FAQ
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:38 pm

Osmium
Post  Post subject: Installing packages on Windows with Cygwin  |  Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:48 am

Dear community,

by trying to install diverse packages for scientific computing, I permanently run into troubles and errors, those being different on different computers (e.g. I tried to install gnu scientific library and LAPACK/CLAPACK/CBLAS on Windows 7/10).
So, let's assume we have a Windows 7 64bit system and Cygwin as shell of choice, with the necessary commands (./configure, make) available and we follow the instructions in the Readme files as far as possible, and maybe having DevCpp (or another suitable compiler) to run the programs in C/C++ (NOT Fortran).

It would be really great if somebody could give step-by-step instructions of what one has to do exactly (e.g., installing gsl as a show-case) and where one has to pay special attention, maybe clarifying concepts on the way (e.g., what is "mypath" and environment variables, and is it sufficient to be in the root folder of the program, or do I need to add some paths in system configuration of Windows; or what one has to consider when configuring the Makefiles; and if it makes a difference using different shells (e.g. not Cygwin, but maybe MSYS) when building from source). I think clarification of concepts might already help a lot.

Thanks in advance - I know this is a lot, but I am completely lost in all that stuff, so special thanks to you already!

Osmium
Post  Post subject: Re: Installing packages on Windows with Cygwin  |  Posted: Wed May 10, 2017 10:49 am

PS: I intentionally didn't mention the errors which occur yet - so focus is on description on how to do it in general. I'd post errors when they occur on the way then, for better tracking.