FAQ
It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:34 am

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Running out of air?  |  Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:43 pm

This is a scenario that's terrified me since I was a kid and saw a video on rainforest depletion. From what I've gathered it is possible due to the damage climate change is causing to ocean plant life but (as expected) the powers that be are doing little to address it. I will likely be dead by the time anything serious happens but suddenly having no air and not being able to breathe scares me more than other disaster scenarios like an asteroid or something. Why's nobody talking about this?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Running out of air?  |  Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:38 pm
Original Member
Original Member

It's understandable to be anxious about the changing climate and the impact this will have, but there will still be air.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Running out of air?  |  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:55 am

Not if there aren't enough plants.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Running out of air?  |  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:35 pm
Original Member
Original Member

That's just wrong, and remains wrong even if you focus solely on breathable air.

I agree that we should protect the ecosystem, grow more plants, and be mindful of how we treat the atmosphere.

I don't agree, however, that every plant on earth is going to die or that scare tactics like this are the best way to achieve those things.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Running out of air?  |  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:18 pm

don't forget that a lot of the earth's oxygen is produced by algae (single-called or otherwise) in the oceans
they tend to be pretty resilient, more so than terrestrial plants

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Running out of air?  |  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:21 pm
Original Member
Original Member

There is the risk of dead zones due to ocean acidification, though.

As for the OP, if would take an extremely long time for us to run out of oxygen even if ALL the oxygen generation stopped immediately (which is itself extraordinarily unlikely...life is resilient).

In the grand scheme of things, this isn't one that should keep you up at night. You have a higher risk of being killed by your toaster oven (again though, we must care for our environment and for many other more legitimate reasons).

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Running out of air?  |  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:23 pm

the worst anoxic event in the oceans happened at the end of the Permian, and as far as I'm aware, oxygen levels in the atmosphere did not suffer substantially

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Running out of air?  |  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:25 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Indeed

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Running out of air?  |  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:25 pm

I get the impression (based on all their posts, not just this thread) that the OP is actively looking for things to worry about and tends to pick nonsensical topics... (Climate change is a big issue but "running out of air" is stupid). Most of the worries they have posted on would be nullified by a high school science course...

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Running out of air?  |  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:51 pm

I know I'm not smart, you don't need to point it out again. :(

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Running out of air?  |  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:54 pm

http://inhabitat.com/runaway-carbon-emi ... en-supply/

There are others such articles like this.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Running out of air?  |  Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:52 am
Original Member
Original Member

LilSaber wrote:
I know I'm not smart, you don't need to point it out again.

I believe a larger lesson is that an education is one of the best tools to reduce ones fears.

Fear and anxiety are perfectly natural experiences. They're often quite helpful and motivate us to action.

Fear of the unknown, however, can feel overwhelming and fortunately can be easily addressed by spending time learning. At the very least, doing so will help ensure fewer of your fears are misplaced or misguided.

Also, exercise. Any physical exercise. Super good for anxiety. Self confidence. Releases happy chemicals, too.

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Running out of air?  |  Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:37 am

Read the article. It looks legitimate to me.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Running out of air?  |  Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:14 am
Original Member
Original Member

I think PhDemon is likely correct. You seem to like to worry. It can be an addiction for many, but I don't know you so do not intend this as a diagnosis or insult.

That said, your article commented on a math paper. That math paper said IF the oxygen production rate becomes too low or too high over the course of time, the system’s dynamics changes abruptly, resulting in the oxygen depletion and plankton extinction.

Read again: IF. If this, then that.

The paper does not appear to comment or offer any evidence on the likelihood of this potential outcome. It doesn't tell us if there's a 95% chance of that "if" happening or a 0.00007% chance, and yet you seem to feel it's already occurred and guaranteed.

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Running out of air?  |  Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:26 am

I don't like to worry, I just do. Because there's a lot to worry about. I just wanted to bring it up to scientists to help me make sense of it.

Yes, IF trends continue and there's no reason to believe they won't. If anything, they'll get worse.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Running out of air?  |  Posted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:06 am
Original Member
Original Member

LilSaber wrote:
I don't like to worry, I just do. Because there's a lot to worry about. I just wanted to bring it up to scientists to help me make sense of it.

Yes, IF trends continue and there's no reason to believe they won't. If anything, they'll get worse.

The paper does NOT take into account the shifting planting strategies that humans are using (eg smog reducing plants like Ginkgo in cities), or the possibility/probability of evolution producing acid tolerant or temperature tolerant plankton species. Just look at the shifts in corals from calcium to silica and back over the fossil record as oceans changed.

The article comes off as fear mongering.

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: Running out of air?  |  Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:14 am

paleoichneum wrote:
LilSaber wrote:

The paper does NOT take into account the shifting planting strategies that humans are using (eg smog reducing plants like Ginkgo in cities),

Considering land planting are only a tiny fraction of Oxygen production that doesn't matter much.

Quote:
or the possibility/probability of evolution producing acid tolerant or temperature tolerant plankton species.
Just look at the shifts in corals from calcium to silica and back over the fossil record as oceans changed.

You are right, natural adaptations of phytoplanktons to evolve are the limitations of the model but given we are pushing temperatures, and ocean acidity faster than nearly all geological analogues-we should be a bit alarmed. It's the biggest failing seems to be the inability to account for shifting geography of the existing species.

--
Time for biologist to leverage this work and build on the research.

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Running out of air?  |  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:36 am

iNow wrote:
LilSaber wrote:
I know I'm not smart, you don't need to point it out again.

I believe a larger lesson is that an education is one of the best tools to reduce ones fears.

Fear and anxiety are perfectly natural experiences. They're often quite helpful and motivate us to action.

Fear of the unknown, however, can feel overwhelming and fortunately can be easily addressed by spending time learning. At the very least, doing so will help ensure fewer of your fears are misplaced or misguided.

Also, exercise. Any physical exercise. Super good for anxiety. Self confidence. Releases happy chemicals, too.

This isn't about me. I'm not a scientist. I'm just curious about things. I read articles that appear to be from respectable sources and they can concern me. Sorry to annoy.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Running out of air?  |  Posted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:34 pm
Original Member
Original Member

LilSaber wrote:
I'm not a scientist. I'm just curious about things.

Same here

LilSaber wrote:
Sorry to annoy.

It's possible you struggle to accurately comprehend the feelings of others, at least through text-based mediums like this. To be clear, I'm not annoyed.