FAQ
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:51 am

marnixR
Post  Post subject: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:54 am

i'm sure i'm not the only one who is convinced that certain things are true, but have no clear-cut evidence to prove it - you could almost say that it is a working hypothesis where the work of testing the hypothesis hasn't been made yet (and where it may not be all that clear how it would be tested)

as an example, here's one of mine :

i've always been fascinated by the fact that the timing of the arising of bipedalism in hominids may well coincide with that of the Messinian salinity crisis

could this have been the environmental trigger that made bipedalism an advantageous trait ?

i also should mention that i'm a great believer in Stephen J Gould's concept of exaptation, where traits evolve for one reason (or maybe not even for any particular reason) and then get used in a different adaptive framework by natural selection - using that line of reasoning my thinking is that bipedalism already existed in a (semi-)forested environment, but became favoured as an advantageous trait as the result of an environmental change

hence my predictions are that bipedal hominids will be found in a fully forested environment (not such a big leap since Ardipithecus was already inhabiting a partly forested environment), that clear environmental changes will be recorded in the period 5.96 - 5.33Ma in the environment where those hominids are found, and that these changes would make a bipedal stance advantageous over knuckle walking

however, since this would require the right type of fossils being found at the right time in the geological column somewhere in the northern half of africa, i could be in for a long wait, and if my conjecture is wrong then the long wait would be a very long one

Hermit
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:36 am
Original Member
Original Member

You would need a lot more data than that to convince me. Bipedalism evolved in Africa, and may well have evolved 1000 kms or more away from the Mediterranean. Even the correlation is pretty damn weak, since the date by which bipedalism evolved has such a large set of error bars.

My own personal theory is that bipedalism is a by product of tool use. We know that the rise of humanity 'coincides' with the rise in use of tools and weapons. If a population of apes learned to make good use of tools, then there is an obvious advantage to being able to carry a favoured tool or weapon, and make full use of it. But that ties up a fore limb, which cannot be used in quadrupedal locomotion. Upright stance and bipedal locomotion would clearly be an advantage, allowing a tool or weapon to be carried, and allowing it to be wielded with much greater effect.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:12 am

the only problem with that statement is that it can't be proved and is unlikely to ever to be proved : a bipedal stance definitely precedes stone tools, and tools from other materials are very unlikely to make into the fossil record after more than a few 100,000 years

whereas my conviction comes from recognising a pattern, which, given the appropriate finds in the fossil record, might one day be (dis)proved

15uliane
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:28 pm
Original Member
Original Member

nervous tissue is a high temp superconductor, the brain communicates in binary and is a supercomputer. Totally ridiculous, i know. :)

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:14 pm

is this something you're convinced of in the face of evidence that appears to contradict these notions ?

Hermit
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:05 pm
Original Member
Original Member

There are a lot of things I am convinced of that cannot be proved, starting with own existence. How do you know I am not a computer glitch?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:03 am

if you were then you obviously have passed the Turing test

bunbury
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:38 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Quote:
convinced that certain things are true, but have no clear-cut evidence to prove it

There is a Republican politician somewhere who is smarter than the six (or so) who are competing for the party's nomination.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:38 am
Original Member
Original Member

I'm convinced my boss is probably not really an idiot, but I'll be damned if I can find any evidence to prove it.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

15uliane
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:41 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Quote:
is this something you're convinced of in the face of evidence that appears to contradict these notions ?

I'm not very educated on neuroscience, so I don't have any contrary evidence. I guess I'm not really convinced of it because I know their's evidence out there that contradicts that belief. It's more a fantasy.

Hermit
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:00 pm
Original Member
Original Member

15uliane wrote:
I'm not very educated on neuroscience, so I don't have any contrary evidence. I guess I'm not really convinced of it because I know their's evidence out there that contradicts that belief. It's more a fantasy.

You are entitled to have your fantasies. I have a very enjoyable one that involves Angelina Jolie .....

However, if you aspire to be a good rational thinker, it is also a good idea to bone up at least a little on this subject. There is plenty of easy to read literature covering the basics of this topic.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:24 am
Original Member
Original Member

Hermit wrote:
There is plenty of easy to read literature covering the basics of this topic.

Like this: http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/ap.html

It's an interesting idea, though.

I'm convinced that engineers are more likely to deny global warming and evolution than physicists, but I cannot prove it.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

mississippichem
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:44 pm

iNow wrote:
I'm convinced that engineers are more likely to deny global warming and evolution than physicists, but I cannot prove it.

We once had an epic creationist troll on SFN that claimed to be a chemical engineer. I honestly don't think he would've been much of an engineer or chemist though as his understanding of entropy and the 2nd law of thermodynamics was horrendous.

I wouldn't want him designing my pilot plant since he doesn't understand Carnot cycles! That's for sure.

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:13 am
Original Member
Original Member

Sounds a bit like the king of all creationist trolls on the parent site, with the ironic name "archaeologist". Man, was I glad when he got banned.

Difficult to find something I'm convinced of, but can't prove. Oh, there is no god as described by the major religions, but I am quite convinced that beings exist somewhere that would pass for gods to a great many of us.

Not convinced of it, but I have a strong suspicion that all of physics will one day be describable through fluid dynamics and the topological constructs the small set of rules governing the fluid are capable of.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:25 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'm pretty certain he means Cypress, who was also banned from TSF.com.

KALSTER wrote:
Difficult to find something I'm convinced of, but can't prove. Oh, there is no god as described by the major religions, but I am quite convinced that beings exist somewhere that would pass for gods to a great many of us.

I am convinced that god does not exist, but I can't prove it.

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:04 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Quote:
I'm pretty certain he means Cypress, who was also banned from TSF.com.
Oh god, even the mention of his name makes me want to flee in the opposite direction. :x

Quote:
I am convinced that god does not exist, but I can't prove it.
That's what I started out to say and then my mind wandered. Mmmm eggs on toast...

SkinWalker
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:49 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I think it was I who terminated both of their accounts. Cypress was an interesting individual. I don't think he believed some or perhaps most of what he argued here. I'm pretty sure he was a chemical engineer and I think I even figured out his real name once when I was trying to decide if he was a sock-puppet. He had this tendency to argue points then deflect and obfuscate with a dozen tangents.

Archaeologist pissed me off right away just for chosing the name 'archaeologist.' He was getting so abused for his out-right crazy-ness that I think I terminated his account more to protect him than us! :-)

I believe I love my wife. But I can't prove it.

x(x-y)
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:30 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I am convinced that Colonel Gaddafi was killed purposely and unlawfully in order to prevent him from telling the secrets of dirty deals with the west (particularly Blair, Bush, Sarkozy, Berlusconi and even Obama) at the Hague, but I cannot prove it. [i.e. to prevent him from "spilling the beans", it think it will be very telling if Saif Al Islam is killed too...]

KALSTER
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:00 am
Original Member
Original Member

x(x-y) wrote:
I am convinced that Colonel Gaddafi was killed purposely and unlawfully in order to prevent him from telling the secrets of dirty deals with the west (particularly Blair, Bush, Sarkozy, Berlusconi and even Obama) at the Hague, but I cannot prove it. [i.e. to prevent him from "spilling the beans", it think it will be very telling if Saif Al Islam is killed too...]
I am convinced that he was killed, because there is no clear good vs evil dynamic in the human condition. With the case of Lybia for instance, you have a bad side and a slightly less bad side. I am pretty sure was simply killed because he was the principle enemy of the rebels.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:32 pm

KALSTER wrote:
I am pretty sure was simply killed because he was the principle enemy of the rebels.

but just like 95% of all opinion, you can't PROVE that - oh, that was the whole point of this thread, wasn't it ? ;p

MeteorWayne
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:05 am
Original Member
Original Member

bunbury wrote:
Quote:
convinced that certain things are true, but have no clear-cut evidence to prove it

There is a Republican politician somewhere who is smarter than the six (or so) who are competing for the party's nomination.

I know it's late, but ROFLPIMP!!!!

:lol: :) :lol: :oops:

MeteorWayne
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 4:08 am
Original Member
Original Member

SkinWalker wrote:
I think it was I who terminated both of their accounts. Cypress was an interesting individual. I don't think he believed some or perhaps most of what he argued here. I'm pretty sure he was a chemical engineer and I think I even figured out his real name once when I was trying to decide if he was a sock-puppet. He had this tendency to argue points then deflect and obfuscate with a dozen tangents.

Archaeologist pissed me off right away just for chosing the name 'archaeologist.' He was getting so abused for his out-right crazy-ness that I think I terminated his account more to protect him than us! :-)

Being a mod is a tough life, been there, done that. Donating free time to herd cats. Just wanted to let you know it's apprecated

MW

x(x-y)
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:50 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I am convinced that David Cameron's face becomes fatter with every lie he tells, but, unfortunately, I cannot prove it.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:03 pm

you could at least try to establish a correlation, even if that is no proof of causality :twisted:

x(x-y)
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:03 pm
Original Member
Original Member

:|

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:44 pm

Quote:

You could take blood serum samples before and after seeing your wife and assay for oxytocin and vasopressin concentrations. Repeat until the n numbers have sufficient power, and perform a paired t-test.

tridimity
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:49 pm

I am convinced that there is an ultimate reality that exists independent of our senses, but i cannot prove it.

i.e. if a tree falls in a wood and there is no-one to hear it, it makes a noise

Moontanman
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:47 pm

I am convinced that at least some UFOs are alien space craft and I have a falsifiable hypothesis concerning this....

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:21 pm
Original Member
Original Member

MOD NOTE: Discussion on the point above about aliens has been split into its own thread. post12610.html#p12610

Moontanman
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:20 pm

marnixR wrote:
i'm sure i'm not the only one who is convinced that certain things are true, but have no clear-cut evidence to prove it - you could almost say that it is a working hypothesis where the work of testing the hypothesis hasn't been made yet (and where it may not be all that clear how it would be tested)

as an example, here's one of mine :

i've always been fascinated by the fact that the timing of the arising of bipedalism in hominids may well coincide with that of the Messinian salinity crisis

could this have been the environmental trigger that made bipedalism an advantageous trait ?

i also should mention that i'm a great believer in Stephen J Gould's concept of exaptation, where traits evolve for one reason (or maybe not even for any particular reason) and then get used in a different adaptive framework by natural selection - using that line of reasoning my thinking is that bipedalism already existed in a (semi-)forested environment, but became favoured as an advantageous trait as the result of an environmental change

hence my predictions are that bipedal hominids will be found in a fully forested environment (not such a big leap since Ardipithecus was already inhabiting a partly forested environment), that clear environmental changes will be recorded in the period 5.96 - 5.33Ma in the environment where those hominids are found, and that these changes would make a bipedal stance advantageous over knuckle walking

however, since this would require the right type of fossils being found at the right time in the geological column somewhere in the northern half of africa, i could be in for a long wait, and if my conjecture is wrong then the long wait would be a very long one

Gibbons, when traveling on the ground, are bipedal...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibbon

Quote:
Also called the lesser apes, gibbons differ from great apes (chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans and humans) in being smaller, exhibiting low sexual dimorphism, in not making nests, and in certain anatomical details in which they superficially more closely resemble monkeys than great apes do. But like all apes, gibbons evolved to become tailless. Gibbons also display pair-bonding, unlike most of the great apes. Gibbons are masters of their primary mode of locomotion, brachiation, swinging from branch to branch for distances of up to 15 m (50 ft), at speeds as high as 55 km/h (34 mph). They can also make leaps of up to 8 m (26 ft), and walk bipedally with their arms raised for balance. They are the fastest and most agile of all tree-dwelling, non-flying mammals.

No ape other than humans walk bipedally as their natural gait...

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:50 am
Original Member
Original Member

I'm convinced of this, but cannot prove it:

wegs
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:37 am

I'm convinced that ghosts exist, but I can't prove it. Why am I convinced then? It just seems unlikely that all of the subjective experiences of people who have ''witnessed'' the paranormal, or have explored it, could be wrong. Don't judge me, this thread asked for something, so I provided it. :oops: :mrgreen:

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:46 am
Original Member
Original Member

Lol. I'm convinced that the addition of children to a household decrease the frequency of sex among the parents, but cannot prove it.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:47 am
Original Member
Original Member

I'm convinced that consumption of different types of alcohol leads to different types of drunkeness despite the same underlying chemistry being at play, but I cannot prove it.

wegs
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:49 am

iNow wrote:
I'm convinced that consumption of different types of alcohol leads to different types of drunkeness despite the same underlying chemistry being at play, but I cannot prove it.

I think that can be proven lol :lol:

Snafuperman
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 11:34 pm

iNow wrote:

I agree! Tequila makes for a crazy drunk.

plusminusgravity
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:45 pm

I'm convinced that people are probably being cloned and having research done on them, but I can't find any evidence to prove it.

Just seems like they'd clone people without adding a certain aspect to their brain where they can remember or cognitively understand what's going on. :idea:

Olinguito
Post  Post subject:   |  Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:18 pm

I'm convinced the Universe is a 3-dimensional manifold embedded in 4-dimensional hyperspace.

Mathematically, a manifold is a space embedded in the space of the next higher dimension in which every point is locally "flat". For example: the surface of the sphere is a 2-dimensional manifold (embedded in 3 dimensions). Close up, the surface appears "flat". The technical definition is this: An n-dimensional (real) manifold is a topological subspace $ \displaystyle M^n$ of $ \displaystyle \mathbb R^{n+1}$ such that given any point x in $ \displaystyle M^n$ there exists a real number $ \displaystyle \delta_x>0$ (depending on x) such that the open ball $ \displaystyle B_{\delta_x}(x) = \{y\in M^n:|x-y|<\delta_x\}$ is homeomorphic to $ \displaystyle \mathbb R^n$.

Let us use the surface of the sphere as an analogy. As I've said, the surface looks flat over a small area – so much so that to a flatlander living in that area, the surface appears to be an infinite 2D plane extending boundlessly in all directions. But the surface is not boundless: it is finite. In the same way, the Universe may appear boundless on a small scale – we think we see space as infinitely stretchable in every direction we look – but the Universe (so I believe) is finite in the way the surface of a sphere is finite.

Lines that are "straight" on the surface of a sphere are actually curved in the 3D space the surface is embedded in; they're arcs of great circles. Travelling on a straight line on the surface means moving along the circumference of a great circle such as the equator. If you keep travelling along this "straight" line, you will eventually end up where you started from. Indeed, no matter how you move on the surface, you can never escape from it. In the same way, I'm convinced that straight lines in the Universe are actually curved in the 4D hyperspace in which I believe the Universe to be embedded. If, starting at a point in the Universe, we could keep travelling on and on in a straight line, we would eventually end up where we started! This is because lines that are straight in 3D are actually curved in 4D hyperspace. And no matter how we move around in the Universe, we will never escape from it.

Back to the sphere analogy. If the radius of the sphere increases, the surface area also increases: the world of the flatlander expands. This, I believe, is also why our 3D Universe is expanding: because the hyper-radius of 4D hyperspace is increasing. The Big Bang was the moment at which this hyper-radius was zero.

And this is my metaphysical theory of the Universe – which I will never be able to prove. I don't expect anyone to agree with me anyway (or even understand what I'm saying in the first place).

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:29 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I followed (most of it) and suspect it aligns with a lot of other thinking in cosmology right now. :)

anticorncob28
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:53 am

My list:
*pi, tau (=2pi), e, sqrt(593) + ln(15.4), and all other such ordinary irrational numbers contain every finite string of digits in every integer base. Not only that but with equal frequency, hence they are normal. The only irrational numbers we conceive that are not normal are those easily constructed against it, such as Liouville's constant.
*Aliens exist.
*The Euler-Mascheroni constant is irrational.
*The universe is finite.

That last one is of great interest to me. I'd love to know the size of the universe, and I would be disappointed to find out that it's infinitely large. I've seen finite estimates of 250, 10^23, and 10^10^10^122 times bigger than the observable universe. I hope the 250 times bigger one is right (the smaller, the better).

shlunka
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:23 pm

anticorncob28 wrote:
My list:
*pi, tau (=2pi), e, sqrt(593) + ln(15.4), and all other such ordinary irrational numbers contain every finite string of digits in every integer base. Not only that but with equal frequency, hence they are normal. The only irrational numbers we conceive that are not normal are those easily constructed against it, such as Liouville's constant.
*Aliens exist.
*The Euler-Mascheroni constant I s irrational.
*The universe is finite.

That last one is of great interest to me. I'd love to know the size of the universe, and I would be disappointed to find out that it's infinitely large. I've seen finite estimates of 250, 10^23, and 10^10^10^122 times bigger than the observable universe. I hope the 250 times bigger one is right (the smaller, the better).
One must whistle while thinking about this. Whistle to the notes of a number in decimal notation being converted into a base in its expanded version via repeated division. Convert the signs (b, c,n,q) into notes and the numbers into the duration of notes.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:01 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'm convinced that Ken Ham has a higher percentage of Neanderthal DNA than the average person, but I can't prove it.

azazello666
Post  Post subject: Re: things you're convinced of but can't prove  |  Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:11 pm

I´m convinced that we are living in a simulated reality. And I think there are lots of proof for that (but I don´t think everyone agrees)
Here I have collected all the proof and indication of that we are living in a simulated reality.
Enjoy :-)

LINK REMOVED