FAQ
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:16 pm

fay's unKle
Post  Post subject: How much personal wealth is too much.  |  Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 4:24 pm

Can "biological" and psycological considerations set limits to social and economic practices.

Assume you own big chunks of land. Progressively you add more and more and you own so much that you can hardly see the other end, on flat land, when standing at the one side. You are pleased and happy and most probably proud, positive feelings that they say it's good for you, they contribute to your wellbeing. As business is very good....you keep buying more land and you can't see it all (seeing is very important for perception) anymore. To make a long story short, you have under your possession the land of the whole state and then all northwest of the country or the continent or the world. DOES THIS MAKE SENSE, DO YOU FEEL ANYTHING THINKING OF YOUR POSSESSIONS.

The human brain doesn't have the capacity to comprehend it. It's like thinking of the universe and trying to understand how big it is, and where are its boundaries. BLANK, your mind stops, no matter how capable and clever you may be.

The human being is mental and psychological/sentimental entity, wants always to find sense and experiences feelings. Very, very few, if any, are different than this, some of their brain circuitries have defects or have been neutralized, like it's done with the amygdala for example for fearfull situations, and they live their lives numb.

That's how it is with money too, it makes, in my opinion, sense to earn and have in your possession dozens or hundreds of millions and at the most a few billion, but dozens of billions ? BLANK, COMPLETELY BLANK. Is unaturally high. These people have stopped feeling how much is their wealth, worth. Can't think of it, nobody's brain has the capacity, even if they think of it with reference to what they can buy. Biologically speaking.

PS. More to come on accumulating extra wealth; the tip of the iceberg and the others below; they would have produced the same for the society if they have made 5bn and not 50bn with different profit "rates", they would have been equally lured by their gains; How to divide the pies then. For a start, for businesses of scale, should what we call owners/employers get more than all the employees together.Is this against the "values" of western style economies, the people of which enjoy the highest standards of living, and the "free markets"

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: How much personal wealth is too much.  |  Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:18 am
Original Member
Original Member

We often desensitize to the value of individual "units" of an item the more "units" we acquire. That's true, but to suggest we're too feeble or our minds too limited to comprehend these fantastic scales is false, whether talking about money, galaxies, or otherwise.

Hard? Yes, but hardly impossible. You cannot categorically say humans are incapable of understanding even though such a comment may accurately describe many people. "Many" not equal "all."

As for distribution of wealth, I recommend focusing less on how much a CEO earns and focusing more on the wellbeing of each of the employees in their company... specifically their wages and ensuring they adequately scale with productivity. Throughout history, when productivity went up so did wages, but that previously tight relationship began to breakdown in the 1980s.

A healthy middle class makes for a healthy economy, especially one as critically dependent on consumerism as is ours. The problem we're facing is a lack of investment in our workers (largely the result of union busting) and lack of investment in shared social welfare programs. We make it far harder by failing to increase revenue from top earners, but it's simplistic to the point of being wrong to suggest our problems stem from top earners incomes being too far above the incomes of others.

A simpler answer to the OP: It depends entirely on what one does with their personal wealth, how they spend it, and what programs are in place to support those who lack wealth.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

fay's unKle
Post  Post subject: Re: How much personal wealth is too much.  |  Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:19 pm

iNow wrote:
We often desensitize to the value of individual "units" of an item the more "units" we acquire.

And we are led to this for 50 bn possessions:
fay's unKle wrote:
DOES THIS MAKE SENSE, DO YOU FEEL ANYTHING THINKING OF YOUR POSSESSIONS.

iNow wrote:
.... to suggest we're too feeble or our minds too limited to comprehend these fantastic scales is false, whether talking about money, galaxies, or otherwise.

I'm sorry but,
fay's unKle wrote:
The human brain doesn't have the capacity to comprehend it. It's like thinking of the universe and trying to understand how big it is, and where are its boundaries. BLANK, your mind stops, no matter how capable and clever you may be.

People must not be offended by this. Let's not follow wrong thinking patterns here.To comprehend what is 70 bn or 70 quintillion it doesn't mean that you get a meaning for the connected physical quantities that it's referring to. We need quite a bit of thinking to even comprehend what's 5 or 10 light-years distance.

I stick to my subject: What it is, and how is it to have more that you can handle, in all respect, for here I chose a socially sensitive subject, personal wealth. Else try to perceive how to handle all web pages, (one of magical internet's greatness) because actually you have them in your disposal, so naturally you think how you will handle them and you choose not to, but only to handle small parts of it, as you can manage to isolate, to satisfy your needs. It's not the same as handling the whole, you didn't touch it, It's like your personal wealth, elsewhere, in knowledge and other useful information. (productivity vs hourly compensation)

On the figure of productivity vs hourly compensation
This is a good one. That's why less and less people hold more and more of the total accumulated wealth.It doesn't matter if dividing it to all, it spares 100 or 200 to each. In the process of taking place, in my humble opinion, it hurts the economy, but can't proove it, nor I have read anything to support it.

iNow wrote:
Hard? Yes, but hardly impossible. You cannot categorically say humans are incapable of understanding even though such a comment may accurately describe many people. "Many" not equal "all."

That's true for the case of saying, a 75 kg person who runs 100m in 10 sec is a 10 hp engine.

iNow wrote:
The problem we're facing is a lack of investment in our workers

I wouldn't expect a lot on this. Investment goes to AUTOMATION.
Something else on the human nature: Most all want to "perform" without the need of others, if they can they will.

iNow wrote:
A healthy middle class makes for a healthy economy, especially one as critically dependent on consumerism as is ours.

One must not forget it. There is a lot of depth in this thought, do all know (understand) it. And I mean high too.

iNow wrote:
It depends entirely on what one does with their personal wealth, how they spend it,

For the way that I adress my subject it's immaterial.

iNow wrote:
It depends entirely on what one does with their personal wealth, how they spend it, and what programs are in place to support those who lack wealth.

Let's not get carried away and falsify,mixing and referring to social believes. I treat these as two different subjects, never mentioned anything for the second group nor I implied anything. It's anybody's business though to jump to this related subject but clearly stating that it's his, as in: it's my opinion...or I believe...or I think. (Or how (whatever) else the people whose English is their native language know.)

It's my humble opinion that psychologically and biologically, because the mind is a result of the brain, to own 70 billion is not natural. (no matter how genes are expressed and differentiated; a joke) But it's not their falt, no, they use the existing laws, rules and regulations. It's that the elected don't know or want to correct them, not overturn, only correct them.

PS. I'm looking for free lunches here, just in case that someone has in mind research studies that found clues as to if and which parts of the brain show increased activation when comprehends and when not. To persons whose mentality drives them to such considerations is like proof of concept, BUT NOT POLITICALLY off course, politicians don't take considerations of such things. Politics is all about interests, and 50.01% wins. I will in time search the www for this. (It's not always easy. I search so much for this stuff that google brings a screen up asking to show that it's not a robot)

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: How much personal wealth is too much.  |  Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 12:50 pm
Original Member
Original Member

You keep saying it's not natural, but it's happening within nature so clearly is.

The accumulation of wealth and resources also helped our ancestors survive better than those who didn't do this and was obviously selected for, so is clearly natural in that regard, too.

How are you defining natural?

Perhaps you mean having huge wealth isn't aligned with your personal opinion of what's best for society and you're then conflating your personal opinion with an understanding of what is and is not natural.

Maybe you can say another way why you think it's wrong to have 70 billion instead of 1 billion, where you think the line is between wealth that's okay to have and wealth that's not okay to have, and why you draw the line there instead of somewhere else.

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: How much personal wealth is too much.  |  Posted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:09 pm

@ fay`s unkle, Bill Gates has a trouser pocket full of dosh, he earned that money and he is a pretty cool guy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Gates

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: How much personal wealth is too much.  |  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:30 am
Original Member
Original Member

Is he cool because he's philanthropic with it and gets good press for helping others?

wireless
Post  Post subject: Re: How much personal wealth is too much.  |  Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:00 pm

In my mind, Bill Gates is cool because he is a computer genius and a world class entrepreneur. He does pursue philanthropy, it is his money, he can do what he likes with it.