FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:28 pm

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:15 pm
Original Member
Original Member

marnixR wrote:
would DNA tests really be able to pinpoint the country of origin with any precision? especially since over the centuries the boundaries of those countries have varied substantially

I've had similar concerns. It's like my mom's father was completely Hungarian, but who's to say that at times his ancestors didn't live in what is now Austria, or Romania?

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:14 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
marnixR wrote:
would DNA tests really be able to pinpoint the country of origin with any precision? especially since over the centuries the boundaries of those countries have varied substantially

I've had similar concerns. It's like my mom's father was completely Hungarian, but who's to say that at times his ancestors didn't live in what is now Austria, or Romania?

Those are good points. I wonder how accurate those DNA tests really are. I guess your DNA is matched up to groups of people currently living in different places of origin.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:38 pm
Original Member
Original Member

mmatt9876 wrote:
Those are good points. I wonder how accurate those DNA tests really are. I guess your DNA is matched up to groups of people currently living in different places of origin.

I believe that is how the tests work. But I don't know enough on the subject to say whether we're correct. In any case it's always seemed silly to me that at different times people living within a mile of each other could be considered the same nationality or different ones. Nations are just invisible lines that are drawn after all.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:31 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

I believe that is how the tests work. But I don't know enough on the subject to say whether we're correct. In any case it's always seemed silly to me that at different times people living within a mile of each other could be considered the same nationality or different ones. Nations are just invisible lines that are drawn after all.

That is true. In the end we are all just human beings that share many things in common.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:06 pm

I have decided that I am probably not going to get one of those DNA tests because they can be expensive.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:06 pm
Original Member
Original Member

mmatt9876 wrote:
That is true. In the end we are all just human beings that share many things in common.

It's not just that, it makes more sense for people living in the same geographical region to share more genetic traits than between them and someone on the opposite side of the country. Like look at Switzerland, I would imagine that the people native to the area around Geneva are probably closer related to the people in the French town of Annecy than they are to the people in Zurich on the opposite side of Switzerland. Or at least traditionally they would be.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:22 pm

I wanted to update you guys on my ancestry. I am a German, Polish, Irish, and Russian American. I do not believe I am anything else.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:48 am
Original Member
Original Member

Falconer360 wrote:
it makes more sense for people living in the same geographical region to share more genetic traits than between them and someone on the opposite side of the country. Like look at Switzerland, I would imagine that the people native to the area around Geneva are probably closer related to the people in the French town of Annecy than they are to the people in Zurich on the opposite side of Switzerland. Or at least traditionally they would be.

It'd be interesting to correlate this to attraction and whether people are more physically attracted to those who look similar versus those who look different / more exotic... that perhaps physical differences act as a proxy for genetic differences. There'd be a lot of extraneous variables to control for, though.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:56 pm

Will see if I can find study later, but I remember a meta study of attraction studies done a couple decades ago that found people most attracted to pretty close kin--as in 2nd cousins, a genetic distance rather close to optimum to reinforce beneficial genes by natural selection while minimizing disadvantageous ones.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:36 pm
Original Member
Original Member

So, sort of the opposite of what I suggested in my post above. Wild... I was always drawn the exotic / their ancestry were all on the other side of the planet - types.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:57 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Lynx if you find that study let me know. Those sorts of studies have always interested me.

Inow, I think that while being drawn to the exotic is not the norm, it still occurs significantly often. A common example of this would be the popular trend for white american men to be drawn to Asian women.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:04 pm

I am an American who may have some Roman, English, Dutch, French, Swiss, German, Polish, Irish, and Russian ancestry.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:24 pm
Original Member
Original Member

So, what's changing in between your posts? I'm wondering why you keep coming back to assert your heritage, yet really aren't changing the basics. Are you maybe continuing to do research and discovering that your previous statements were inaccurate somehow?

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:36 pm

iNow wrote:
So, what's changing in between your posts? I'm wondering why you keep coming back to assert your heritage, yet really aren't changing the basics. Are you maybe continuing to do research and discovering that your previous statements were inaccurate somehow?

Yes, I have been doing some more research on my heritage and I have also been reconsidering the research I have already done on it so far too. Sorry about the multiple and repetitive posts about my heritage.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:30 am
Original Member
Original Member

No need to apologize, Matt. I think it's great you're exploring this and are interested. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:05 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
It's not just that, it makes more sense for people living in the same geographical region to share more genetic traits than between them and someone on the opposite side of the country. Like look at Switzerland, I would imagine that the people native to the area around Geneva are probably closer related to the people in the French town of Annecy than they are to the people in Zurich on the opposite side of Switzerland. Or at least traditionally they would be.

That makes sense. Country borders are more of a political barrier rather than a genetic barrier.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:04 pm

My next step in researching my ancestry may be to get an ancestry DNA test. I have considered them in the past but now I am opening up to the idea again.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:06 pm

I just wanted you guys to know I am actively researching and reconsidering my ancestry again.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:16 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Given the fluid nature of the updates you've given, I'm curious as to what methods your using to research with?

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:37 pm

paleoichneum wrote:
Given the fluid nature of the updates you've given, I'm curious as to what methods your using to research with?

I simply google my last name a research different articles.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:37 pm

So nothing about my ancestry has changed.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:06 pm
Original Member
Original Member

mmatt9876 wrote:

That'd be a pretty neat trick if it had. ;)

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:08 pm

iNow wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

That'd be a pretty neat trick if it had. ;)

Good logic! A persons ancestry cannot change but their knowledge about it can. :)

Last edited by mmatt9876 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:12 pm

So I wanted to apologize for all of the repetitive posts about my ancestry. I will try to keep the repetitive posts to a minimum.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:45 pm

I was surprised by how much I was able to find out about my ancestry by googling my last name origin and reading different articles.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:15 pm

I wanted to mention that I may have some Jewish ancestry too.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:28 pm

I gave it some thought and I decided I was not being so much repetitive with my ancestry posts but rather I was trying to be thorough and up to date.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:57 pm

I am not one hundred percent sure what it means to have Jewish ancestry. I am not sure if Judaism is just a religion or if it is also a bloodline too. I was raised Christian and not Jewish so that is why I am confused about how I may be Jewish also.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:06 pm

I am happy with what I have found out about my ancestry so far. It was a little difficult for me to accept that I may be Jewish considering how Jews have sadly been treated in the past but I am slowly warming up to the idea.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:52 am
Original Member
Original Member

It's okay, though. We're all human. We're FAR more alike than different. We share something like 98% of the same DNA with chimpanzees. Just imagine how much we share with people who merely have different skin colors or religions. :)

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:06 pm

iNow wrote:
It's okay, though. We're all human. We're FAR more alike than different. We share something like 98% of the same DNA with chimpanzees. Just imagine how much we share with people who merely have different skin colors or religions. :)

That is true! We are all so similar. :)

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:26 pm

I have given my religious beliefs some thought and I have decided I am atheist. I believe science is the best path to understanding the universe.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:11 pm

Actually I do not believe I have Jewish ancestry. I have never heard about it in the family. I remember asking both my grandparents if we were Jewish and they both said no.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:25 pm

I have given my religious beliefs some more thought and I have decided I am a Christian.