FAQ
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:51 am

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:52 pm
Original Member
Original Member

mmatt9876 wrote:
In addition to the English, German, and Jewish branches/trees of the Meyer family I found some sources that said there may also be Roman, Dutch, French, Swiss, and Danish Meyers too. It is hard to say if each branch/tree of the Meyer family started and evolved on its own or if some or all these Meyer families are connected in some way.

The only way you will find out is by tracing your specific patrilineal line back. Of course that doesn't account for the other lines of ancestry that merged into the Meyer line. Genealogy is fun but tedious. Have you looked up your mother's side much? Follow her parents back?

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:06 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:
In addition to the English, German, and Jewish branches/trees of the Meyer family I found some sources that said there may also be Roman, Dutch, French, Swiss, and Danish Meyers too. It is hard to say if each branch/tree of the Meyer family started and evolved on its own or if some or all these Meyer families are connected in some way.

The only way you will find out is by tracing your specific patrilineal line back. Of course that doesn't account for the other lines of ancestry that merged into the Meyer line. Genealogy is fun but tedious. Have you looked up your mother's side much? Follow her parents back?

I guess I should focus less on the name, which is a common occupational heredity name, and more so on my family line when it come to my ancestry. I have not studied my moms side that much yet. I will probably get around to it.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:25 pm

To my knowledge I belong to the German branch/tree of the Meyer family.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:39 pm
Original Member
Original Member

mmatt9876 wrote:
I guess I should focus less on the name, which is a common occupational heredity name, and more so on my family line when it come to my ancestry. I have not studied my moms side that much yet. I will probably get around to it.

That would probably be best for accuracy. Also a good idea to look into your moms side. I mean without it, you're only getting half of who your ancestors are.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:42 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
That would probably be best for accuracy. Also a good idea to look into your moms side. I mean without it, you're only getting half of who your ancestors are.

I will look into it sometime. I know my mother has Irish, German, and Russian ancestry.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:59 pm

I did some research on my moms maiden name Colfer and I discovered it is of Irish ancestry and originates in County Wexford which was founded by the Vikings in southeastern Ireland.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:22 pm

Meyer and its variants are occupational heredity surnames for an ancestor who was a mayor. So different mayors in different parts of Europe with a job title sounding like mayor could have adopted the name Meyer or one of it variants without being connected to other Meyers.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:48 pm
Original Member
Original Member

that's what my limited searching pulled up on Meyer as well. Which is why it's almost pointless to look up the name on its own. Have you tried using like your great grandfathers full name in a search to see if you can trace our patrilineal line back multiple generations. I did that with my great grandfather Alvin Chester Wellman and found someone searching for info on his grandfather because they were descended from one of Chester's uncles. So I was able to piggyback on their research.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:46 pm

Actually I believe the many branches of the Meyer family tree could still be one whole family tree.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:33 pm

The reason I believe that all the branches of the Meyer family are one family tree is because I want to feel more connected.

Last edited by iNow on Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Edited per request from poster

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:58 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
that's what my limited searching pulled up on Meyer as well. Which is why it's almost pointless to look up the name on its own. Have you tried using like your great grandfathers full name in a search to see if you can trace our patrilineal line back multiple generations. I did that with my great grandfather Alvin Chester Wellman and found someone searching for info on his grandfather because they were descended from one of Chester's uncles. So I was able to piggyback on their research.

Interesting. Perhaps I will try that.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:03 pm
Original Member
Original Member

mmatt9876 wrote:
The reason I believe that all the branches of the Meyer family are one family tree is because I want to feel more connected.

Well even if they have different origins it's likely that many are related or have intermarried. But wanting something to be true is a poor reason to believe something. Besides dude, even if you're not related to all the other branches of Meyers, you still statistically will have plenty of other distant relatives.
I have Browns and Lynchs in my family and I know that I am definitely not directly related to many (or any) near me. Brown is just a very common name with most of them being unrelated. Hell in the small town where I currently reside there are at least four different Brown families that are completely unrelated (I've asked members of said families).

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:44 pm

So to sum up my ancestry I am a German, Polish, Irish, and Russian American. My last name is Meyer and I belong to the German branch of the Meyer family.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 9:44 pm

Falconer360 wrote:

Well even if they have different origins it's likely that many are related or have intermarried. But wanting something to be true is a poor reason to believe something. Besides dude, even if you're not related to all the other branches of Meyers, you still statistically will have plenty of other distant relatives.
I have Browns and Lynchs in my family and I know that I am definitely not directly related to many (or any) near me. Brown is just a very common name with most of them being unrelated. Hell in the small town where I currently reside there are at least four different Brown families that are completely unrelated (I've asked members of said families).

I imagine different branches of the Meyer family could have intermarried once or many times. I am still unsure as to what level all or some Meyers are related or not. Meyer may be an occupational heredity surname but that does not mean different Meyers from around Europe cannot be closely related.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:15 pm

I have discovered my mothers Irish maiden name Colfer may actually be a variant of the English surname Colford.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:31 pm

I believe the Meyer family is composed of many family trees and family branches. I believe I belong to the German family tree/branch of the Meyer family.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:53 pm
Original Member
Original Member

mmatt9876 wrote:
I believe the Meyer family is composed of many family trees and family branches. I believe I belong to the German family tree/branch of the Meyer family.

That is not a tenable idea, its like saying that all Smith/Smyth/Sthythe etc are related. which is total nonsense.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:57 pm

paleoichneum wrote:
mmatt9876 wrote:

That is not a tenable idea, its like saying that all Smith/Smyth/Sthythe etc are related. which is total nonsense.

I agree. What I meant is that all people with the last name Meyer, belonging to the group or family, as I put it, Meyer, who belong to different backgrounds, be them English, German, Jewish, and so on are not necessarily related and probably belong to their own family tree.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:06 pm

I have discovered that researching your ancestry online using your last name alone is ineffective because the information you get is not always accurate. It is best to research your ancestry through your family or family records. Based on what I know through my family I am a German, Polish, Irish, and Russian American.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:20 pm

I wanted to apologize for my indecisiveness and insecurity concerning my ancestry and religion. I think my mental illness may have played a role in it. I hope you guys do not hate me.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:55 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I do not. The thought never even crossed my mind.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:10 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Nope, I don't hate you. I just didn't see anything that I could add.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: My Ancestry [split from off-topic thread]  |  Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:19 pm

nope, you won’t find any hate towards you on this forum