FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:28 pm


Author Message
Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:15 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Posts: 995
Location: Somewhere in the Great State of Washington

Offline
marnixR wrote:
would DNA tests really be able to pinpoint the country of origin with any precision? especially since over the centuries the boundaries of those countries have varied substantially

I've had similar concerns. It's like my mom's father was completely Hungarian, but who's to say that at times his ancestors didn't live in what is now Austria, or Romania?

_________________
"For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled." Hunter S Thompson
"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down" - Yagyu Munenori


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:14 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
Falconer360 wrote:
marnixR wrote:
would DNA tests really be able to pinpoint the country of origin with any precision? especially since over the centuries the boundaries of those countries have varied substantially

I've had similar concerns. It's like my mom's father was completely Hungarian, but who's to say that at times his ancestors didn't live in what is now Austria, or Romania?


Those are good points. I wonder how accurate those DNA tests really are. I guess your DNA is matched up to groups of people currently living in different places of origin.


Top
Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:38 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Posts: 995
Location: Somewhere in the Great State of Washington

Offline
mmatt9876 wrote:
Those are good points. I wonder how accurate those DNA tests really are. I guess your DNA is matched up to groups of people currently living in different places of origin.

I believe that is how the tests work. But I don't know enough on the subject to say whether we're correct. In any case it's always seemed silly to me that at different times people living within a mile of each other could be considered the same nationality or different ones. Nations are just invisible lines that are drawn after all.

_________________
"For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled." Hunter S Thompson
"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down" - Yagyu Munenori


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:31 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
Falconer360 wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:
Those are good points. I wonder how accurate those DNA tests really are. I guess your DNA is matched up to groups of people currently living in different places of origin.

I believe that is how the tests work. But I don't know enough on the subject to say whether we're correct. In any case it's always seemed silly to me that at different times people living within a mile of each other could be considered the same nationality or different ones. Nations are just invisible lines that are drawn after all.


That is true. In the end we are all just human beings that share many things in common.


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:06 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
I have decided that I am probably not going to get one of those DNA tests because they can be expensive.


Top
Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:06 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Posts: 995
Location: Somewhere in the Great State of Washington

Offline
mmatt9876 wrote:
That is true. In the end we are all just human beings that share many things in common.

It's not just that, it makes more sense for people living in the same geographical region to share more genetic traits than between them and someone on the opposite side of the country. Like look at Switzerland, I would imagine that the people native to the area around Geneva are probably closer related to the people in the French town of Annecy than they are to the people in Zurich on the opposite side of Switzerland. Or at least traditionally they would be.

_________________
"For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled." Hunter S Thompson
"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down" - Yagyu Munenori


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:22 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
I wanted to update you guys on my ancestry. I am a German, Polish, Irish, and Russian American. I do not believe I am anything else.


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:48 am
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5659
Location: Iowa

Offline
Falconer360 wrote:
it makes more sense for people living in the same geographical region to share more genetic traits than between them and someone on the opposite side of the country. Like look at Switzerland, I would imagine that the people native to the area around Geneva are probably closer related to the people in the French town of Annecy than they are to the people in Zurich on the opposite side of Switzerland. Or at least traditionally they would be.

It'd be interesting to correlate this to attraction and whether people are more physically attracted to those who look similar versus those who look different / more exotic... that perhaps physical differences act as a proxy for genetic differences. There'd be a lot of extraneous variables to control for, though.

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:56 pm

Joined: Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:17 am
Posts: 240
Location: US Pacific NorthWest

Offline
Will see if I can find study later, but I remember a meta study of attraction studies done a couple decades ago that found people most attracted to pretty close kin--as in 2nd cousins, a genetic distance rather close to optimum to reinforce beneficial genes by natural selection while minimizing disadvantageous ones.


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:36 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5659
Location: Iowa

Offline
So, sort of the opposite of what I suggested in my post above. Wild... I was always drawn the exotic / their ancestry were all on the other side of the planet - types.

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:57 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:30 pm
Posts: 995
Location: Somewhere in the Great State of Washington

Offline
Lynx if you find that study let me know. Those sorts of studies have always interested me.

Inow, I think that while being drawn to the exotic is not the norm, it still occurs significantly often. A common example of this would be the popular trend for white american men to be drawn to Asian women.

_________________
"For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled." Hunter S Thompson
"It is easy to kill someone with a slash of a sword. It is hard to be impossible for others to cut down" - Yagyu Munenori


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:04 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
I am an American who may have some Roman, English, Dutch, French, Swiss, German, Polish, Irish, and Russian ancestry.


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:24 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5659
Location: Iowa

Offline
So, what's changing in between your posts? I'm wondering why you keep coming back to assert your heritage, yet really aren't changing the basics. Are you maybe continuing to do research and discovering that your previous statements were inaccurate somehow?

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:36 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
iNow wrote:
So, what's changing in between your posts? I'm wondering why you keep coming back to assert your heritage, yet really aren't changing the basics. Are you maybe continuing to do research and discovering that your previous statements were inaccurate somehow?


Yes, I have been doing some more research on my heritage and I have also been reconsidering the research I have already done on it so far too. Sorry about the multiple and repetitive posts about my heritage.


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:30 am
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5659
Location: Iowa

Offline
No need to apologize, Matt. I think it's great you're exploring this and are interested. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing something.

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:05 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
Falconer360 wrote:
It's not just that, it makes more sense for people living in the same geographical region to share more genetic traits than between them and someone on the opposite side of the country. Like look at Switzerland, I would imagine that the people native to the area around Geneva are probably closer related to the people in the French town of Annecy than they are to the people in Zurich on the opposite side of Switzerland. Or at least traditionally they would be.


That makes sense. Country borders are more of a political barrier rather than a genetic barrier.


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:04 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
My next step in researching my ancestry may be to get an ancestry DNA test. I have considered them in the past but now I am opening up to the idea again.


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:06 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
I just wanted you guys to know I am actively researching and reconsidering my ancestry again.


Top
paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:16 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:23 am
Posts: 498

Offline
Given the fluid nature of the updates you've given, I'm curious as to what methods your using to research with?

_________________
The needs of the many outweigh the need of the few - Spock of Vulcan & Sentinel Prime of Cybertron ---proof that "the needs" are in the eye of the beholder.


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:37 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
paleoichneum wrote:
Given the fluid nature of the updates you've given, I'm curious as to what methods your using to research with?


I simply google my last name a research different articles.


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:37 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
So nothing about my ancestry has changed.


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:06 pm
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5659
Location: Iowa

Offline
mmatt9876 wrote:
So nothing about my ancestry has changed.

That'd be a pretty neat trick if it had. ;)

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:08 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
iNow wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:
So nothing about my ancestry has changed.

That'd be a pretty neat trick if it had. ;)


Good logic! A persons ancestry cannot change but their knowledge about it can. :)


Last edited by mmatt9876 on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:12 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
So I wanted to apologize for all of the repetitive posts about my ancestry. I will try to keep the repetitive posts to a minimum.


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:45 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
I was surprised by how much I was able to find out about my ancestry by googling my last name origin and reading different articles.


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:15 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
I wanted to mention that I may have some Jewish ancestry too.


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:28 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
I gave it some thought and I decided I was not being so much repetitive with my ancestry posts but rather I was trying to be thorough and up to date.


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:57 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
I am not one hundred percent sure what it means to have Jewish ancestry. I am not sure if Judaism is just a religion or if it is also a bloodline too. I was raised Christian and not Jewish so that is why I am confused about how I may be Jewish also.


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:06 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
I am happy with what I have found out about my ancestry so far. It was a little difficult for me to accept that I may be Jewish considering how Jews have sadly been treated in the past but I am slowly warming up to the idea.


Top
iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:52 am
User avatar
Original Member
Original Member

Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:40 pm
Posts: 5659
Location: Iowa

Offline
It's okay, though. We're all human. We're FAR more alike than different. We share something like 98% of the same DNA with chimpanzees. Just imagine how much we share with people who merely have different skin colors or religions. :)

_________________
iNow

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:06 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
iNow wrote:
It's okay, though. We're all human. We're FAR more alike than different. We share something like 98% of the same DNA with chimpanzees. Just imagine how much we share with people who merely have different skin colors or religions. :)


That is true! We are all so similar. :)


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:26 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
I have given my religious beliefs some thought and I have decided I am atheist. I believe science is the best path to understanding the universe.


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:11 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
Actually I do not believe I have Jewish ancestry. I have never heard about it in the family. I remember asking both my grandparents if we were Jewish and they both said no.


Top
mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:25 pm

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:56 pm
Posts: 142
Location: New Jersey USA

Offline
I have given my religious beliefs some more thought and I have decided I am a Christian.


Top
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Print view

Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
Jump to:   


Delete all board cookies | The team | All times are UTC


This free forum is proudly hosted by ProphpBB | phpBB software | Report Abuse | Privacy