FAQ
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 4:59 am

anticorncob28
Post  Post subject: Math question  |  Posted: Sat May 13, 2017 2:49 am

I already know the answer to this; I want to see if you guys can do it.

Let n be an integer greater than 10 such that the decimal expansion of 1/n repeats with period (n - 1). Prove that the decimal expansion of 1/n must contain an 8.

Olinguito
Post  Post subject: Re: Math question  |  Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:52 pm

I can't prove it but one thing I can be sure of is that n must be a prime number. This is because the length of the period of recurrence in the decimal expansion of $\frac1n$ must be a divisor of $\phi(n)$ (where $\phi$ is the Euler totient function, denoting the number of positive integers not greater than than n which are relatively prime to n). This can be shown as a consequence of Euler's theorem (a generalization of Fermat's little theorem). For n > 2 (and if it's greater than 10 it is certainly greater than 2) $\phi(n)$ is not divisible by $n-1$ unless $n=p$, a prime. (Note that this is only a necessary condition, not a sufficient one: there are some primes p (e.g. p = 11) for which $\frac1p$ has a decimal-expansion period less than $p-1$.)

As for the problem, it appears that there is nothing special about the digit 8: all the digits 0–9 appear in the decimal expansion, in some order or other. I don't know why this is so but I suspect it has to do with the fact that when n is prime, the ring of integers modulo n is a field. (And the fact that for some primes p the period of recurrence is less than $p-1$ may be due to the fact that 10 is not a primitive root modulo p.) Or maybe there is a much simpler, down-to-earth explanation. :roll:

anticorncob28
Post  Post subject: Re: Math question  |  Posted: Sun May 14, 2017 9:51 pm

Olinguito wrote:
I can't prove it but one thing I can be sure of is that n must be a prime number. This is because the length of the period of recurrence in the decimal expansion of $\frac1n$ must be a divisor of $\phi(n)$ (where $\phi$ is the Euler totient function, denoting the number of positive integers not greater than than n which are relatively prime to n). This can be shown as a consequence of Euler's theorem (a generalization of Fermat's little theorem). For n > 2 (and if it's greater than 10 it is certainly greater than 2) $\phi(n)$ is not divisible by $n-1$ unless $n=p$, a prime. (Note that this is only a necessary condition, not a sufficient one: there are some primes p (e.g. p = 11) for which $\frac1p$ has a decimal-expansion period less than $p-1$.)

As for the problem, it appears that there is nothing special about the digit 8: all the digits 0–9 appear in the decimal expansion, in some order or other. I don't know why this is so but I suspect it has to do with the fact that when n is prime, the ring of integers modulo n is a field. (And the fact that for some primes p the period of recurrence is less than $p-1$ may be due to the fact that 10 is not a primitive root modulo p.) Or maybe there is a much simpler, down-to-earth explanation. :roll:

You're (somewhat) on the right track. There is nothing special about the digit 8, and the same general reasoning that proves it with 8 will also prove it for the digits 0 - 9.
The solution (or at least my solution) does not involve fields, or any abstract algebra at all. It can be understood with high school algebra and knowing modular arithmetic.

anticorncob28
Post  Post subject: Re: Math question  |  Posted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:00 am

Okay, here's a hint:
What happens if you move the decimal point?
If nobody answers then I'll post the answer, and maybe add further math challenges on this thread.