FAQ
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:19 pm

Hannah40
Post  Post subject: Time Or Travel  |  Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:59 pm

Not sure if this is the correct category to place my ramblings in but, please, feel free to move it if need be.

Time and travel.

Two independent entities or one and the same?

See, we measure travelling against time. Like 10 mph or 10 knots per hour depending on mode of travel, however, I could say I'm 44 years of age and I have been travelling, along with earth and the Milky Way and Space (?) at their natural pace, not my pace.

So, my question is (If you haven't already gathered) is this....are time and travel one and the same action or are they seperate?
If you believe they are separate then provide an explanation.

I'm not a scientist but I do like to ask questions on the understanding that some of you are.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Da Vinci

"Water is the driving force of all nature" - Da Vinci

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Time Or Travel  |  Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:20 pm

Hannah40 wrote:
Not sure if this is the correct category to place my ramblings in but, please, feel free to move it if need be.

Time and travel.

Two independent entities or one and the same?

See, we measure travelling against time. Like 10 mph or 10 knots per hour depending on mode of travel, however, I could say I'm 44 years of age and I have been travelling, along with earth and the Milky Way and Space (?) at their natural pace, not my pace.

So, my question is (If you haven't already gathered) is this....are time and travel one and the same action or are they seperate?
If you believe they are separate then provide an explanation.

I'm not a scientist but I do like to ask questions on the understanding that some of you are.
Have you read about Special Relativity?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Time Or Travel  |  Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:25 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Hannah40 wrote:
are time and travel one and the same action or are they seperate?

It depends on how one defines time and how one defines travel.

In my experience, the concept of travel usually implies a transformation across both time and space... I went from my house to the grocery store... it took me 10 minutes to do so... that sort of thing. I traveled to the store.

So... the question becomes: If time passes, but I do not change coordinates... if I don't "move"... can I rightly be said to have traveled? Sort of depends on how we're defining our terms.

The easy answer for me is... Well, of course. I traveled forward through "time" ... whatever that is... whatever "time" is... at a rate of one second per second... relative to myself.

But, did I travel if I didn't traverse any space, if my coordinates on x,y, and z remained unchanged? That answer rests on what we mean by travel and whether a spatial shift is required in addition to the chronological one.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Hannah40
Post  Post subject: Re: Time Or Travel  |  Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:22 pm

Thank you for your comprehension, inow

When we speak of 'time' there is 'local' time as in earth time and then there is time as in our galaxy travel (that is, of course if we are actually moving throughout space in our cluster) then there is the travel through space as 'the collective'.

It's rather like a hamster on a wheel. Spinning round so fast it can see its own backside but it doesn't mean it is gaining momentum or pace in other means. Does it?

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Da Vinci

"Water is the driving force of all nature" - Da Vinci

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Time Or Travel  |  Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:28 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Depends on the perspective of the observer. Perhaps a similar question is if it's ever possible to be completely still. I'd say, no. Our molecules are always moving. Our bodies are always moving. Our tectonic plates are always moving. Our planet is always moving. Our solar system is always moving. Our galaxy is always moving. Our supercluster is always moving... relative to something else, anyway.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan