FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:13 am

Olinguito
Post  Post subject: Re: Rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:30 pm

This part of London (Farringdon) is really dangerous. There are no cycle lanes, just a stupid little box in front of traffic lights which drivers unfamiliar with the area may not realize is for cyclists only.

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:29 pm
Original Member
Original Member

True. Driving a rented car in London I did find the road markings confusing, but where there were bike lanes they seemed obvious enough, mainly south of the river. Here in Denver drivers sometimes get irritated by cyclists who seem to think red lights don't apply to them, but mostly we respect bike lanes and only occasionally shoot cyclists.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:51 pm

Why is so much of life like taking blood from a fcuking stone :evil:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:52 am
Original Member
Original Member

Dear Customer Service Team,

Kindly please always remember to fill in the dynamic variables of your form letter templates / canned generic responses PRIOR to sending them to already frustrated customers as I'm the one that has to smooth it over with them and save the $[INSERT DOLLAR AMOUNT HERE] of account revenue per [INSERT CONTRACT RENEWAL FREQUENCY HERE] after they launch into a justifiable tirade about our incompetence and lack of attention to detail.

Sincerely,
[INSERT SENDER NAME HERE]

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:28 pm

Ha ha ha, I once received a response to a job application that read, 'Dear [insert applicant name]'

Boy they know how to make you feel good :lol:

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:52 pm

Seriously, I would pay good money to shop at a supermarket that was able to categorically guarantee a minimum of 3 metres personal space, in all directions, between shoppers :twisted:

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:58 am

Missed an interview today due to cable line theft. One side-effect of austerity cuts: not only is infrastructure harmed directly but also indirectly by pushing the financially vulnerable to the point of desperation, to the point of being willing to engage in criminal behaviour irrespective of the disruption to others. It may seem like a trivial disruption but when you consider that probably at least a few dozen people have had their mornings messed up, that's one to several appointments with clients and important meetings gone down the pan, per commuter. The people on the receiving end, in turn, have to reschedule their own appointments and so on in a chain reaction of time-wasting and energy-wasting confusion. :twisted:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:11 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Hormones and fatigue. Making people who otherwise love each other very much shitty to one another for no reason whatsoever for millennia.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:41 pm

^That's true. I would advise rest and time apart when fatigued and cranky, but you probably already thought of that.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:16 pm

on the other hand, there's also hormone replacement therapy, where you can exchange grouchy hormones for happy ones :lol:

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:23 pm

Hm, I was watching a TED talk last night in which the speaker stated that anti-depressants increase serotonin release but that this decreases the dopamine response which may stifle biological love. So you might not always want a quick synthetic fix. #ily

Here's the talk, Why we love, why we cheat:

http://www.ted.com/talks/helen_fisher_tells_us_why_we_love_cheat

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:16 pm

The previous Labour government may have built up a financial deficit but the current Tory government have built up an even larger compassion deficit.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:13 pm

When you're in a supermarket that has decided it's a good idea to do a large proportion of its re-shelving during opening hours and the staff look at you as if you are getting in the way of their re-shelving. I'm so sorry my custom is getting in the way of your business success. :twisted:

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:27 pm

So after 5 years of austerity that has seen ordinary working class citizens pay for the mistakes of the upper echelons, David Cameron has suddenly realised that current pay levels are too low. Can we guess your motive Mr. Cameron?

Maybe you can guess how sad I'll be when you leave office.

Don't let the parliamentary doors hit you on the way out.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:54 am

So Mandelson thinks Labour's proposed mansion tax is crude - and, what, the spare bedroom tax isn't crude? Labour thankfully isn't the same animal as the centre-right version he helped to create. If he or Blair had any sense of propriety they would leave the limelight of politics instead of popping up, pretending to care about peace in the middle East, like unwelcome guests who you feel obliged to entertain. Or, better still, join the Conservative Party.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:53 pm

Being forced to listen to careers advice from people who did not succeed in their own chosen fields. I should care... why?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:58 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Is the field at which they failed the offering of career advise to others? If not, then they may have something relevant to say, especially if they learned something in that previous failure.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:08 pm

No, not the same field - but the advice essentially was to take any form of work, as they did. I.e. to drift. I don't think that's good advice - that's the kind if advice that explains why he wakes up every morning to complete work that he never intended to pursue, but which serendipitously arose.

Then again, I don't think anybody ever sets out to be an employment advisor :roll:

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:55 pm

Wish this weather would do one! Shouldn't be the case that every single walk of every single day is a battle against the elements.

shlunka
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:16 pm

Currently attend tuesday/thursday classes at college. The facility is 35 min away from my house, the first class is at 11am and the second at 6:30pm. Without enough income to justify gas expenditures, I end up staying on campus from 11 to 6:30 at a small round table, supplied with a few books and at least two drawing pads. During these first three weeks of college, only 3 people have bothered to communicate with me at all.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:46 pm

Have you tried initiating conversation with anyone, shlunka? If so, how did it go?

It can be hard, I know. When I was at University I made friends through the all-girls Hall I was living in, and that's only because they were nice enough to ask me... if they hadn't, well, I probably would have been all alone. And another friend I made by scanning the first lecture hall I entered and plonking myself down next to someone who I made eye contact with, somehow I just knew that we were 'right' for each other... she turned into my best friend. These days I only talk with my immediate family and, out of necessity, with others in the community (checkout staff, landlord, etc). That's one reason I like visiting here.

It just occurred to me that you didn't actually complain about the lack of social interaction but merely stated a fact. Perhaps you prefer to be quiet?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:11 am
Original Member
Original Member

6 hours is almost a full work day. You could try finding a part-time job to fill the time.

Back on-topic: The crappy parts of my job would largely vanish if other people would just do better at theirs.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:10 am

A job might fill the time but it wouldn't necessarily provide emotional connection.

shlunka
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:39 pm

I prefer to be quiet. Just found it odd that so few people would initiate any sort of communication. Don't really have any on-campus friends yet, but hopefully I'll get there.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:46 pm

Doesn't surprise me that people leave you alone tbh - they may well think it rude to interrupt you if you look busy with study. From personal experience, it is rare that strangers spontaneously initiate conversation with me, and I am usually too reserved to initiate conversation with a stranger, even if I wanted to. You have probably already considered this, but clubs/groups/societies are a good way to make new friends.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:30 pm
Original Member
Original Member

shlunka wrote:
Just found it odd that so few people would initiate any sort of communication.

Perhaps try being more proactive. Follow your own advice. Maybe you could be the one to start initiating communications? You know... Be the change you wish to see in the world, and all that jazz. :)

shlunka
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:10 pm

iNow wrote:
shlunka wrote:
Just found it odd that so few people would initiate any sort of communication.

Perhaps try being more proactive. Follow your own advice. Maybe you could be the one to start initiating communications? You know... Be the change you wish to see in the world, and all that jazz. :)
Is the joke intentional to include "Jazz" with a reference to a world change? :) I actually talked to someone today (passively starting a conversation by answering a question).

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:24 pm

The Tories seem to think that if they say "competence on this side of the House, chaos on the other" enough times then the electorate will buy it :roll: Idiots

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:32 pm
Original Member
Original Member

"If you repeat a lie often enough, people will believe it, and you will even come to believe it yourself."

~ Joseph Goebbels, Adolf Hitler's Propaganda Minister in Nazi Germany known for his zealous and energetic oratory and virulent anti-Semitism

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:13 pm

One American hostage is killed, the media repeat the emotional turmoil of her relatives on a loop; hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians die, the media ignores the emotional turmoil of their families.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:38 pm

A stranger just walked up to my parents' property while I was in, stared through the window, knocked, rang the doorbell and then huffed, "don't answer the door then". He then proceeded to stand on the lawn, staring again through the window and deriding me for not opeining the door. WTF! Is nobody entitled to privacy anymore? In general I don't answer the door to strangers because (i) I have no way of knowing whether or not they're dangerous and/or malevolent; and, (ii) more often than not they're only trying to sell junk anyway. I don't remember signing up to opening my property (or, worse, my parents' property) - so why do they feel so entitled? :evil:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:24 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Because you don't live in Texas where we can legally shoot people for doing such things. 8-)

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:44 pm

Reason enough to move to Texas :P

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:44 am
Original Member
Original Member

Not sure at this point whether it's feudal, futile, or other, but it seems to me that our under-educated, under-interested, and under-engaged populace has with increasing frequency and decreasing opposition allowed our legislators and leaders to be iniquitously installed as little more than indentured servants of the fortunate few whose core motivations run contrary to the wellbeing of the misfortunate myriad many.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:47 pm

Amen to that, iNow - it is the same here in the UK and, I suspect, throughout Europe. Probably the reason why individual citizens do not put up a fight is because they realise that as lone individuals they are pretty much powerless against a state machine that could crush them instantly. Power requires the kind of organisation and soludarity that individual citizens feel unable to deliver.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:49 pm

Why does anybody care about the Oscars?

Stop clogging up the News space already :roll:

Futilitist
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:38 am

I wish I could make friends here, but iNow won't let me. :cry:

---Futilitist :ugeek:

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:32 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I wish there were a ton of new members here. We could use some diversity here.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:33 pm

Visit a different Forum? The .com site has 100s of members

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:40 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
Visit a different Forum? The .com site has 100s of members

Oh I'm quite active on the .com site as well. I just would like to see this site get more traffic and not be so sleepy most of the time. Not to mention, we would see more diverse topics being discussed here.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:39 pm

TV Licencing :twisted: Moved into my current property less than a month ago, the postbox contained several letters intended for the previous tenant but addressed to the 'current occupier' - despite the flat having remained dormant for many months before I moved in. And then a letter lands for me stating 'what to expect in court'. Not only do I have to pay for a licence I cannot afford in order to watch substandard television programmes but I apparently have to do that on a backdrop of a relentessly aggressive company threatening me inappropriately with legal action. I should write them back 'what to expect when I twirl your balls off with tweezers' :twisted: Assholes

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:22 pm

we had a similar aggressive letter from Southwark London Borough
the reason ? my son had been renting a house with 2 other students near Denmark Hill, but somehow forgotten to send in proof that hey were students and hence exempt from council tax

not only did it take them 2 years to realise that something was amiss, but the letter, which was sent second class, gave us 7 days (- 3 when the letter was underway) to reply - leaving us friday, saturday, sunday and monday to do something about it

thank god for emails and scanning equipment (and phones, obviously)
but really, the first thing you hear something is wrong you get 2 working days to respond before they send the bayliffs after you ?

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:53 pm

I don't know how much of it is just bluff - the previous tenant at this place clearly got away scot free except for receiving a load of threatening letters. Also from Googling it seems that the 'S Simms' listed as the Enforcement Manager for my local region is also the dedicated Enforcement Manager of other regions - which makes me wonder if that person actually has any local allegiance and authority or is merely a symbolic figurehead.

It's annoying that they don't fact-check before posting: for six months or so they were posting letters to an unoccupied flat! And the threat of court was not exactly the welcome message I was anticipating. That, and a pre-emptive bill from United Utilities. :roll:

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:52 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I have only have a vague idea of how TV licensing works over in the UK. Regardless it sounds like a a massive pain in the ass. I'll stick to my satellite TV (Dish Network).

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:59 pm

i don't have anything in principle against the licence fee - it gives the BBC the relative freedom to venture into areas that normal commercial TV stations would not touch

i find it rather strange that the most vocal people are those who think an annual fee of less than £150 is exorbitant but don't mind paying a monthly fee of £70 to Sky for their all-in package

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:29 pm

Well, Sky does have a lot more variety and a lot more channels...

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:18 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Children who don't feel well and have fevers don't sleep well. When children don't sleep well, daddies don't sleep well. When daddies don't sleep well, work is way harder than it should be and exhaustion sets in. When exhaustion sets in, sleep is needed, but sleep keeps getting interrupted by children who don't feel well and have fevers. The cycle repeats. Oh... the humanity!!

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:18 pm

Babysitter or kind auntie or uncle?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:30 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Unlikely to be an option at 3am. I'm fine, though. Coffee is my friend.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: rant corner  |  Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:02 am

Not sure if you should even try to cure the fever since it will aid in eliminating pathogens.