FAQ
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:45 pm

anticorncob28
Post  Post subject: Trump pulls out out Paris Agreement  |  Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:13 am

This really makes my blood boil. I won't quote since I'm sure most of you already know.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-u-s-withdraw-paris-climate-agreement-article-1.3213184

This website predicts 0.1 to 0.3 degrees Celsius of warming due to this action alone:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/scientists-donald-trump-pull-out-paris-climate-change-agreement-a7759411.html
This is why I hate the Republican party so much. I disagree with them on virtually everything, but outside of climate change, I don't think we have the future of civilization at risk if they get their way. Even right-wingers from other countries acknowledge the problem.
I hope that other countries and individual states will beef up their action to more than make up for this horrific decision from Trump.
What do you guys think?

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Trump pulls out out Paris Agreement  |  Posted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:24 am

anticorncob28 wrote:
This really makes my blood boil. I won't quote since I'm sure most of you already know.
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/trump-u-s-withdraw-paris-climate-agreement-article-1.3213184

This website predicts 0.1 to 0.3 degrees Celsius of warming due to this action alone:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/scientists-donald-trump-pull-out-paris-climate-change-agreement-a7759411.html
This is why I hate the Republican party so much. I disagree with them on virtually everything, but outside of climate change, I don't think we have the future of civilization at risk if they get their way. Even right-wingers from other countries acknowledge the problem.
I hope that other countries and individual states will beef up their action to more than make up for this horrific decision from Trump.
What do you guys think?

I have an inclination to think of the Republican party as separate from Trump. This act and the support it has received from the Republican leaders of both Houses makes me reassess that probably naive assumption.

It is sickening . As if the problem wasn't hard (impossible?) enough as it it . I try to find silver linings...

If Trump is impeached on other counts I hope that this can somehow be also taken into consideration.

anticorncob28
Post  Post subject: Re: Trump pulls out out Paris Agreement  |  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:32 am

geordief wrote:
I have an inclination to think of the Republican party as separate from Trump. This act and the support it has received from the Republican leaders of both Houses makes me reassess that probably naive assumption.

The only significant difference between Trump and other Republicans is his attitude.

geordief wrote:
It is sickening . As if the problem wasn't hard (impossible?) enough as it it . I try to find silver linings...

It's impossible and there is no silver lining, at least in a meaningful manner. The idea that we can still keep temperatures below 2C is utterly laughable. I literally laughed out loud when I read the 1.5 degree goal on the Paris agreement. With many scientists warning that 2 degrees is not a good goal because it's too much to handle. and the hopeless situation we've discovered with arctic methane, all together with the most powerful country on earth run by people who deny the problem exists, it's a clear game over for the climate.

The best "silver lining" is seeing people take individual actions and watching other countries make up for us, so the defeat doesn't burn quite as bad. As I mentioned in the OP, perhaps the action sparked from this withdrawal could outweigh the lacked action from the withdrawal.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Trump pulls out out Paris Agreement  |  Posted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:13 pm
Original Member
Original Member

A potential silver lining is that this action will potentially cause a whiplash, and more intense response in the opposite direction. People get so mad they redouble their efforts, but we'll see. I agree it's awful, but it's also perfectly inline with what he promised before getting elected.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Tanny
Post  Post subject: Re: Trump pulls out out Paris Agreement  |  Posted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:08 pm

iNow wrote:
A potential silver lining is that this action will potentially cause a whiplash, and more intense response in the opposite direction.

I agree with this. Trump may be helping all of us see that we can't count on the federal government fixing this for us, we need to get involved. Gov. Jerry Brown of California seems to be emerging as leader at the sub-federal level, and many states, communities and companies seem to be rallying to his call that we better organize and proceed to implement Paris with or without Trump etc. California has the sixth largest economy in the world, and they are both cutting emissions AND boosting their economy, a great example for the rest of us.

In fact, it may be the best thing to come out of California since Janis Joplin and LSD. Well, ok, ok, so now I'm getting all carried away. :-)

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Trump pulls out out Paris Agreement  |  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:34 am
Original Member
Original Member

We may continue heading in the right direction, but must acknowledge we need to do so faster. Lack of support from the US federal government is at best an uneeded headwind, more likely a decision needlessly increasing the future climate related death count.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Trump pulls out out Paris Agreement  |  Posted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:06 am

for a number of years now I've been convinced that CO2 levels will continue to rise on the business-as-usual model, whatever politicians do or say, so we may as well start making plans to deal with the consequences

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Trump pulls out out Paris Agreement  |  Posted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:31 pm

I'm not taking this news very well. My already high anxiety is through the roof now. I'm just so angry and want to cry. :cry:

Pong
Post  Post subject: Re: Trump pulls out out Paris Agreement  |  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:12 am
Original Member
Original Member

Another silver lining: it's an experiment!
anticorncob28 wrote:

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Trump pulls out out Paris Agreement  |  Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:42 pm

Pong wrote:
Another silver lining: it's an experiment!
anticorncob28 wrote:

I can see that silver lining becoming a bit tarnished : once the experiment has started, there's no way of stopping it