FAQ
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:25 pm

iNow
Post  Post subject: 2017 Solar Eclipse  |  Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:11 am
Original Member
Original Member

Curious about constraints. How far away would the upcoming eclipse need to be before you decided NOT to go see it?

All other comments are welcome, too. Thoughts, ideas, memories?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse  |  Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:10 am

for a full solar eclipse I'd be willing to travel the length of Great Britain - if it required a sea crossing that's probably the limit of what I would do, unless it happened to fit in with any holiday plans I might have made

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse  |  Posted: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:13 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'm firmly in the .9 magnitude and don't plan on travelling to the full zone. Mainly because I will have just gotten home from vacation the day before and I don't feel like taking another nine hour drive.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse  |  Posted: Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:18 am
Original Member
Original Member

Our drive to reach totality is about 2 hours. No big deal normally, but significantly harder while nursing an 8 week old with 4 year old in tow. Right now, trips to the grocery store are hard.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

anticorncob28
Post  Post subject: Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse  |  Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:40 am

I'll be at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln in Lincoln, Nebraska. I won't be in the completely dark region but it will be fairly close.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse  |  Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:06 pm
Original Member
Original Member

We're going to be just north of Kansas City. Now, we just hope the weather holds out. I'm getting excited!

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse  |  Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:20 pm

having seen one totality in Cornwall in 1999, i can assure you that near-totality doesn't compare with totality
if you can manage the additional miles, do so - it will be worth it !

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse  |  Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:27 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I wish I could justify the 18 hour round trip of driving to go see the eclipse at totality. But I have to work the next day so that isn't going to happen.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse  |  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:11 am
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
having seen one totality in Cornwall in 1999, i can assure you that near-totality doesn't compare with totality
if you can manage the additional miles, do so - it will be worth it !

That's the plan for us. Dead center-line. 2min 39sec of totality if skies are clear.

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse  |  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:51 am
Original Member
Original Member

I'm content to watch the 90% from where I am, and scar my retinas with the best of them.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse  |  Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:06 am
Original Member
Original Member

We start the drive toward totality in the morning. Wish us luck and for clear skies!

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse  |  Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Best of luck! May the eclipse gods be with you!

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse  |  Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:02 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I fear they may know of my atheism. Mostly cloudy and 50% chance of thunderstorms forecasted. Whomp whomp.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse  |  Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:37 am
Original Member
Original Member

I wonder what my four year old will remember when asked in the future about today's eclipse.

It rained hard here and thunderstormed all night. 50% chance of storms and mostly cloudy forecasted at our closest totality location, the target we'd set for ourselves, normally a 2 hour drive away.

Showered, woke my wife, my 4 year old, and 12 week old. Brewed some coffee, grabbed some grub, loaded the cooler with snacks and sammies, and hit the highway, car seats and stroller ready to roll.

Super dark start, on and off storms the entire way, some of the heaviest rain I'd ever driven in, actually. Took nearly 4 hours to get there with no stops.

"Come on, wind... I can see clear sky in the distance... just blow off the clouds a little... just for a few minutes... that's all we need," my mantra as I white knuckled the steering wheel down the highway through the torrent with my most precious cargo in tow.

Rolled in about 15 minutes before first contact. Rain had stopped. Clouds had thinned somewhat and brief openings were becoming more common, panels of light occasionally allowed passage, but still mostly ominous all around us.

Put on our glasses and could see the occlusion each time the clouds cleared. "There's the sun, daddy! And the moon... I see it!!" "Yes, over there! I see it, too!!"

Coverage grew as the "dragon ate the sun" for the next hour plus. The clouds came then cleared as if shimmying to a jazz piece from Gershwin and for ephemeral moments we could see the moons coverage increasing...5%...20%...60%...80%...

"Well, hot damn and holy shit," I thought. "This might just happen!"

The storm clouds were gathering, though. Ferociously charging our way like a bull toward the matadors red silk. It'd be like threading a needle, but we had a chance to see totality if they went slowly enough. Given their velocity, volume, and dense towering shape though, it was a small chance.

Insects all around us buzzed, birds changed to their evening songs, the wind picked up, the temperature dropped. There was a sunset with spectacular reds, oranges, and other colors clearly visible on every horizon in every direction.

Then, it became significantly darker, and quickly, too! Hard to tell if it was because the sun was being occluded by the moon or if it was being occluded by the storm clouds. I already knew the answer in my heart, though.

It once more began raining on us moments before totality hit. Instead of standing there in orgasmic awe and mind altering bliss, we were rushing our kids into the car and grabbing our chairs and snacks to prevent further saturation from the downpour.

About 7 minutes later, enough light came through that we could tell totality was over, even though there wasn't enough light to actually experience any of it.

My disappointment was heavy and an oppressive sense of sadness and lost opportunity sat low in my belly the entire ride home, this time with traffic so bad it took six hours to complete the drive which normally takes us only two.

Oh well. Maybe next time...

anticorncob28
Post  Post subject: Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse  |  Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:17 am

I am a little confused about where I live- some maps show me in the path of totality, others show me just outside of it. The people I asked said we were in the path of totality. I was expecting it to be pitch-dark just like in the middle of the night but that didn't happen (it was noticeably dark, though, and anyone who didn't know about the eclipse definitely would've noticed something different happening). It was somewhat cloudy, and maybe a lot of light rays were scattered there. I did notice a ring of light around the moon, so I'd assume that it had to be completely covered for that (but why would I see it if the sun is completely covered?)

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse  |  Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:54 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Not sure I understand your confusion. Here is a map to the path of totality: https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/eclipse-maps

Basically, if you're in that zone, the sun will be fully eclipsed. There is a ring outside the moon, but that's it. If you're outside that path, you only ever seen the sun partially eclipsed. The farther away you are from the path of totality, the less coverage you would experience.

This map gives a sense for what percentage coverage folks should have experienced given their location (click to enlarge):

See also: Baily's Beads (or Diamond Ring effect): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baily%27s_beads

janus
Post  Post subject: Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse  |  Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:34 pm

anticorncob28 wrote:
I am a little confused about where I live- some maps show me in the path of totality, others show me just outside of it. The people I asked said we were in the path of totality. I was expecting it to be pitch-dark just like in the middle of the night but that didn't happen (it was noticeably dark, though, and anyone who didn't know about the eclipse definitely would've noticed something different happening). It was somewhat cloudy, and maybe a lot of light rays were scattered there. I did notice a ring of light around the moon, so I'd assume that it had to be completely covered for that (but why would I see it if the sun is completely covered?)

That "ring" is the solar corona or the Sun's atmosphere. The body of the sun (the photosphere) is blocked, which allows you to see the glowing corona, which is normally washed out by the brightness of the Sun. It doesn't go completely dark because the corona gives off about as much light as a full moon and the moon's shadow hitting the Earth is not that wide. Light also "bleeds in" from the sides outside of the shadow.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse  |  Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:14 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I have to admit, I'm still extremely disappointed that we didn't get to see totality. That one's gonna stay with me for a while.

Until then, amazing shot (shots?) over at APOD today (click to enlarge): https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap170823.html

Quote:
Explanation: During a total solar eclipse, the Sun's extensive outer atmosphere, or corona, is an inspirational sight. Streamers and shimmering features visible to the eye span a brightness range of over 10,000 to 1, making them notoriously difficult to capture in a single photograph. But this composite of telescopic images covers a wide range of exposure times to reveal the crown of the Sun in all its glory. The aligned and stacked digital frames were taken in clear skies above Stanley, Idaho in the Sawtooth Mountains during the Sun's total eclipse on August 21. A pinkish solar prominence extends just beyond the right edge of the solar disk. Even small details on the dark night side of the New Moon can be made out, illuminated by sunlight reflected from a Full Earth.

janus
Post  Post subject: Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse  |  Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:39 am

iNow wrote:
I have to admit, I'm still extremely disappointed that we didn't get to see totality. That one's gonna stay with me for a while.

I carried the disappointment of not seeing the 1979 eclipse even when I lived on the totality line for a long time. I had been anticipating it for years. Getting to finally see one 38 years later feels like redemption. Seeing a total eclipse in person had been on my "bucket list" from way before that term was ever invented.

scoobydoo1
Post  Post subject: Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse  |  Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:55 pm

Here is a little something for those of you who weren't able to catch the eclipse.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: 2017 Solar Eclipse  |  Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:27 pm

not wanting to rain on anyone's parade, but seeing it on a video just isn't the same thing :twisted:

Olinguito
Post  Post subject:   |  Posted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:41 pm

But for people like me who couldn't get to see the real thing personally, videos are the next best thing. ;)