FAQ
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:02 am

Zinjanthropos
Post  Post subject: Mosaic Evolution  |  Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 12:52 am
Original Member
Original Member

I saw this term today in an article. I don't remember ever seeing it before. I read up on it a little bit and as near as I can understand it deals with parts of an organism developing at different stages than another. I likened it to solid state wherein each module evolves separately but at different times.

Does mosaic evolution require one body module to adapt to changes in another, thus triggering the next stage of evolution in a different region of the body?

"Science is much better than religion because our faith is shakeable. There can be something I believe with all my heart to be absolutely true, and the minute there's evidence that it isn't true, I throw it out like yesterday's garbage"-Krauss

paleoichneum
Post  Post subject: Re: Mosaic Evolution  |  Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 3:22 am
Original Member
Original Member

Zinjanthropos wrote:
I saw this term today in an article. I don't remember ever seeing it before. I read up on it a little bit and as near as I can understand it deals with parts of an organism developing at different stages than another. I likened it to solid state wherein each module evolves separately but at different times.

Does mosaic evolution require one body module to adapt to changes in another, thus triggering the next stage of evolution in a different region of the body?

There isn't a such thing as "triggering the next stage of evolution".

It sounds like the article you read made some rather odd assertions or examples of the concept. Can you link it so we can see it and evaluate what it is saying.

marnixR
Post  Post subject: Re: Mosaic Evolution  |  Posted: Fri May 05, 2017 7:00 am

mosaic evolution can only be defined in hindsight, by looking at a creature and noticing that various aspects of its morphology did not arrive on the scene in one fell swoop,but were acquired independently at different time periods

it goes to show that organisms can be fully functional in their own way without the full set of adaptations of the modern organism
it also goes to show that simplistic adaptationist views such as "feathers are for flying" are misguided, since many features can be multi-functional, and often shifts in functionality can be as important as acquiring new features