FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:35 am

Hannah40
Post  Post subject: Mental Health (insensitivity)  |  Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:52 am

I don't know about you but I live in the UK where Mental Health awareness issues are making headlines.

Is it ever appropriate to label people with names like 'Nutter' even if they have MH issues or not?

Personally, I abhor such behaviours - especially from adults. Even if the intended target doesn't take offence, it is derogatory to people with MH issues.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Da Vinci

"Water is the driving force of all nature" - Da Vinci

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Mental Health (insensitivity)  |  Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:20 pm
Original Member
Original Member

It could be helpful in some circumstances where facts won't penetrate or evidence is being ignored. Our last resort is to socially castigate the other, but in general terms (lacking context or specifics), I have to agree that it's in poor form.

That said, our president in the US right now is rather obviously a nutter and I'm quite comfortable expressing that openly here. 8-)

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Mental Health (insensitivity)  |  Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:16 pm

iNow wrote:
It could be helpful in some circumstances where facts won't penetrate or evidence is being ignored. Our last resort is to socially castigate the other, but in general terms (lacking context or specifics), I have to agree that it's in poor form.

That said, our president in the US right now is rather obviously a nutter and I'm quite comfortable expressing that openly here. 8-)

I was told big hands = small nuts(that's a euphemism).

Do you have it back to front in the USA?

Hannah40
Post  Post subject: Re: Mental Health (insensitivity)  |  Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:49 am

iNow wrote:

Trump is a disgrace. He isn't there for the people. He's there because somebody is purporting him to do their dirty work.
I'll give you a clue. The same person also has major political influence in the UK, Australia.
Big media mogul and one of the most vile people to ever walk the earth.
I will also refer you to my previous posts about MK Ultra and dark arts.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Da Vinci

"Water is the driving force of all nature" - Da Vinci

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Mental Health (insensitivity)  |  Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:18 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Just to keep the conversation going... I notice you referred to this individual as one of the most vile people to ever walk the earth. How does such a comment jibe with the underlying message of your OP that (as adults) applying labels like these to others is an abhorrent practice?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan