FAQ
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:45 am

Roamer
Post  Post subject: The first queen colony?  |  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:29 pm

I have been looking around OneZoom.org.
It was extremely interesting!
I was scrolling through the tree and I stumbled upon a node called "Ants, bees, and wasps".
What was the common ancestor of ants, bees, and wasps?
People argue about what use are half-circulatory system, or half-eye, or half-wings.
Those can be well explained.
The existence of queen colonies in onezoom was so sudden.
A species can only be a queen colony, or a non-queen colony.
How does half-queen colony make sense?
What was the first queen colony?

Does a creature that makes one offspring considered a queen?
How about a creature that makes two offspring?
Three? Four? Five?

What characteristics must be met for a species to be a queen colony?

Are human families considered "queen colonies"?

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: The first queen colony?  |  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:51 am
Original Member
Original Member

Roamer wrote:
I have been looking around OneZoom.org.
It was extremely interesting!
I was scrolling through the tree and I stumbled upon a node called "Ants, bees, and wasps".
What was the common ancestor of ants, bees, and wasps?
People argue about what use are half-circulatory system, or half-eye, or half-wings.
Those can be well explained.
The existence of queen colonies in onezoom was so sudden.
A species can only be a queen colony, or a non-queen colony.
How does half-queen colony make sense?
What was the first queen colony?

Does a creature that makes one offspring considered a queen?
How about a creature that makes two offspring?
Three? Four? Five?

The thing is, there are ants and wasps that have multiple queens, and ones that have in essence, none. There are wasps that do not from colonies at all, and ants whos colonies are only in the double digits.
The colony structure started as a mutual habitation structure as still seen in many of the parasitic wasp groups that colony forming groups are descended from.

i would start with looking over this page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eusociality

gbalkam
Post  Post subject: Re: The first queen colony?  |  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:09 pm

only 1. Only 1 female lays eggs in a queen colony. If a colony has 2 fertile females, one kills the other or drives them from the hive.

No. There can be more than one fertile female in a human family, although normally, these do not breed within the "hive". However, you can have the Mother of the family, and a daughter pregnant by her boyfriend but still living at home. In this case.. 2 fertile females, which can not exist in a hive.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: The first queen colony?  |  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:11 pm
Original Member
Original Member

gbalkam wrote:

only 1. Only 1 female lays eggs in a queen colony. If a colony has 2 fertile females, one kills the other or drives them from the hive.

No. There can be more than one fertile female in a human family, although normally, these do not breed within the "hive". However, you can have the Mother of the family, and a daughter pregnant by her boyfriend but still living at home. In this case.. 2 fertile females, which can not exist in a hive.

The term "queen colony" is odd. I would say it would be better not to use it, since its not one that is defined.

Social colony dwelling hymenopterans are what the op was talking about. Humans are not the same at all in that way.

Also, it is incorrect to assert that colonies only have one queen. Many species of ants and a number of wasp/bee species have 2 or more laying queens.