FAQ
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:46 pm

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:46 pm

Happy Memorial Day! I am remembering my German American grandfather who was born in the US in 1928 and joined the US Navy in 1946 when he was old enough to enlist and served until 1950.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 11:32 pm

I am also remembering my Polish American great grandfather who served in the US Army in France during World War 1.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:43 pm

mmatt9876 wrote:
I have done some research on my last name origin an I found out my last name is of English, German, Dutch, and Jewish origin. I know I am German, Irish, Polish, and Russian but I do not know if the term name origin implies family descent. Do you guys happen to know if the term name origin implies family descent?

I know I am an American with German, Polish, Irish, and Russian ancestry but I am not sure if I have English, Dutch, or Jewish ancestry too.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:15 pm

mmatt9876 wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:
I have done some research on my last name origin an I found out my last name is of English, German, Dutch, and Jewish origin. I know I am German, Irish, Polish, and Russian but I do not know if the term name origin implies family descent. Do you guys happen to know if the term name origin implies family descent?

I know I am an American with German, Polish, Irish, and Russian ancestry but I am not sure if I have English, Dutch, or Jewish ancestry too.

I know I am a German, Polish, Irish, and Russian American but after doing some more research on my last name it looks like I may be English too.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:20 pm

mmatt9876 wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

I know I am a German, Polish, Irish, and Russian American but after doing some more research on my last name it looks like I may be English too.

After considering the research I have done so far I am only certain I am a German, Polish, Irish, and Russian American.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:07 pm

mmatt9876 wrote:
After considering the research I have done so far I am only certain I am a German, Polish, Irish, and Russian American.

So to the best of my knowledge concerning my ancestry I am an American and my ancestry is German, Polish, Irish, and Russian.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:27 pm

mmatt9876 wrote:
So to the best of my knowledge concerning my ancestry I am an American and my ancestry is German, Polish, Irish, and Russian.

My research on my last name suggests I may have some English, Dutch, and Jewish ancestry too but I am not certain of it.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:07 pm

mmatt9876 wrote:
My research on my last name suggests I may have some English, Dutch, and Jewish ancestry too but I am not certain of it.

So to sum up my ancestry I am an American with German, Polish, Irish, and Russian ancestry.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:26 pm

mmatt9876 wrote:
So to sum up my ancestry I am an American with German, Polish, Irish, and Russian ancestry.

I just wanted to apologize for repeating myself so many times about my ancestry. I was insecure in not knowing exactly where I come from. I wanted to put my best most accurate self forward.

So in conclusion concerning my ancestry I am an American who has German, Polish, Irish, and Russian ancestry. I do not believe I have any English, Dutch, or Jewish ancestry.

Thank you!

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:44 pm
Original Member
Original Member

mmatt9876 wrote:
I just wanted to apologize for repeating myself so many times about my ancestry. I was insecure in not knowing exactly where I come from. I wanted to put my best most accurate self forward.

So in conclusion concerning my ancestry I am an American who has German, Polish, Irish, and Russian ancestry. I do not believe I have any English, Dutch, or Jewish ancestry.

Thank you!

I have English, Hungarian, Norwegian, Irish, German, and Danish ancestry. My grandfather on my mom's side was Hungarian. I don't really put too much thought into it though. It has no real bearing on my life, other than my love of Hungarian food.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:28 am
Original Member
Original Member

I have single celled ancestry.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:04 am

iNow wrote:

Your father was a jailbird?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:23 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Nah, that was my mum

j/k

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:58 pm

mmatt9876 wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

Thank you!

After doing some more research on my last name I have discovered my full ancestry is English, Dutch, French, German, Swiss, Polish, Irish, and Russian.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:09 am

mmatt9876 wrote:
After doing some more research on my last name I have discovered my full ancestry is English, Dutch, French, German, Swiss, Polish, Irish, and Russian.

Actually I am only comfortable with being recognized as German, Polish, Irish, and Russian because that is the only ancestry I am sure I have.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:24 pm

mmatt9876 wrote:
Actually I am only comfortable with being recognized as German, Polish, Irish, and Russian because that is the only ancestry I am sure I have.

Actually I do not think I am English, Dutch, French, or Swiss.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:52 pm
Original Member
Original Member

This thread confuses me on several levels :lol:

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:10 pm

iNow wrote:
This thread confuses me on several levels :lol:

Yea! Sorry! I am confused about my ancestry! I just want to get it right. :)

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:50 pm

It might be quicker to say which groups you don't claim ancestry from... :p

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:54 pm

PhDemon wrote:
It might be quicker to say which groups you don't claim ancestry from... :p

Yea! I may have a rather wide ancestry! :)

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:21 pm

If you go back far enough everyone has!

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:38 pm

PhDemon wrote:
If you go back far enough everyone has!

I was told our family was related to Lloyd George. I have not researched it but it did make me feel good at the time as it surely meant I was imbued with his genius ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Lloyd_George

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:58 pm

Our family is distantly related to Robert the Bruce and the Stewart kings of Scotland, but thousands of others can make the same claim... Family trees all tend to merge if you go back enough.

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:22 pm

PhDemon wrote:
Our family is distantly related to Robert the Bruce and the Stewart kings of Scotland, but thousands of others can make the same claim... Family trees all tend to merge if you go back enough.
Connected by the web :D

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:40 pm

As of now I am still not sure if I am English, Dutch, French, or Swiss but I know I am German, Polish, Irish, and Russian.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:31 pm

Actually, considering my research, chances are I am English, Dutch, French, and Swiss too.

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:00 pm

From my research , I reckon that I am a White African , Anglo Saxon Celt. I was born in Kenya, my parents are from the British Isles. :D

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:19 pm

Next I am thinking about trying out one of those DNA tests to confirm my findings. I am thinking about trying out Ancestry DNA or 23 and Me. Has anybody else tried out a DNA test and can recommend it?

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:32 pm

wireless wrote:
From my research , I reckon that I am a White African , Anglo Saxon Celt. I was born in Kenya, my parents are from the British Isles. :D

That is cool! I know Kenya was once a part of the British Empire. I had a good friend from Kenya growing up but his father got a job in Canada so he had to move.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:56 am
Original Member
Original Member

wireless wrote:

Hmmmm, /looks suspiciously like birtherism and racism to me :roll: :evil:

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:36 am

I have an identity crisis but am not sure which one it is as it appears there can be various kinds :?

eg: https://www.amazon.com/Nine-Types-Ident ... 1544788959

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:17 pm

geordief wrote:
I have an identity crisis but am not sure which one it is as it appears there can be various kinds :?

That is an interesting looking book.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:18 pm

paleoichneum wrote:
wireless wrote:

Racism is never good.

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:25 pm

mmatt9876 wrote:
geordief wrote:

That is an interesting looking book.

It is a recent publication but I am afraid I am more than reluctant to read books that are overtly religious/spiritual. The capitalization of Destiny,False and Greatness in the descriptive blurb is an immediate turn off for me.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:22 pm

I forgot to mention that I may have some Jewish ancestry too.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:56 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
I have English, Hungarian, Norwegian, Irish, German, and Danish ancestry. My grandfather on my mom's side was Hungarian. I don't really put too much thought into it though. It has no real bearing on my life, other than my love of Hungarian food.

That is cool! I think a lot of us Americans have more than three or four countries of ancestry. :)

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: the off-topic thread  |  Posted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:01 pm

iNow wrote:

And before that came DNA! :)

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:43 am

So to sum up my ancestry so far I may be Jewish, Roman, English, Dutch, French, Swiss, German, Polish, Irish, and Russian.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:11 pm

in comparison my ancestry is pretty simple : flemish on my dad's side for at least the past 200 years, french on my mum's side over the same period - before that the records fizzle out

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:31 pm

paleoichneum wrote:
wireless wrote:

Is that all ? :shock:

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:50 pm
Original Member
Original Member

wireless wrote:
paleoichneum wrote:
wireless wrote:

Is that all ? :shock:

What more need be said?

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:26 pm
Original Member
Original Member

This seemed appropriate for here: https://www.theguardian.com/science/commentisfree/2015/may/24/business-genetic-ancestry-charlemagne-adam-rutherford

From the link:
Quote:
If you’re vaguely of European extraction, you are also the fruits of Charlemagne’s prodigious loins. A fecund ruler, he sired at least 18 children by motley wives and concubines, including Charles the Younger, Pippin the Hunchback, Drogo of Metz, Hruodrud, Ruodhaid, and not forgetting Hugh.

This is merely a numbers game. You have two parents, four grandparents, eight great-grandparents, and so on. But this ancestral expansion is not borne back ceaselessly into the past. If it were, your family tree when Charlemagne was Le Grand Fromage would harbour more than a billion ancestors – more people than were alive then. What this means is that pedigrees begin to fold in on themselves a few generations back, and become less arboreal, and more web-like

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:19 pm

You stick a birtherism label on me, now I know how Obama felt. You stick a racism label on me , I now know how the University of Cincinnati campus police officer Ray Tensing felt. I am just waiting for the homophobic and transphobic labels to be despatched.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:46 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
This seemed appropriate for here: https://www.theguardian.com/science/commentisfree/2015/may/24/business-genetic-ancestry-charlemagne-adam-rutherford

From the link:
Quote:
If you’re vaguely of European extraction, you are also the fruits of Charlemagne’s prodigious loins. A fecund ruler, he sired at least 18 children by motley wives and concubines, including Charles the Younger, Pippin the Hunchback, Drogo of Metz, Hruodrud, Ruodhaid, and not forgetting Hugh.

This is merely a numbers game. You have two parents, four grandparents, eight great-grandparents, and so on. But this ancestral expansion is not borne back ceaselessly into the past. If it were, your family tree when Charlemagne was Le Grand Fromage would harbour more than a billion ancestors – more people than were alive then. What this means is that pedigrees begin to fold in on themselves a few generations back, and become less arboreal, and more web-like

I wonder if that makes people of European descent royalty in a way!

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:09 pm
Original Member
Original Member

mmatt9876 wrote:
I wonder if that makes people of European descent royalty in a way!

I suppose it does.

Although it reminds me of the plot of the villain from the movie the Incredibles, who wanted to make everyone "Super" because in a world where everyone is "super" no one truly is. So if we're all royalty in a way, does it make the title of royalty worthless? In a world where everyone is royalty, no one is truly royalty.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:48 pm

Some of us are closer than others :p But it's true, if you back far enough we are all related to some pyscho murderer that wore a crown!

janus
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:23 am

My ancestry is straightforward. As far back as I can trace, my ancestors are from Finland (and I have been able to take one branch back to the 1400's).
You wouldn't be able to tell from my last name however. My grandfather changed his surname a number of times before settling on the one he passed on to my father. He was born under one surname, but sometime after his father died, they sold the homestead to immigrate to the US. In Finland at that time, in many cases a person's surname was that of his homestead. When they sold it, they felt they were no longer entitled to that name, so they changed to their paternal Grandmother's maiden name. Upon reaching the US, they decided to truncate it from 4 to 2 syllables. Some of my grandfather's brothers just kept the truncated spelling which ended in an "i", but granddad first changed the i to a y and then later, under advice, to "ey", which made the spelling the same as that for an English surname.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:53 pm

I just wanted to update you guys on my ancestry. I do indeed believe I am a German, Polish, Irish, and Russian American. I am unsure if I am Jewish, Roman, English, Dutch, French, or Swiss however. I hate having to say I may or may not be something so I thought this update was important.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:05 pm

So to the best of my knowledge so far I am a German, Polish, Irish, and Russian American. I am thinking about trying out one of those DNA tests to find out the whole story on my ancestry.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:13 pm

would DNA tests really be able to pinpoint the country of origin with any precision? especially since over the centuries the boundaries of those countries have varied substantially