FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:35 am

John T. Scopes
Post  Post subject: Electromagnetic Weapons  |  Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:27 pm

This raises the age-old question about the morality of warfare, or what are any army's ultimate military objectives? Obviously the point is to be able to effectively control a defined piece of territory, but how is that to be achieved? The enemy must be removed as a force capable of challenging your control, but what does that actually entail? Is disabling most of an enemy's military hardware effective enough?

Here's an article from The Economist:

http://www.economist.com/node/21532245

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Electromagnetic Weapons  |  Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:15 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I think the objective of any mission will vary, and hence so too will the most appropriate means to effectuate those objectives. The balance between "enough force to achieve objectives" and "respect for fellow humans" is a tight one to find in many arenas (a clash between overwhelming dominance and proportional response), which is I think part of your underlying point/question?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

15uliane
Post  Post subject: Re: Electromagnetic Weapons  |  Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:01 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I don't know how well that would work on a few thousand men with manual assault rifles.

I think the same question comes up when war is just drone on drone?

DrRocket
Post  Post subject: Re: Electromagnetic Weapons  |  Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:40 am
Original Member
Original Member

John T. Scopes wrote:
This raises the age-old question about the morality of warfare, or what are any army's ultimate military objectives? Obviously the point is to be able to effectively control a defined piece of territory, but how is that to be achieved? The enemy must be removed as a force capable of challenging your control, but what does that actually entail? Is disabling most of an enemy's military hardware effective enough?

Here's an article from The Economist:

http://www.economist.com/node/21532245

You need a better source.

Yes, electromagnetic "weapons" have been used. They have been used effectively in the middle east to disable IEDs. But IEDs typically have antenna and are crudely designed. A high amplitude electromagnetic field will fry them. Equipment that has been designed to be hard against high level electromagnetic fields are in a different category, and design specifications typically require hardening.

It is not very hard to design weapon systems that are quite hard against even very high amplitude EMP environments. A little bit of shielding goes a long way. I once inadvertently subjected a very inexpensive calculator (which had a metal body) to a full threat level HEMP. It worked just fine afterwards. Source region EMP is much more difficult to counter, but if you are that close to a nuclear blast you probably have other problems unless you are in a hardened silo.

The key to hardening is making the decision to provide protection. Completely soft commercial electronics are vulnerable. But with a modicum of engineering, military systems can be quite well protected. Even a little thought can show means of making soft systems harder.

x(x-y)
Post  Post subject: Re: Electromagnetic Weapons  |  Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:59 am
Original Member
Original Member

DrRocket wrote:
I once inadvertently subjected a very inexpensive calculator (which had a metal body) to a full threat level HEMP.

I sure would like to know how you did this inadvertently 0_o

GiantEvil
Post  Post subject: Re: Electromagnetic Weapons  |  Posted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:57 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I always thought these were cool; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EA-6B_Prowler

DrRocket
Post  Post subject: Re: Electromagnetic Weapons  |  Posted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:37 pm
Original Member
Original Member

x(x-y) wrote:
DrRocket wrote:
I once inadvertently subjected a very inexpensive calculator (which had a metal body) to a full threat level HEMP.

I sure would like to know how you did this inadvertently 0_o

I forgot that it was in my pocket during a full-scale threat-level test.