FAQ
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:41 pm

wireless
Post  Post subject: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:14 am

Today, the 8th of June, most of us in the UK will be going to cast our vote, some have already done so using the postal voting system. Is it the duty of every UK citizen ( who is allowed to vote ) to get out and vote? Will my vote make a difference? Anyway, I will be nipping down to the polling station to cast my vote at about 1130hrs.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:28 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I'm of the opinion that voting should be compulsory.

Will be interesting to see how far right the votes sway in this election. People tend vote more conservative when afraid, and recent terrorist activity has surely spiked fears.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:55 pm

I feel that making voting compulsory would be very hard to enforce, but I would go for it. I reckon that the Conservative party under Mrs May will romp home in the polls, but time will tell. People are scared, they are also angry at the recent terror attacks in the UK. Islamic terrorism in the UK needs to be confronted more robustly than it has in the past. The latest incident in London Borough Market, shows that the Police are up to the mark, when they very quickly took out three Islamic terrorists.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:26 pm
Original Member
Original Member

I find it useful to maintain a bit of perspective

(click to enlarge)

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:12 pm

I am quite certain that the families and friends of those murdered and maimed in the recent Islamic terrorists atrocities in the UK, do not share the perspective that you have enlightened me with.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:16 pm
Original Member
Original Member

The perspective of basic maths?

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:44 pm

iNow wrote:

No, the perspective of basic murder and maiming.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:57 pm
Original Member
Original Member

wireless wrote:
iNow wrote:

SOoooo, the perspective that, yes they went through something horrible, BUT they are not the center of the universe.

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:15 pm

paleoichneum wrote:
wireless wrote:
iNow wrote:

SOoooo, the perspective that, yes they went through something horrible, BUT they are not the center of the universe.

Not the centre of your universe, but there you go.

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:12 pm

Hung Parliament according to the exit poll.
Those who have been through or have been closely affected by those horrific experiences do not lose the ability to reason although some of course will be angry and distraught.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:02 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Looks like my initial post was off. The right is losing badly according to those exit polls

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:21 am
Original Member
Original Member

wireless wrote:
paleoichneum wrote:
wireless wrote:

Not the centre of your universe, but there you go.

why should that small segment dictate though?

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:28 pm

A hung parliament it is, this election has been very entertaining, lets see what happens next.

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:37 pm

@ paleoichneum, What small segment are you talking about? what are they dictating and to whom?

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:55 pm
Original Member
Original Member

wireless wrote:
@ paleoichneum, What small segment are you talking about? what are they dictating and to whom?

You said the victims of terrorist attacks will disagree that other causes of death have higher numbers than terrorism and the deaths it causes. You implied their feelings are more important than the feelings of others dying from nonterrorism related issues.

That's the small group... those victims of terrorism and their families. It's a vanishingly small number.

It's right there above for all to see. That's the beauty of text based media like our forum. You can reread before responding if memory fails.

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:40 pm

iNow wrote:
wireless wrote:

You said the victims of terrorist attacks will disagree that other causes of death have higher numbers than terrorism and the deaths it causes. You implied their feelings are more important than the feelings of others dying from nonterrorism related issues.

That's the small group... those victims of terrorism and their families. It's a vanishingly small number.

It's right there above for all to see. That's the beauty of text based media like our forum. You can reread before responding if memory fails.

Yes that is how I understood it too.

There is an argument for giving extra weight to their views but not for assuming their views (in perhaps a convenient way) and using them for rhetorical effect.

There are people who were victims of the "troubles" in N.Ireland who went out of their way to create channels of communication with their supposed enemies

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordon_Wi ... campaigner)

I did not necessarily agree with his approach but it was authentic (he had earned the right).

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:06 pm

iNow wrote:
wireless wrote:

You come across as extremely smug and very callous, but there you go.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:33 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Appreciate your thoughts. I could comment on how you come across, but it seems my parents raised me better than yours raised you.

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:22 am
Original Member
Original Member

wireless wrote:
iNow wrote:
wireless wrote:

You come across as extremely smug and very callous, but there you go.

Irrelevant to the point being made. You are deflecting.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:27 pm
Original Member
Original Member

paleoichneum wrote:

Which is what he does a lot.

Anyways, despite being an American observer I was hoping for a Labour win. The hung parliament makes things very interesting though.

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:09 pm

Falconer360 wrote:
paleoichneum wrote:

Which is what he does a lot.

Anyways, despite being an American observer I was hoping for a Labour win. The hung parliament makes things very interesting though.

Yes, it does make things very interesting, and Jeremy Corbyn still thinks that he is in with a chance of forming a minority government. Politics in the UK, and the USA, over the last 12 months or so, has returned astounding results. Long may it continue.

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:34 pm
Original Member
Original Member

wireless wrote:
Yes, it does make things very interesting, and Jeremy Corbyn still thinks that he is in with a chance of forming a minority government. Politics in the UK, and the USA, over the last 12 months or so, has returned astounding results. Long may it continue.

Yes I agree the results were shocking, especially over here in the USA, but I have no desire for it to continue. I would like to see a return towards sense.

Lynx_Fox
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:59 am

Falconer360 wrote:
Yes I agree the results were shocking, especially over here in the USA, .

Can you explain? Cause I havent' run into a single American who's brought it up, seems to care, or understands what it means-- I certainly don't understand what it means either given their definitions of "conservative" seem completely different from the US.

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:38 am

Lynx_Fox wrote:
Falconer360 wrote:

Can you explain? Cause I havent' run into a single American who's brought it up, seems to care, or understands what it means-- I certainly don't understand what it means either given their definitions of "conservative" seem completely different from the US.

Here is my take * .

The election was "won" by a (Conservative) party that was leading in the polls extraordinarily comfortably on the eve of (its) calling the election.
It was (fairly) narrowly lost by the opposition (Labour) Party which had been clearly trailing in the opinion polls by the corresponding same amount.

The ground made up by the Labour Party was very great over the 6 week period of the campaign and surprising to many people (to me also but not totally)

The significance of the reversal of fortune is great as the British government now has to negotiate the terms of the "divorce" from the EU as a consequence of the earlier EU referendum.

The demographic that seems to have "worked" for the Labour Party is the youth vote(apparently) and so this brings to my my some kind of a Bernie Sanders effect .

The leader of the Labour Party has been in deep dispute with his own Parliamentary Party who doubted he would ever have any appeal to the electorate as a whole and thought he only represented a wing of the Party rather than any broad base(my view too)

The division in the Labour Party over this apparently unrepresentative leader lead me to believe that the Labour Party would fracture and die.

So yes ,overall shocking and confusing with everything now to play for..

*caveat : I have been diagnosed with DK syndrome on another forum on this issue(in truth ,I still find it hard to accept that the Labour Party is not dead despite its apparent Lazarus awakening)

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: UK General Election 2017.  |  Posted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:18 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Lynx_Fox wrote:
Falconer360 wrote:

Sorry I should have worded that differently. Wireless said that " Politics in the UK, and the USA, over the last 12 months or so, has returned astounding results. Long may it continue." I was replying to the results of the politics in the last 12 months in the USA part as being shocking. The hung parliament wasn't shocking to me, interesting though. Sorry I was so ambiguous.