FAQ
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:10 pm

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:05 am
Original Member
Original Member

paleoichneum wrote:
Wow, tirade much?

I posted based of watching the posts of said poster for a long while now.

Sometimes, sometimes just because, sometimes for a cause. Just because your one of the people I like, it doesn't mean I'm just gonna let you slide on being a dick to a nice girl. If you haven't noticed, that sort of thing get's my dander up.

And yeah, same here, for all entandres.

P.S. I'll be voting third party this election!

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:40 am
Original Member
Original Member

GiantEvil wrote:
P.S. I'll be voting third party this election!

The last minute of this video highlights for me the exact problem with your current mindset

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:40 am
Original Member
Original Member

You don't want me to cast my vote from fear. I fear the Clinton machine far more than the bombastic orange fool.

Now having been told that the main advertised soda's are Pee Cola, or Poop Cola, I'm just going to have some Un-Cola from that case in the dark corner. Seem's like the rational choice for myself. If other people want to drink Pee or Poop Cola... then that's their problem. I don't know what to tell them.

And Samantha Bee, she's a pundit. I'm disinclined to prima fascie accept the pronunciations of any pundit from any respective sociopolitical bubble.

And maybe the third parties and indy's in Maine prevented LePaige from winning bigger. Why is it assumed that any vote not going to a Republican was originally the Democrats vote? No party owns any Americans vote. Nor should any two specific parties collectively own any Americans vote, and they don't. It's just that some Americans don't seem to realize that, no one or two parties should or actually do own any votes.

Here, I think the following Louis C.K. quote implies what I mean. Just think third parties instead of forigners, and votes instead of jobs;
"Of course foreigners steal your job, but maybe, if someone without contacts, money, or speaking the language steals your job, you're shit." -Louis C.K.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:41 am

CBA with work today

Rather be in bed watching TV

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:42 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I actually enjoyed the new Ghostbusters movie, and am irritated that it is now unlikely to get a sequel. And to those irritated that it was a reboot and not a sequel to the originals, that decision was made due to the death of Harold Ramis.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:34 am

When there's someone in your life you wish you'd never met. Ctrl+Esc

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:26 am

Rory wrote:
Ctrl+Esc

not Ctrl+Alt+Del ?

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:55 pm

I'm not into assassination

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:05 pm
Original Member
Original Member

My car is sitting at a mechanic shop 120 miles away because it decided to blow a seal or something while my girlfriend was taking a friend to the airport. I ended up having to leave work about a half hour early then drive (borrowed my neighbors car) down there, pick her up, then drive back in really foggy, rainy conditions with very limited visibility. I got home at 11:30 at night and then had to get up at 5am for work. Some days you wish you had stayed in bed.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:10 pm

There is salvation in the resignation.

Some days you just think "okay, world, I get it. My alarm cancelled itself this morning, I was late. Rushed to get ready. Got to the station on time but the train was cancelled. I could have spent an extra hour in bed. Instead, I had to wait alone on a cold, dark, rainy platform needing the toilet. Finally got to work and my boss is being narky with me. I know, I know. I give up. I'll probably leave my travel pass on the train. Have to buy a new one. That will tip my overdraft. I'll have to pay the fine. On the way home I'll tread in dog mess. The carrier bag holding my shopping will rip and I'll have to lumber my groceries home like a Lara Croft mission."

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:45 pm
Original Member
Original Member

New rant to add to my last one. So it didn't blow a seal but the motor is blown. Rebuild (or new motor) is going to cost between $4,000 and $6,000. This week is shit.

Chrispen Evan
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:09 pm

Quote:
blow a seal

had a pet penguin that used to do that.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:37 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Important service announcement:

DO NOT drop 45lb weight plates or heavy wooden dressers on either toes or the tops of feet.

That is all.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:17 pm
Original Member
Original Member

paleoichneum wrote:
Important service announcement:

DO NOT drop 45lb weight plates or heavy wooden dressers on either toes or the tops of feet.

That is all.

:shock: :shock: :shock: Dude

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:40 pm

Goodbye, society. CBA with you anymore.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:09 am

Top set year 9 can't follow a flowchart to plan an experiment which has just been demo-ed to them and the aim and variables explained by class discussion.

Proving that the top set of crap is still crap

Rory
Post  Post subject: Data society  |  Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:34 am

[MODNOTE: This post and the 3 that follow originally appeared in their own thread.]

When it comes down to it, schools are about money and data.

Management don't really care if Billy is excited abiut Science; if he is given the chance to explore questions about nature as and when they occur to him to ask them.

As long as he's sitting in the right seat at the right time with his date and title underlined.

As long as he doesn't screw up the attendance or progress data.

Schools live in spreadsheets and promotional banners.

Goodbye, schools.

I'm going to teach kids the natural way.

The right way.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Data society  |  Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:01 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
When it comes down to it, schools are about money and data.

Among other things like the education of children and ensuring a basic minimum opportunity for all.

Rory wrote:
Management don't really care if Billy is excited abiut Science; if he is given the chance to explore questions about nature as and when they occur to him to ask them.

This depends on the individual managers, does it not?

Rory wrote:
As long as he's sitting in the right seat at the right time with his date and title underlined.

As long as he doesn't screw up the attendance or progress data.

See above. Best I can tell, you're engaging in very sloppy thinking here, specifically the generalization fallacy. You're trying to extrapolate a tiny handful of local experiences that affected you personally and emotionally across the education system as a whole.

Also, from what is shared in your OP it seems you're unaware of what drives funding and forgetting that what gets measured gets managed. Instead of lashing out at otherwise good people trying to help folks and doing their best given limited resources, you should work to improve the way those resources are allocated and even to increase their availability.

Rory wrote:
I'm going to teach kids the natural way.

The right way.

Will you please elaborate? If not, I'll just add this post to the pile of shit that's built up in the rant thread. No need for it to have its own if you're planning to leave it as is.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Data society  |  Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:50 pm

Lovely to interact with you, once again, iNow

Actually my post was an expression of personal frustration, it's not necessarily applicable in every circumstance, it's not a scientific analysis. That's why I posted in the Coffee Shop.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Data society  |  Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:44 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Posts merged

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:40 am

I don't believe in this society anymore. There is no vision for the future - even so-called British values add up to a rulebook for the citizenry. The outcome of that rulebook is existence.

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:50 am

I think I am probably quite boring to the science community.
I read mostly

I am a theatre whore

But actually some of theatre is based on science!

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:28 pm
Original Member
Original Member

babe wrote:
I think I am probably quite boring to the science community.
I read mostly

I am a theatre whore

But actually some of theatre is based on science!

How are you babe? You're looking great!!! :D Did I dream this or did I actually hear that your good LPGA friend Jan Stephenson once had relations with the Donald? If its true then I'd have to say Trump has a good eye. Just knowing this much would've been enough for me to have voted for him. :twisted:

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:50 am

I know she knows the Donald....and she is a good friend of mine!

However we don't discuss it....as I detest the DONALD!!!!

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:52 am

hope to have a sound clip soon!!

LOVE YOU GUYS!!

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:49 pm

Completely broke :'-( time to hibernate

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:44 pm

Already bored of Christmas :| :lol: BORED

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:24 pm

how about trying the next one ?

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:57 pm

Writing a research proposal i.e. using Science to pretend Christmas doesn't exist :D

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:46 am

Don't want to go and do the Christmas lunch thing. :(

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:48 am

say you've joined a new religion which fasts all through the xmas period

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:19 pm

Turned out to be quite nice, go figure

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:35 pm
Original Member
Original Member

A new low for the Pet Vet. I don't know what universities and colleges are churning out these days with respect to animal doctors but has this profession gone to the sharks? I believe I've ranted on about veterinarians when my cat died earlier this year. I don't know what else can happen to me this month but my bad luck streak continues.

Yesterday I get a call from my mother. Her beloved cat wasn't doing too well. I get there and Earl is in rough shape, struggling to breathe, barely moving. With my mom in tow I take him in to a vet and the diagnosis is that Earl has pneumonia and he's barely hanging on. Now this cat is no spring chicken, about 16-17 years old with some other problems associated with aging. My mom is given the news that for $1200 the vet could perform a medical procedure. However this came with no guarantee that Earl would recover or survive. I had mentioned to my mom earlier that the best thing to ease Earl's suffering might be to put him down.

So on behalf of my mother I ask the vet if she could put Earl down. It was a mere 250 bucks. The vet says to my mom, I'm paraphrasing...."Well if you feel this way then we can try the procedure and if we're successful we'll offer him up for adoption at the local animal shelter, plus you agree to sign a release that states you no longer wished to care for the animal." It was said in such a way as to shame my mother into paying the 1200 bills for the procedure.

I could see my mom was visibly upset so I cut in. I said to the vet, 'You're telling us that you'll do the job for free if my mother agrees to sign a false document, and the cat is taken away from her? But if she doesn't pay you 1200 then you're perfectly willing to euthanize the cat? Either way my mom is left with no cat and Earl's chances are slim or none. Your logic fails me and I think my mom already feels bad enough." I was going to call the vet out on whether she was lying about Earl's chances of survival but I didn't say anything. My mom was not doing well at this time. I'm thinking con job all the way.

I really don't think she expected my reply to her attempted extortion.. She backed off, my mom signed the euthanasia papers and I paid the 250 dollars. Mom said her goodbyes to Earl. I wasn't about to go to another vet and get hit with more fees than we already were on the hook for. Talking to others I'm hearing more of the same experiences with veterinarians these days. Playing on the emotions of pet owners is about as low as it gets IMHO.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:21 pm

Yes, I've experienced the money-grabbing culture of vets. Last summer my cats had a few fleas - the year before they were infested with the critters. So I went to my vets expecting to be able to pay for a batch of flea treatment that worked last time and is recognised as the most efficacious and safest (though expensive) treatment. No - my vet wouldn't let me buy the treatment unless I booked my cats in for a flea check first. How retarded can a vet be.

The entire profession is just a $$$ machine.

Edit: since universities have turned into businesses they, too, are just wonga machines. Buy a bit of paper! You won't learn anything, it won't help you in the jobs market, but it will have some letters on and your number. I mean, name.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:44 pm

Why do so many essential services shut down for so long over the holidays?

It's the 2nd January, nothing special. Would like to be able to actually start the new year, not be stuck inside :evil:

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:02 am

HOLIDAY

Stop bitching!

HAPPY NEW YEAR to all that I love here and hope you heard me singing and didn't go deaf

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:48 am

Chief Executive of the Rail Delivery group hails 2.3% fare increase as a "success story"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_aud ... s/38487659

I've travelled by rail frequently since 2007. Seen many fare hikes but no substantial improvement in service - if anything, it's worsened over time.

One example of why I no longer have faith in tax collection and redistribution: they claim it's for investment, but the materialisation of that "investment" is unfindable.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:16 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Living close to the USA border as I do, occasionally I get told by my cell phone provider while traveling along the Canadian side of the Niagara River, that roaming charges will be applied. I just need my phone to be on for this to happen. In the past I've called the number and gave my postal code which tells them I live close to the USA. Usually that takes care of it but recently I've been getting their notices more frequently. They no longer take my mailing address into consideration so they want me to get into the inner workings of my cellphone to figure out if I have been pinging off of American towers. Only problem, I haven't a clue how to do this and apparently the person I just talked to didn't either. I've seen forensic people do this on TV but has anybody ever done this with their own cellphone? I told her that it was easier for me to phone and squawk when the bill comes in. :|

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:15 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Zinjanthropos wrote:
Living close to the USA border as I do, occasionally I get told by my cell phone provider while traveling along the Canadian side of the Niagara River, that roaming charges will be applied. I just need my phone to be on for this to happen. In the past I've called the number and gave my postal code which tells them I live close to the USA. Usually that takes care of it but recently I've been getting their notices more frequently. They no longer take my mailing address into consideration so they want me to get into the inner workings of my cellphone to figure out if I have been pinging off of American towers. Only problem, I haven't a clue how to do this and apparently the person I just talked to didn't either. I've seen forensic people do this on TV but has anybody ever done this with their own cellphone? I told her that it was easier for me to phone and squawk when the bill comes in. :|

Depending on your phone, you should be able to go into your settings and select home network only. This generally prevents it from going into roaming. I live close to the border and frequently get connected to Canadian towers, but Canada is nice enough to send me free warning text messages about it.

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:37 am

You should not have that issue Zinny

way to get around it easy

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:34 pm

I can't access the joke thread from my work computer... It flags up as porn on our filters. What are you guys posting there?!? :lol:

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:01 am

porn? ROFLMAO

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:03 am

here ya go Demon!

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:07 am

seems the jokes tread is not working

SO!

The couple had been married for twenty years. It was a happy, wonderful marriage, except that the wife was very unfaithful. The husband finally got so tired of her unfaithfulness that he made her promise to never again be untrue to him. One day he came home and found her in bed with a midget. He cried out, ''My wife, my love, after you made all those promises, I find you in bed with another man, and a midget at that!'' She replied, ''My dearest husband, the love of my life, do you not believe me, do you not see, do you not understand? I am tapering off.''

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:52 am

babe wrote:
seems the jokes tread is not working

what's not working ?

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:58 am

I couldn't post anything on it

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:04 am

just done a test post which seemed to post OK
are there any special characters in your post, such as dollar signs ?

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:40 am

In the pub tonight the subject got around to climate change... As a bit of background I have a masters degree in atmospheric chemistry, another masters in atmospheric physics and a PhD in atmospheric chemistry. Every argument I presented that climate change is happening and is a real concern was shouted down by people who admitted they have no science education beyond high school. Whenever I presented (albeit written on beer mats) calculations to support my position I was dismissed as elitist because they couldn't follow my arguments. When I insisted the problem was with their understanding of the facts I was accused of being elitist and not taking into account the opinions of the man on the street. When I had the temerity to insist that the opinion of someone who has studied the subject for years and has written numerous research papers on the area was maybe worth more than the opinion of the man on the street I was shouted down as a brainwashed liberal stooge. At this point I lost my temper and was removed from the pub (with great hilarity, catcalls and anti-intellectual insults).

It is this type of fuckwittery that makes me despair. How can you educate the voting population if they would rather follow their own ignorance than look at the evidence that is staring them in the face!

PS I won't be frequenting that pub again!

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:04 am

Keep your head up Sir Demon!!!! Just keep educating!

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:05 am

No Marnix, it was just words.