FAQ
It is currently Thu Mar 23, 2017 4:20 pm

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Music to Calm the Mind  |  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:47 pm

I came across Andy McKee by accident. I was looking to calm down unruly inner city classes by playing this music as they entered the room and saying to each student: 'Just concentrate on the music'. As they entered into the classroom it created a calm atmosphere. However, I also chilled out on this music and I find that McKee is a master of his instrument and so thoroughly acquainted with it that it seems more of a duet than a solo instrument. Enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4Igb5Yors4&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8t0mKCaz5I&feature=related[/youtube]

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Music to Calm the Mind  |  Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:28 pm

tbh, i prefer this

too nice and tidy gets on my nerves after a while

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: Music to Calm the Mind  |  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:11 am
Original Member
Original Member

Clapton is (was) great. But right now I'm enjoying this. The lyrics make no sense but I like it anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6RtRB5U ... re=related

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Music to Calm the Mind - Andy McKee  |  Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:32 am

jimmy, is it ok if i change the title of the thread to "Music to Calm the Mind" ? makes it more generic, and that way everyone can chip in, whether they know Andy McKee or not

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Re: Music to Calm the Mind - Andy McKee  |  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:59 pm

marnixR wrote:
jimmy, is it ok if i change the title of the thread to "Music to Calm the Mind" ? makes it more generic, and that way everyone can chip in, whether they know Andy McKee or not

Definitely! Let's make it more inclusive. I love the other examples.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Music to Calm the Mind  |  Posted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 10:29 pm
Original Member
Original Member

jimmydasaint wrote:
marnixR wrote:

Definitely! Let's make it more inclusive. I love the other examples.

Done.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Music to Calm the Mind  |  Posted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:35 pm

don't know about you, but this sooths my mind

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: Music to Calm the Mind  |  Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:22 am
Original Member
Original Member

Well, it's not a specific artist but a local terrestrial radio station. KMHD broadcasting from Mt Hood Community College in Gresham Or.
It's a REAL Jazz station, that means no stupid Kenny GeeWhiz BS crap.
Having this available on a standard radio dial has probably saved my life, or at least more than a few days of it.

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: Music to Calm the Mind  |  Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:40 am

http://www.classicfm.co.uk/

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Re: Music to Calm the Mind  |  Posted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:45 am

Curiously, after a hard day at work, I like listening to soft rock/blues or metal as a form of catharsis in transition from heavy rock to lighter music. For example, to start with:

then

finishing with:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsTdFSYpKSM&feature=related[/youtube] and finally:

All from an underestimated great British band featuring excellent vocals, lyrics, lead guitar and superb back up musicians.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Music to Calm the Mind  |  Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:32 pm

it's not really a video, but "Let's eat" by Nick Lowe and Rockpile (here called "Last Chicken In The Shop" for whatever reason) is one of those hidden gems that pulls at my heartstrings - it's from "Live Stiffs", a live compilation album from Stiff Records

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Re: Music to Calm the Mind  |  Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:59 pm

Nice choice marnixR, although it would have me up and dancing rather than calming me. However, I also nominate this for a calm and haunting song:

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: Music to Calm the Mind  |  Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:46 pm

I'm really into Le Miserere d'Allegri:

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=eh31j6L95Ok[/youtube]

It is both calming and bitter-sweet melancholy.

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Re: Music to Calm the Mind  |  Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:22 am

Nice choices trmidity. Love the music. I rated Chopin as a master of one instrument. I watched some crappy film about his life which had his girlfriend George Sand (the French authoress and poetess - I believe) saying the Hollywood-inspired words: 'The music of God played by the hands of a mortal'. This is an example:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Music to Calm the Mind  |  Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 2:24 pm
Original Member
Original Member

How about The Civil Wars...

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: Music to Calm the Mind  |  Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:27 pm

Verdi's Requiem

jimmydasaint
Post  Post subject: Re: Music to Calm the Mind  |  Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:45 pm

Stunning! But I prefer Handel's 'Water Music' (written for King George I) or 'The Lark Ascending' by Vaughan Williams, based on a prose poem by George Meredith, IIRC. Or, at night, some gentle Chopin.

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: Music to Calm the Mind  |  Posted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:00 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I've often found the work of this great gentleman to be "calming";

Obviously
Post  Post subject: Re: Music to Calm the Mind  |  Posted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:53 am
Original Member
Original Member

No one has posted Erik Satie nor Claude Debussy? What a shame!

Enjoy. ;)

Does that apply to insane people too?

Crimson Sunbird
Post  Post subject: Re: Music to calm the mind  |  Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:38 pm

I’m calming my mind right now with the overture to the overture to Oberon by Carl Maria von Weber, to which I’m listening on the radio.

Robittybob1
Post  Post subject: Re: Music to Calm the Mind  |  Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:22 am

Bob Dylan's birthday, so this is dedicated to Bob Dylan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfHLYIms97A

Just the one playing at the moment.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Music to Calm the Mind  |  Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:45 pm
Original Member
Original Member