FAQ
It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:30 pm

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Manchester bombing  |  Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 10:28 pm

One current student and one ex-student of the college I work at were killed by the cowardly suicide bomber in Manchester. I do not have the linguistic skills to adequately convey my contempt for those who would perpetrate this kind of cowardly attack and believe they are doing "god's work". It just strengthens my belief that religion, if not the root of all evil, is responsible for more than its fair share.

- Kurt Vonnegut, The Sirens of Titan

Chrispen Evan
Post  Post subject: Re: Manchester bombing  |  Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:26 pm

Sorry to hear that mate.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Manchester bombing  |  Posted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:31 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Perhaps not religion per se, but a tribalism that's been coupled with a selected advantage for between group aggression... Oh, and psychoses, neuroses, and assholoses... 8-)

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

geordief
Post  Post subject: Re: Manchester bombing  |  Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 12:01 am

Sadly we have been told repeatedly that it was not a question of "if" but "when". It was Manchester (and Ph's colleagues) who drew the short straw this time-perhaps "aided" by the fact that the regions are seen as softer targets than London.

I feel that religion is like an addictive social weakness but realize that to demonize it overall or in any particular way is both wrong and counter productive.

Perhaps,if as a group we have/earn the time we may come to find more useful and meaningful interests so that these tribalisms will wither away of their own accord.

Watch this space (no "resigned" icon? )

Falconer360
Post  Post subject: Re: Manchester bombing  |  Posted: Fri May 26, 2017 9:06 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Sorry to hear that Demon. Cowardly acts like that make me wish I still believed in an afterlife...

Rory
Post  Post subject: Re: Manchester bombing  |  Posted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:10 pm

Is it not a response to Western foreign policy in the Middle East?

Lee Rigby's killer claimed his motive was revenge ("eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth") against the killing of Muslims by British soldiers.

If you haven't already seen it, view 'wikileaks collateral murder'.

>100,000 civilians were killed in Iraq alone - our governments are lighting up the Middle East in our name.

mmatt9876
Post  Post subject: Re: Manchester bombing  |  Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:33 pm

Sorry to hear about your losses. My best wishes go out to all those who died, were hurt, or lost somebody in the Manchester bombings.

iNow
Post  Post subject: Re: Manchester bombing  |  Posted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:32 pm
Original Member
Original Member

Rory wrote:
Is it not a response to Western foreign policy in the Middle East?

Perhaps in part, but don't you find this overly simplistic? Are you able to think of other factors that could also have contributed to the actions of this disturbed individual?

"[Time] is one of those concepts that is profoundly resistant to a simple definition." ~C. Sagan

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: Manchester bombing  |  Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 3:36 am
Original Member
Original Member

Sorry to hear that Ph.

Time for all religions to remove their extreme elements, or at least start working on it. IMHO they need to do more than just offer a prayer.

In the history of human conflict, has the strategy of killing innocent civilians or non-combatants ever forced one warring side to capitulate or halt/lessen their aggression? I don't understand how pissing off the foe could ever bring an end to or easing of hostilities. Risking it all by inviting even heavier responses from a powerful enemy is the best way to win a war? Whatever happened to detente?

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Manchester bombing  |  Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:14 am

The problem is the radical fringe don't want to bring an end to hostilities... This applies to the fundamentalist Christians as well as Muslims, a shockingly large number of Christians believe Jesus will return in their lifetime and see global conflict as the best way of bringing about Armageddon and the second coming. As Christopher Hitchens says, if you are relying on the believers of suicidal death cults to cease hostilities you are on to a loser...

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Re: Manchester bombing  |  Posted: Mon May 29, 2017 7:01 pm
Original Member
Original Member

IMHO the onus of responsibility for these murderous thugs is on their various religions, yet they do precious little to stop their religion becoming a motive.

Stalin talked of 'useful idiots', it isn't hard for me to think of the radicalized militants as such. They've taken over the title of Scum of the Earth.

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

One beer
Post  Post subject: Re: Manchester bombing  |  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:16 am

@Demon, my thoughts are with you.

PhDemon
Post  Post subject: Re: Manchester bombing  |  Posted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:53 am

Cheers OB

LilSaber
Post  Post subject: Re: Manchester bombing  |  Posted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:14 pm

I'm sorry that happened. Seems to happen a lot more than it used to. You may have heard about that Afghan robotics team. This recently befell them. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40818787