FAQ
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:25 pm

Hannah40
Post  Post subject: Neil Armstrong's Comment  |  Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:07 pm

I'm sure most of you would recall the video of Neil Armstrong when he makes this comment:

"Removing one of truths most protective layers".

What, exactly did he mean?

Thoughts please.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Da Vinci

"Water is the driving force of all nature" - Da Vinci

Dywyddyr
Post  Post subject: Re: Neil Armstrong's Comment  |  Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:19 pm

Apparently the quote is taken from this speech to (graduating?) students:
Today we have with us a group of students, among America's best. To you we say we have only completed a beginning. We leave you much that is undone. There are great ideas undiscovered, breakthroughs available to those who can remove one of the truth's protective layers. There are many places to go beyond belief. Those challenges are yours--in many fields, not the least of which is space, because there lies human destiny.

In which case it's fairly obvious that he's exhorting/ reminding them that science is a work in progress and that (hopefully) some of them will go on to make new discoveries.

Hannah40
Post  Post subject: Re: Neil Armstrong's Comment  |  Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:00 pm

But he mentions truth and removing protection from truth.
What truth?
Some believe he is admitting to moon landings being a hoax. I don't believe he is.
I wonder if he could be making a reference to religion and science being the force that could somehow disprove some aspects.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Neil Armstrong's Comment  |  Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:47 pm

i think that with the "truth's protective layers" he means that the truth is not always obvious or easy to find, and you need to peel some layers of evidence and counter-evidence away in order to unearth it

Hannah40
Post  Post subject: Re: Neil Armstrong's Comment  |  Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:55 pm

marnixR wrote:
i think that with the "truth's protective layers" he means that the truth is not always obvious or easy to find, and you need to peel some layers of evidence and counter-evidence away in order to unearth it

It's rather an odd statement for him to make.

The truth doesn't need protecting. The truth stands by itself.

He then goes on to mention human destiny. Now, he could quite easily be referencing the advancement of science in his particular field or he could be talking about human destiny as in our final destination from life to death. As in "We end up back where we started" and this is what makes me think about the religious aspect.
I wouldn't have any issue with his quote at all if it wasn't for those three words "Truths protective layers". It's like he's thrown us a bone.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Neil Armstrong's Comment  |  Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:10 pm

what I'm saying is that the truth isn't always that obvious, so much so that it would almost appear that the truth has protective layers around it, meaning that it only can be found by those who take the trouble to remove those layers

Armstrong was using a figure of speech - he wasn't saying that the truth needed protecting, but it almost seemed that it had protective layers surrounding it, it's a call to arms to the younger generation to unearth the next set of truths that currently lie buried

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Neil Armstrong's Comment  |  Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:27 pm
Original Member
Original Member

The "truth" is an ever changing target, not some stationary/fixed unchanging entity. It's context-dependent and forever shifting. Maybe that's part of the issue here?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan