It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:27 am

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:46 pm

"dreaded inspectors" ? as opposed to the welcome ones ? :roll:

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:12 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Its too soon! We found out last week taht my father, 73, is suffering kidney and liver failure due to lymphoma. We have been given weeks at most to spend together while he slowly deteriorates and passes. Its TOO SOON

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 9:21 pm
Original Member
Original Member

It's kinda shitty that the one thing all life has in common is that it eventually ends. I mean, seriously.... Why can't all life have "enjoyment of beer and sex" in common? What moron intelligently designed this nonsense?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:15 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I second Inow's position! That would be a much better thing than the whole mortality BS.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:16 am
Original Member
Original Member

paleoichneum wrote:
Its too soon! We found out last week taht my father, 73, is suffering kidney and liver failure due to lymphoma. We have been given weeks at most to spend together while he slowly deteriorates and passes. Its TOO SOON

I have been where you are now. Very difficult situation to accept . For you and family, my sympathies.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue May 10, 2016 4:36 am
Original Member
Original Member

Classic trope: I want more from my boss. Context clarity: Really, anything other than absence and obliviousness would be appreciated.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:00 am

Very unfamiliar with this forum, *sigh*

Good to see names I recognize though!

Aloha from the theatre whore!

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:59 am
Original Member
Original Member

Dad passes away in the night . :-( Now its just me and my sister

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:33 pm
Original Member
Original Member

My rant: Loss sucks and it sure would be nice to have something more than, "at least they had good years and aren't suffering" to say to those who find themselves in your position. Hope the mourning transitions smoothly and rapidly into a celebration of his life for you and your sis.

scoobydoo1
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 1:52 pm

paleoichneum wrote:

My condolences to you and your sister. The best way to deal with grief of a family member's death is to remember the good times you've shared while they were still around. I'd personally gave up drinking coffee after my grandma died - no one (not even me can make a blend of coffee the way she did) ever made a brew that tasted quite the same way she made it. I guess in a way, it's my way of keeping her in my memory.

Longing for coffee, but no one else's brew will ever be up to par with hers.

wegs
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon May 16, 2016 2:07 pm

paleoichneum wrote:

Sorry to hear, my thoughts are with you.

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 10:56 am

paleoichneum

I am so sorry!! *Warm hugs*

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 5:02 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Shouldn't have to replace a 5 year old refrigerator. You suck, GE! Never. Again.

astromark2014
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:13 am

Location: On a hill near a park. The Whanganui National Park, New Zealand.

Some kind thoughts expressed.. The loss of close family is always going to be hard. 'They' were a very big part of who you are and have become..
Cherish the great memories you and your Sister have.. They are the thoughts you can keep..
My own mom died violently when I was just twelve.. Yet I remember her humour still., Hell that's 52 years ago.. The good bits.. hang on to them..

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:36 pm
Original Member
Original Member

My father passed many years ago while I was in college. One thing I've come to realize since then is how fortunate I am to feel the sense of sadness and loss, both of which are only possible because I felt such joy and love while he was still here.

Yeah, it sucks, but I'd rather feel sad that he's gone because it was special while he was around than to feel nothing because our relationship was crap. Not being upset about his parting would be so much worse, IMO.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:06 am
Original Member
Original Member

Can't put this on LinkedIn. Can't put this on Facebook. Can't put this on Twitter. Can't put this on anything even remotely associated with work, but...

Are you effing kidding me?

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:35 am
Original Member
Original Member

Misguided environmentalist won government grants to place a wind turbine atop the mountain view from my window, directly over my computer screen. It faces me. It towers in plain view for all the city to see. It never spins. No, actually it's been sighted spinning about five times in as many years. I am so embarrassed of that tax-funded display of ignorance and failure. Spin dammit. Or dynamite. Would it be a terrorist act if they caught me?

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:21 pm

Quote:
iNow wrote:
Can't put this on LinkedIn. Can't put this on Facebook. Can't put this on Twitter. Can't put this on anything even remotely associated with work, but...

Are you effing kidding me?

What's up, iNow?

scoobydoo1
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:57 pm

Social evolution ought to have developed to a point where we are allowed to murder snorers in their sleep without consequence! :evil:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:29 am
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
What's up, iNow?

Nothing I'm not already managing. Disappointing boss at work stuff.

astromark2014
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:42 am

Have you come across bureaucracy at work.. rules because you can, not because you should ?

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:38 am

Quote:
iNow wrote:
Nothing I'm not already managing. Disappointing boss at work stuff.

*hugs*

I'll try and think of something to cheer you up today

astromark2014
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:35 am

Let me first qualify my view. I am 64., and interested in almost every field of science to some degree..
~ My little rant, I think effects many of those younger than I.. but thankfully, not all.
That the twenty second span of attention is like a cancer to our society. People with no passion. Little drive and apparently zero understanding.
Most if not all have in there hand constantly a device that can be a gateway to knowledge.. The smart phone..
I thought we might see a improvement of the standard of impassioned driven and informed. But, no..
Just when I thought ' Oh here we go', people are now so well equipped we must leap forward.. but no..
What we do have is a Zombi like state where no one cares a toss about any issue for more than 30 seconds.. where's passion gone.. ?

Now it might seem unrelated but,. That lad in Orlando ; What level of miss information and bad education lets you make such daft decisions..
Regardless of what you might think some entity ( god ) expects of you. Was any of what he did ever going to promote a humanist view..
How does a mind get so screwed. ?

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:47 am

Oh Where Oh Where can my little duck be
Oh Where Oh Where can he be
With his beak so long and his tail so high
Oh where can my foie gras be

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Original Member
Original Member

babe wrote:
Oh where can my foie gras be

So sick of women only wanting men for their fatty liver! :lol:

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:55 pm

I couldn't think of anything to cheer you up, iNow, sorry. :-( *hugs*

Classic trope: I want more from my tutor Context clarity: nsfw

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:57 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Appreciate the thoughts. I wasn't down, though. And as I mentioned, I'm already managing the situation. Cheers :)

janus
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:38 pm

This one is just an example of pure stupidity.
I happen to do a lot of my shopping at a store where you bag your own groceries. To aide in this, each checker has two conveyor belts, running side by side, on which they put our items as they check them. They alternate between belts with customers. At the end of each belt is a bagging area. This allows for two people to bagging their groceries at the same time.

Now here's the stupidity part. The bagging area is set up such that the two people can put their carts side by side with the basket pointing towards the belt and easily load their basket. But hardly anyone ever does this. Time and time again, the person in front of me in line puts his cart sideways so that blocks where I am supposed to put my cart. So I have to either put my cart on the other side of theirs so I have to lift my groceries over their cart or I have to put it where it gets in the way off people in the next checking line.

What really gets me about this is that it isn't even about putting their convenience over mine. Invariably, when someone does this, they put the cart with the handle side facing them. So now they either have to reach over the handle of the cart or walk around the cart to load it. (And I have seen people lean way over the handle in order to put a bag in the front of the cart). So not only are they making things harder on me, they are making it harder on themselves. I just don't get how they can fail to see this. Not only that, but they also seem to be oblivious to example. When I do get to the bagging area first and put my cart in the proper way, many of the times the next person still tries to put their cart in sideways, and it sticks out into the next checking line's bagging area.

I just don't get how people can't figure out something that is so blasted obvious.

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:02 pm

Live up in a small community off the beaten path, in fact a one way half paved road way to a National Park. Watching social media, residents are of two minds, those like me that moved up here to be away from it all,be an independent as possible, and enjoy the wildlife--- and those that buy rich vacation places after a life in a Seattle suburb. The later drive me nuts as they continuously whine about the messy yards (I've been actively replacing my "yard" or invasive grasses with "messy" native plants), and freak everytime a black bear or bobcat crossed their back yard. If you want the beauty without the risk of country living, I can sell ya a nice picture of the lake, you can hang in view of your 2" manicured yard--otherwise stop trying to turn my home into the ecological and controlled nightmare bereft of real beauty or liberty.

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:13 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Has anyone ever heard of having their home sprayed for spiders? My summer place's neighbors are complaining that there are too many spiders about, disregarding the fact that we who live along the shores of a northern Ontario lake are actually in the spider's territory, IMHO. When they approached me to join with them to hire an exterminator I said a big emphatic NO to the request. It's not that they want their homes de-spidered, it was, and get this, the spiders they are referring to are outside their dwellings. That's right, the spiders aren't even inside their cottages.

I watched a spider crawl along my deck and disappear in between a crack in the boards. A minute later its path was followed by a pepsis wasp which also went in the same crack, eventually emerging with the paralyzed spider in tow. Honestly people, you kill the spider and then what happens to the wasp, its natural predator? Once the spiders come back will the wasp? I hope they all end up with two to three times as many spiders as there were before the extermination began.

Like Lynx's rant suggests, we are the invaders. Seems very few accept this.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:16 pm

Janus - Might you consider showing your fellow shoppers how it is done? It will require some effort on your part, that you shouldn't really have to expend, but once one person learns then (hopefully) they will teach a second shopper... and so on, in a cascade. My guess is that they will be genuinely grateful for the advice. Or you could ask the store staff to print signs/instructions. Grocery shopping gets on my nerves too, sometimes. *hugs*

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:32 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Mosquitoes that get into my office and buzz around and hide from any attempts to kill them. :evil:

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:37 pm

Somewhere, there is a mosquito posting on a Science Forum about a Homo sapien that keeps trying to swat him.

janus
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:17 am

Rory wrote:
Janus - Might you consider showing your fellow shoppers how it is done? It will require some effort on your part, that you shouldn't really have to expend, but once one person learns then (hopefully) they will teach a second shopper... and so on, in a cascade. My guess is that they will be genuinely grateful for the advice. Or you could ask the store staff to print signs/instructions. Grocery shopping gets on my nerves too, sometimes. *hugs*

I don't think people would take well to being told that they are doing it wrong, And as I said, even when I have already set an example, they don't catch on. As for signs, the store did have placards showing how it should be done. People just ignored them(Kind of like the lady I once saw just outside the parking lot, who couldn't figure out why the wheels on her cart stopped working when it was plainly printed on the cart that the wheels lock up if you remove the cart from the parking lot).

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:20 am

Michael Gove is such a d^@&head - he just blunders from one government department to the next, poking his nose in where it isn't wanted, creates a shambles, and selfishly moves on to the next department to be ruined.

Now he has the temerity to stab his (formerly) close party colleague in the back. Boris Johnson may be eccentric but at least at heart he's a good man.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:33 am

Jeremy Corbyn is so embarrassing :!:

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:26 pm

Rory wrote:
Jeremy Corbyn is so embarrassing :!:

call that a rant ? you'll have to do better or I'll trash this post :twisted:

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:32 pm

I've exhausted all of my adrenaline in the Brexit thread. Sorry marnix ;)

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:44 pm

Something else to be annoyed about... why must Blair insist on wheeling himself out anytime there is a major political event, voicing his unsolicited opinion, as the zombie of politics that just won't accept nobody cares what he thinks. What, instigating terror in Iraq wasn't enough for him? :evil:

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:35 pm
Original Member
Original Member

The Bernie Bros that buy into all the Conservative Propaganda is really pissing me off lately. Then the release from the FBI yesterday is only causing them to froth at the mouth even more.

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:43 am

Falconer360 wrote:
Mosquitoes that get into my office and buzz around and hide from any attempts to kill them. :evil:

ahhhhh

they adore me and I am so allergic....what is it about me!!!

Any thoughts?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:14 am
Original Member
Original Member

Chemistry! :lol:

http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-an ... ot-others/

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:16 am

SMACKING INOW!

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:41 am

EVERY SPECIES OF THEM LOVE ME!

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:33 pm

Just went to the Vet to purchase flea treatment for my cats - I've bought the exact same treatment twice in the past. They wouldn't let me purchase any without taking my cats in to see them, for a flea check (why else would I be buying flea treatment?) - and this despite the fact that my cats have been registered with them for 2 years now. Apparently they regard it as a bad sign when you don't take your pets in to see them regularly... I'm not a fan of taking my healthy cats in for no reason?

Apart from the fact that it would cost £12 to tell me something I already know (my cats have fleas), I don't think the Vets appreciate how much hard work it is to actually take my cats in person.

(i) My cats detest it - they cannot stand being put into the carrier
(ii) I don't have my own transport so would need to take time out of my parents' morning to get them there

:evil: WHY do they do this? I think they just want the money...

janus
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:16 pm

Rory wrote:
Just went to the Vet to purchase flea treatment for my cats - I've bought the exact same treatment twice in the past. They wouldn't let me purchase any without taking my cats in to see them, for a flea check (why else would I be buying flea treatment?) - and this despite the fact that my cats have been registered with them for 2 years now. Apparently they regard it as a bad sign when you don't take your pets in to see them regularly... I'm not a fan of taking my healthy cats in for no reason?

Apart from the fact that it would cost £12 to tell me something I already know (my cats have fleas), I don't think the Vets appreciate how much hard work it is to actually take my cats in person.

(i) My cats detest it - they cannot stand being put into the carrier
(ii) I don't have my own transport so would need to take time out of my parents' morning to get them there

:evil: WHY do they do this? I think they just want the money...

I'm not sure sure it is a money issue. We had a wellness plan for our cat where we paid a set monthly fee, which meant we did not pay anything extra for office visits or vaccinations, plus a discount on other services. We had the same situation with renewing flea med or even the prescription for the special food he needed later; If he hadn't been seen in over a year, he had to be checked by a vet first. Since seeing our cat, with our paying no fee, might have resulted in their getting in one less client who paid per office visit, I don't see how it benefited them financially.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:02 pm

Maybe it's obligatory, then - but it still doesn't make sense to me. My cats are healthy (except for the fleas) - why should I take them in person?

I think this policy is possibly detrimental to cat welfare. I will try to obtain the vet med from other sources, but other pet owners may choose to rely on the less efficacious and more dangerous over-the-counter treatments e.g. Bob Martin.

:roll: Do they really believe I am fabricating my cats in order to get high on selamectin?

babe
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:33 am

I hate people, who in a chat/forum when you talk about your life get all pissy.

I mean don't ask me the freaking question if you don't want the honest answer.

Venting

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:01 pm

Just carried out psychometric testing of the National Careers Service. Turns out their EQ is -ve and their animal profile is *drum roll* WALKING EAGLE.

I had to sit there as higher education was systematically undermined, to then be told, "you might not have much skills."

You might not have much grasp of the English language, you patronising jobsworth. :twisted:

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:28 pm

Some UK universities have already started listing higher tuition fees (£9,250 per year FT) in spite of the fact that Parliament has not yet agreed the fee rise. Just proves once again that all HE institutions care about is $$$£££€€€

I'd like to see what this 'teaching excellence framework' will look like. I get the distinct impression it will have the perverse effect of pushing struggling students to 'withdraw' so that the university does not look like it has failed its students.