FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:02 am

marnixR
Post  Post subject: what kind of animal ?  |  Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:22 pm

does anyone know what type of animal this could be ? i discovered its skull as i was clearing the undergrowth of the bushes in the front garden - it's 60mm long and 35mm wide, and appears to have the dentition of a carnivore or insectivore (maybe a juvenile?)

Image Image Image

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: what kind of animal ?  |  Posted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:00 pm

marnixR wrote:
does anyone know what type of animal this could be ? i discovered its skull as i was clearing the undergrowth of the bushes in the front garden - it's 60mm long and 35mm wide, and appears to have the dentition of a carnivore or insectivore (maybe a juvenile?)

Image Image Image

(guess) could it be a a badger ?

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: what kind of animal ?  |  Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:41 pm

i thought a badger was a bigger animal
just going on size i'd say it's more likely to be a stoat, a hedgehog, a young cat or something else in that size range

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: what kind of animal ?  |  Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:54 pm

marnixR wrote:
i thought a badger was a bigger animal
just going on size i'd say it's more likely to be a stoat, a hedgehog, a young cat or something else in that size range

I thought you imagined it might be a young one. Anyway it was a pure guess (although they do have long heads)

I have observed two badgers fighting at night. It was quite frightening.They were circling each other fast and vicious like a Catherine wheel and you could see their eyes glow.

It was like a tornado.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: what kind of animal ?  |  Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:44 pm

Kallie suggested on fb that it might be a hedgehog - since i've seen them on a number of occasions in the front garden, and the skull matches drawings of them, i think it's a fair bet he's correct

DrKrettin
Post  Post subject: Re: what kind of animal ?  |  Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:34 am

marnixR wrote:
Kallie suggested on fb that it might be a hedgehog - since i've seen them on a number of occasions in the front garden, and the skull matches drawings of them, i think it's a fair bet he's correct

I once found a dead badger and kept its skull because it was such an unusual shape. That really does look remarkably similar. The skull was surprisingly small for the size of the badger, but bigger than that specimen, I'd say 100 mm for a full-size animal, not 60mm. So it could be a young badger, or it might be a hedgehog as suggested.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: what kind of animal ?  |  Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:53 am

does it have incisors like this one, i.e. pointy like a pencil ?

DrKrettin
Post  Post subject: Re: what kind of animal ?  |  Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:25 am

marnixR wrote:
does it have incisors like this one, i.e. pointy like a pencil ?

Yes, that was the most noticeable feature. This was 20 years ago I had to throw it away because it was disintegrating and smelled disgusting because I did not know how to clean all the soft tissues off the bone.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: what kind of animal ?  |  Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:27 pm

there's of course also the fact that I'm not aware of seeing any badgers in our neighbourhood, whereas on the odd occasion I've seen foxes and hedgehogs

that doesn't obviously prove anything, and I think I'll investigate the badger option somewhat further

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: what kind of animal ?  |  Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:12 pm

marnixR wrote:
there's of course also the fact that I'm not aware of seeing any badgers in our neighbourhood, whereas on the odd occasion I've seen foxes and hedgehogs

that doesn't obviously prove anything, and I think I'll investigate the badger option somewhat further

thought about asking a vet that works with farm animals?

DrKrettin
Post  Post subject: Re: what kind of animal ?  |  Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:20 pm

marnixR wrote:

Here are some pictures of badgers' skulls: http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/badger-skull.html

They seem to be quite similar to foxes

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: what kind of animal ?  |  Posted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:38 pm

DrKrettin wrote:
Here are some pictures of badgers' skulls: http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/badger-skull.html

They seem to be quite similar to foxes

not sure - this skull appears to be far more robust than the one I saw
I happen to know someone who's a palaeontologist at the national museum in Cardiff, I might just take it along next time I see her