FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:38 am

fay's unKle
Post  Post subject: Hydrogen for fuel cells and IC engines.  |  Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:38 pm

Some time ago I saw articles, most probably from car manufacturers, describing the ideas/wishes of some, to use hydrogen as fuel for their internal combustion engines, if the economies turn to it as energy source and thus satisfy the environmental requirements.  

In my opinion it's not only the environment that has to be protected it's an  economical matter too. Internal combustion engines can't get away of an overall efficiency in the low thirties while fuel cells climb to 80%. Huge difference.

We understand how admirably the engine manufacturers have perfected them during the past 100 years or so, but they have to do the same with fuel cells and  a lot faster, because technology now is many times more advanced in all respects.

It is my humble opinion that now fuel cells are not developed by the best and the progress is very slow, if I'm not mistaken there isn't a fuel cell ready for reliable use after almost two decades of research and development.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Hydrogen for fuel cells and IC engines.  |  Posted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:06 pm
Original Member
Original Member

You are mistaken. Honda has been doing these for years, one newer model here: https://automobiles.honda.com/clarity

There are also a number of municipalities upgrading their public transportation system to use hydrogen fuel cell buses: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_cell_bus

It's not a lack of vehicle technology that's at issue here. It's generally lack of infrastructure and availability of hydrogen filling stations from town to town.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan