FAQ
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:42 am

One beer
Post  Post subject: Do computer viruses last indefinitely?  |  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:35 pm

Just wondering if computer viruses get mopped up and destroyed, or do they remain for ever on the internet?

If I disconnected my PC to avoid infection when the virus was first active, will it still get infected months or years after?

Thanks

OB

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Do computer viruses last indefinitely?  |  Posted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:13 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'm unsure. Maybe another member will be able to address with confidence, but best guess is that they do exist forever and the focus should be on immunization / inoculation via current antivirus programs.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Do computer viruses last indefinitely?  |  Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:15 pm

One beer wrote:
Just wondering if computer viruses get mopped up and destroyed, or do they remain for ever on the internet?

If I disconnected my PC to avoid infection when the virus was first active, will it still get infected months or years after?

Thanks

OB

not 100% sure, but my inclination is towards yes
unless something has changed in your set-up to sort out vulnerabilities your pc will remain susceptible to attacks

mind you I'd be willing to bet a fiver on the fact that my 20-year old Lotus Smartsuite is safe since no-one can be bothered to build viruses on defunct software

gbalkam
Post  Post subject: Re: Do computer viruses last indefinitely?  |  Posted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:39 pm

They exist until the page or website or file is deleted. A virus is just a program like any other program. So although they could be around forever, they will not work forever. Think of your baby booties your mom had saved. Do they fit now? Nope.. your feet are to big. So although they fit, they are no longer compatible with your system (feet) This is also why even during the most rapid virus outbreak, Mac users were not affected. Since most virii were written for window, they were incompatible with the Mac OS (they didn't fit). Just like any other outdated software, they no longer function, since in simple terms, the coding of the computer OS has changed to drastically. (like win 95 drivers won't work on win10)

Now, on an infected computer, they will last until you either clean the system or format the hard disk and reinstall your OS. However, all a virus does is replicate itself and fill your hard disks until there is nothing left for the system to use and your computer crashes.

See also
Trojan
Worms
Spyware
Adware
Nagware

So basically, just like any other program, a virus (trojan,worm etc) will remain on your system until removed, just like those pics you were looking at when you got the virus. lol.

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: Do computer viruses last indefinitely?  |  Posted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:05 pm

Not being sure if my computer was protected, I disconnected the internet connection as soon as I heard about the latest virus.

Now, the question is: How do I protect my computer? If I plug it back in to update my anti virus software, how do I know that the virus itself won't get in there first?

OB

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Do computer viruses last indefinitely?  |  Posted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:53 pm

I let the anti-virus take the strain + always am careful in any software I upload
so far I haven't been bitten yet
that means either that I'm being lucky or that I'm doing something right

Hannah40
Post  Post subject: Re: Do computer viruses last indefinitely?  |  Posted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:34 am

Do a thorough scan and download Ccleaner. Ccleaner is good because it has an option to clean the registry. Some virus software's can leave bugs behind so I always scan the registry because it often finds things that my V. Software can't.
Some say its best to run virus protections when disconnected to internet.
Do both.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Da Vinci

"Water is the driving force of all nature" - Da Vinci

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: Do computer viruses last indefinitely?  |  Posted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:00 pm

Thanks.

So if I am worried that my PC might not be protected, how do I obtain updated virus software online without the virus getting in my PC first?

OB.