FAQ
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:35 pm

Rory
Post  Post subject: Emotional connection - communities  |  Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:41 pm

May just be psychological projection on my part, but it seems that there is a distinct lack of emotional connection within communities i.e. little or no community spirit. Everywhere feels alone. Like, the residents are each - not out of greed, or selfishness, or ignorance - but, out of sheer necessity, consumed with concern for their own individual wellbeing.

Have you ever visited a village or town and felt an overwhelmingly positive community spirit? Some place where everybody knows and approves everybody else?

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: Emotional connection - communities  |  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:35 am

Rory wrote:
Have you ever visited a village or town and felt an overwhelmingly positive community spirit? Some place where everybody knows and approves everybody else?

Everyone doesn't need to approve of everyone else to have positive community spirit--not in the least. I live such a town, where gatherings bring out many people and numerous volunteer groups largely thrive ever working together for the larger good of the community--even if "town" meetings get occasionally testy.

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Emotional connection - communities  |  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:09 am

Which town(s) would you recommend?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Emotional connection - communities  |  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:35 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Are locations in the US an option for you?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Emotional connection - communities  |  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:24 pm

Not at the moment, but I am keen to hear of towns that you guys deem to be particularly friendly and welcoming. Then, perhaps, one day I could visit and see if I agree - or, ideally, find somewhere to live.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Emotional connection - communities  |  Posted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:09 pm

I've just come back from a holiday in Corsica and Sardinia, with a return trip via Spain, and I can assure you that in small towns and villages there, everyone appears to know everyone - presumably it's only in our advanced modern society that people hardly know their neighbours

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: Emotional connection - communities  |  Posted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:49 pm

marnixR wrote:
I've just come back from a holiday in Corsica and Sardinia, with a return trip via Spain, and I can assure you that in small towns and villages there, everyone appears to know everyone - presumably it's only in our advanced modern society that people hardly know their neighbours

Don't think that's really true for really small towns. The town I grew up in had about 1200 people, most of them have multiple generations there and any new folks, so long as they interact such as a small business are quickly known. I've lived in my current town going on three years, which has about 800 full-time residents--and recognise about half of them already--with some personal knowledge for at least a hundred. In truely small towns you end up rubbing shoulders with the same folks almost everyday--there's only one gas station within 5 miles, one hardware store, two convenience store, two churches, one IGA food store within a ten-minute drive. Unless you're house bound from illness, or otherwise a hermit, you'll constantly meet the same people over and over.

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Emotional connection - communities  |  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:53 am
Original Member
Original Member

I suppose before people put themselves forward they calculate how threatening they will seem. If it's one of hundreds on a downtown street you've got to wonder "Why me? What does this stranger really want? Do I look like a mark?" And in modern civilization, with the best intentions, we have automated and institutionalized every need to interact.

I believe most crave opportunities to do good and be friendly, which rarely appear. Kinda nice we still have natural disasters.