowsy turtle
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:24 am
Original Member
Original Member

People who post scrappy bits of paper saying "Jesus loves you" through my letterbox. It's very flattering, but I'm afraid I'm not gay. Sorry Jesus (who is presumably some Mexican guy?).

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:08 am

drowsy turtle wrote:
For some reason, this happens to me a lot. Maybe I should stop wearing zebra pattern clothes...

word of advice : i'd get rid of the prison suit

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:11 am

can't stand the H in "IMHO"
either it's your opinion or it isn't, but if you're going to splash it all over the internet, how can it be humble ?

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:40 am

Quote:
can't stand the H in "IHMO"either it's your opinion or it isn't, but if you're going to splash it all over the internet, how can it be humble ?

I think this is akin to people saying, 'please don't shout at me for saying this...'

Reminds me of people who say things like, 'I don't mean to be nasty, BUT...'

Clearly, they are being nasty and should at least have the integrity to stand by their own opinions.

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:29 am

Lab Magpies. The ones who use your lab equipment without asking and, more often than not, don't return it.

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:35 pm

marnixR wrote:
that's not much of a rant :?:

Yes you are correct. How about this.
I can not stand the limp wristed faggets who tell me to leave my car at home coz we have to save the planet. :evil:

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:05 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I hate it when people choose to call other people faggOts and spell it wrong... :P

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:42 pm

Seminar-hecklers - people who needlessly antagonise the speaker. Also, arrogant people.

Guitarist
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:52 pm

So-called "science discussion forums" that contain almost zero scientific content.

Neo sites that attempt to entice members of an established site with a well established scientific content to one that has almost none

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:02 pm

I hate people who annotate library books, with no thought for the sensibilities of the next people who read the book and sometimes do not agree with the annotations. Why not just buy the book? :roll:

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:46 pm

KALSTER wrote:
I hate it when people choose to call other people faggOts and spell it wrong... :P

Yes, well I had got myself all worked up. :) Anyway I do like faggots, they taste very nice. :)

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:25 am
Original Member
Original Member

I get sick of people who bitch and moan and complain all of the time, and just leave it at that. If you don't have a recommendation or a solution to make things better, then STFU already.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Hermit
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:27 am
Original Member
Original Member

We get road workers who are doing a job clear of the road, and have road cones and speed restriction signs up. That is OK. I don't mind slowing from 100 kph to 70 kph to protect the lives of guys who are working nearby. But what really annoys me is when they pack up on a Friday afternoon for the weekend and cannot be bothered removing the cones and the signs, in spite of the fact that there is no earthly reason for anyone to slow down when they are away. Yet by law, if you go faster in spite of an unnecessary sign, you can be fined.

drowsy turtle
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:11 am
Original Member
Original Member

Hermit wrote:
We get road workers who are doing a job clear of the road, and have road cones and speed restriction signs up. That is OK. I don't mind slowing from 100 kph to 70 kph to protect the lives of guys who are working nearby. But what really annoys me is when they pack up on a Friday afternoon for the weekend and cannot be bothered removing the cones and the signs, in spite of the fact that there is no earthly reason for anyone to slow down when they are away. Yet by law, if you go faster in spite of an unnecessary sign, you can be fined.

The A1 comes immediately to mind - 3 years of average speed checks, scheduled to end in february (which they almost certainly won't).

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:21 am
Original Member
Original Member

I have a hard time when ignorant people who are clearly not burdened with an excess of schooling or education act all condescending and "holier than thou" regarding a topic where they're quite obviously more clueless than a handicapped monkey high on meth trying to do Lorenz transformations with an abacus and a fat crayon.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:39 pm

middle lane hoggers

the highway code in the uk says that you should move to the left hand lane as soon as you have overtaken a vehicle, and as long there's not another vehicle in overtaking distance

however, you do have lazy drivers who feel that the comfortable life for them means they stay in the middle lane, independent of speed and whether they're really overtaking / about to overtake anyone or not, thereby effectively reducing the motorway to 2 lanes

and then they feel aggrieved when people show their displeasure by undertaking them or cutting them up

DrRocket
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:40 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
middle lane hoggers

and then they feel aggrieved when people show their displeasure by undertaking them or cutting them up

In the U.S they are overtaken and possibly cut off. We reserve actually cutting them up for only the most egregious cases. :D

drowsy turtle
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:25 am
Original Member
Original Member

The sun. I've had enough of it's shit.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:40 am

drowsy turtle wrote:

people who don't know the difference between it's and its :lol:

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:24 pm
Original Member
Original Member

The sun. I've had enough of its shit.
The sun. I've had enough, it's shit.

Thankfully the rules for capitalization aren't as subtle as those for apostrophication.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:55 pm

the rules of capitalisation don't apply if you speak softly and carry a big stick

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:19 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
the rules of capitalisation don't apply if you speak softly and carry a big stick

The rules of capitalization don't apply AT ALL if you're speaking. :roll:

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:28 am

conclusion : where's the big stick i'm carrying ?

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:24 am
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:

Should I be subtle, or blatant, concerning my suspicions about the location of the stick?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:11 pm

you've clearly chosen your username with care :roll:

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:29 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I wanted "DogBiter", but it apparently had been taken.
I hate it when people take all the good user names.

drowsy turtle
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:19 am
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
drowsy turtle wrote:

people who don't know the difference between it's and its :lol:

Languages with an inconsistent possessive tense.

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:10 am
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
Do you have a wooden leg?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:58 am

that's for me to know and you to find out

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:08 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I am beginning to understand how someone becomes a "militant atheist". My capacity for restraining myself in the face of the kind of deficient reasoning and intellectual dishonesty displayed by just about every believer/IDiot/creationist/spiritualist/etc I encounter is just about gone. Exchanges with these people are making me bitter, borderline hateful and short fused, while at the same time leaving me very negative and saddened by the pitiful state of the average Joe's reasoning faculties. And I don't like it!

At the same time I have a need to try and talk sense into these people, to point out their faulty reasoning, ignorance and often dishonesty for their sake, but also for those non-participants that might gain something from the conversation. Some of it is ego (I am human), but I have a need to both understand people and to awaken understanding in others, to foster some basic critical faculties. I have personally gained a huge amount from my own "awakening" and wish to share and spread what I have gained.

How the hell am I supposed to stay sane? Aaaaaargh!!!

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:18 am
Original Member
Original Member

KALSTER wrote:
I am beginning to understand how someone becomes a "militant atheist". My capacity for restraining myself in the face of the kind of deficient reasoning and intellectual dishonesty displayed by just about every believer/IDiot/creationist/spiritualist/etc I encounter is just about gone. Exchanges with these people are making me bitter, borderline hateful and short fused, while at the same time leaving me very negative and saddened by the pitiful state of the average Joe's reasoning faculties. And I don't like it!

At the same time I have a need to try and talk sense into these people, to point out their faulty reasoning, ignorance and often dishonesty for their sake, but also for those non-participants that might gain something from the conversation. Some of it is ego (I am human), but I have a need to both understand people and to awaken understanding in others, to foster some basic critical faculties. I have personally gained a huge amount from my own "awakening" and wish to share and spread what I have gained.

I went through an evangelistic atheist phase myself. Just like all other things, give it time and it will pass. I think the best way to differentiate oneself from the believers is with self doubt.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:27 am
Original Member
Original Member

I felt the atheism and frustration/exasperation discussion could be interesting, and have created a new thread to explore it further: topic414.html

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:43 am

Quote:

Try as best you can, Kalster! ;)

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:24 am
Original Member
Original Member

Anti-rant:

I love you man. It's all cool.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:41 pm
Original Member
Original Member

This is just pitch perfect, and a bit awesome.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/game_of_thrones

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sun May 13, 2012 7:17 pm

can't stand people who drive slower than me - sunday drivers !
also can't stand people who drive faster than me - boy racers !
but i especially can't abide the chap that's now been tailing me for the last half hour :evil:

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:08 am
Original Member
Original Member

I would like to complain about the fact that the consequences for hard work and honesty are not always positive. Whoever is running this show, I'd like to give them a doubled up five fingered face fucking. Hell yea!

Prometheus
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:53 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Who is flying helicopters over London again and again, and especially on nights before exams, at two in the bloody morning?