FAQ
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:19 pm

marnixR
Post  Post subject: building a bridge in Avignon  |  Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:07 pm

a few months ago i was in Avignon (just passing through) where i read the story of the (many times rebuilt but now unfinished) bridge across the river Rhône, which, it appears, was due to a monk or hermit who managed to convince the local folk of the area of the correct position for the bridge

now i couldn't help but have this image in my head, of this man trying to convince the people in vain that his proposed site was the correct one, and being at the end of his tether grasps for the argument to end all arguments : "look, stop arguing, god told me that the bridge should go here !"

and the good folk's response ? "now why didn't you say so in the first place? we wouldn't dare to doubt god's word!"

make sense ?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: building a bridge in Avignon  |  Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:58 am
Original Member
Original Member

Sadly, yes. It reminds me of how shaman became so powerful across our ancestral past.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: building a bridge in Avignon  |  Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:46 am

Is the oldest profession actually just doing something for someone that they do not want to do on their own?

(EG "I will have a word for you")

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: building a bridge in Avignon  |  Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:39 pm

I thought the oldest profession was prostitution, not priesthood ?

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: building a bridge in Avignon  |  Posted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:36 pm

marnixR wrote:
I thought the oldest profession was prostitution, not priesthood ?

I know. That is why I suggested it might have been something different. But prostitutes might have started off by suggesting they could "ease the load" :)

Do we find "professions" in the animal kingdom? (the bees seem to be full of "trade guilds" )

Even queens could be said to be following a (hereditary) profession.